[Anime] Subtitles vs Dubbing

If you are unable to read/write Japanese, which do you prefer when watching anime?  

361 members have voted

1. 1. If you are unable to read/write Japanese, which do you prefer when watching anime?

• Subtitles (including fansubs)
    • Dubbing (including fandubs)

Joekr, your intelligence should be called into question, as you couldn't even understand what my reply was about in the other thread. In case you've forgotten, My post was intended as a sarcastic remark to hopefully teach you to stop being a jerk to other people because they have another opinion which differs from yours. Your poll is also flawed, as there is no choice for those of us who hate subs and dubs (which i've said both are worthless and I won't waste my time with either of them.) Films should be enjoyed in their original format, and I for one am willing to take the time to expand my horizons instead of taking what I consider to be the lazy way out of things. Either you read wrong into my reply, or just flat out ignored my thoughts on the subject.

No subs. No dubs. Both are a waste, in my opinion, and both are equally bad.

There is no need to question my intelligence Quantum as you are in position to be measuring my intelligence (or anyone else's for that matter). The poll's question is clear. Perhaps you should read over the question again as you obviously don't understand: If you understand Japanese, the question isn't for you :ermm:

Similarily, the context in which I made my original comment was given you don't understand Japanese, subs are infinitely superior than dubs.

And if you don't understand Japanese, how do you understand what's going on without subs or dubs?

You can leave your smart-ass hat at the door the next time you stop by to post a comment.

I dislike dub - but the other day, watched Akira dubbed so that I could *WATCH* it... I began watched subtitled but kept finding myself wanting to view the film as opposed to reading.

Usually watch subtitled though, prefer the Japanese or w/e voices, they fit better, and ... I just don't like dubbed stuff, the voices usually suck.

I have to say, I like Akiras dubbing, it was good.

subs all the way

dubs most of the time kills the atmosfere, the sound of some voices is not just right...

and as someone said subs is good for everything, live action movies, tv series and all :p its so much better that way

but being that said, there are some anime that can be see dubbed, but the amount is very very small

Edited by machorro

Well I don't know much about anime (except for the odd Japanese cartoon on TV), but I can tell you, in France EVERYTHING is dubbed, and it SUCKS (especially english movies, where I would understand the original language far better). Subtitles are far superior and don't involve a failed actor's voice. Harry Potter was particularly painful.

I'm very torn in one way because I like dubbing for the simple fact that its much easier to pay attention to the artistic details and whats going on if you aren't having to constantly stare at the bottom of the screen in order to read what people are saying. But obviously the big advantage to properly translated subtitles is that you get to hear the actual Japanese voice acting, whihc almost always seems superb, whereas the American dubbed voice acting leaves quite a bit to be desired.

I'm very torn in one way because I like dubbing for the simple fact that its much easier to pay attention to the artistic details and whats going on if you aren't having to constantly stare at the bottom of the screen in order to read what people are saying. But obviously the big advantage to properly translated subtitles is that you get to hear the actual Japanese voice acting, whihc almost always seems superb, whereas the American dubbed voice acting leaves quite a bit to be desired.

586595685[/snapback]

I'm torn too. With subtitles you usually get closer to the original dialog but it's never always 100% accurate. With a series like Trigun the dubbing kinda fits quite well but there are many dodgy ones out there, Dragonball movies being some of the best examples, I can't stop laughing at those, although the series wasn't as bad.

The real problem I have with subtitles is that the missus won't watch Anime or films with subtitles because she can't keep up with them, and if she can't watch it then neither can I usually. This leaves me having to wrestle TV time from her :(

Subs. I think if I watched Advent Children dubbed it would have taken away some of the magic to it. I also watched Evangelion Subbed (Series, and the first film) and Dubbed (End of Evangelion), I preferred the subbed because the thole thing feels so much more natural.

I always perfer to watch subtiltes and once you get use to it reading and watching is not a problem for me.

When they dub energenic young girls for example (cough excel saga) the english version makes them even more high pitched / ear bleeding then have to be.

Perfect example is the contest for the voting of the re-release of outlanders on dvd, you can hear all the voice actor and vote which one you want. They sound almost the same, and high pitched ...

http://www.centralparkmedia.com/outlanders/

Just listen to Princess Kahm voice actors...

I found the subtitile give more of the emotions / natural flow of the series where dub can pull it off perfectly or kill it completely.

Here's a fun test listen to it an english and have subtiltiles on... you never know what will happen.

• 2 weeks later...

The dub for cowboy bebop is my favorite ever, but other than that it can go either way. Dubbed Fullmetal Alchemist is terrible (Scar doesn't sound menacing at all and there was too much echo in Alphonse's voice).

Dubs are better for watching the animation, subs are better the rest of the time. So its subs for me

The problem with dubbing is that it's never done PROPERLY, everyone keeps saying "oh, well, they screw everything up and the voices suck" etc. etc.

I find that the Myazaki movies have excellent dubbing, especially because they get good actors/actresses to play the roles. Anime on TV would die off, practically instantly if it was subtitled IMO, simply because people in our culture have a big problem with reading, "I have to read this? oh screw that!" "Joke's too long, didn't read", I do this too, you guys know what I'm talking about... I hope >.>

for now, I would prefer to watch anime with subtitles, simply because I am often deterred from shows because of crappy, whiny, hermaphrodite-like voices that keep talking for hours at a time. If however, they were DONE PROPERLY and used DECENT VA'S then I would probably watch more things dubbed.

I would never willingly watch a movie in theatres (cdn spl. btw ^.^) if it was dubbed, I'd probably go crazy by the end of it, and when their lips don't match it gives me a headache -__-"

• 2 weeks later...
I would have to agree on your opinion, there is simply to much that gets cut out. Whats worst is 3 co-workers are on work visa's from Japan, they're more furious on at NA anime market for dubbing. Just today my friend Taka was going on about Vampire Hunter D in english.

586521707[/snapback]

From what I remember and know Vampire Hunter D was originaly done in English and then a Japanese dub was made, I'm talking about Bloodlust so if it was abut the original one I have no idea.

And subs for me all the way :p Dubs are a pain to listen to, when I heard FMA dubbed I almost had a stroke and had to change the channel in hopes that I will never hear it again, it was so bad :pinch:

well, for me, if the voices on one track or another makes is bad i'll usually prefer the other, dispite the language. What i really get ****ed off about is the difference between translation and localization. Like when CN was showing SailorMoon not only did they have a God aweful translation but they changed alot of art, such as swapping out chopsticks for a fork, etc....