,Vista Build 5219 Ultimate Edition, Quick View!~

The Facts:

Build String: 5219.winmain_idx02.050830-2010

ISO Size: 2.73 GB (2,937,989,120 bytes)

On Tuesday at PDC (Professional Developers Conference) Microsoft proudly unveiled the latest incarnation of its new flagship desktop operating system. Windows Vista build 5219 is to date the most complete and stunning look at this new next-generation OS we've seen yet.

It seems that with every major release so far of Vista we've had a bit of controversy. This time it was leaked screenshots that were from another build date of 5219. Those shots show quite a number of things that you won't see with this build (or they're just disabled by default). It will come as a disappointment to many of you who were looking forward to all of those features. Fear not though, there are many many changes in this PDC build that will keep you poking around for quite some time.

I've had the opportunity to play with this build some and can report a few changes before we get started taking a look at it. The first thing you won't notice, but will need to note is that there are now multiple versions all rolled into the initial setup. The keys provided to PDC attendees are of the "Ultimate Edition" flavor. There are up to 7 others that will determine the general feature set installed. Vista Ultimate is exactly what it implies, all the features, nothing left out. At this point, setup is visually unchanged from previous builds you may have seen. In other words you won't know what version has installed until you get to the desktop and check.

What's not here: SideBar, Windows Picture Library, Game Performance Tweaker and MovieMaker to name a few.

What's new here: Media Center, Tablet PC components, Safedocs, new games, a whole bunch of drivers. Multiple versions of Vista in one single file, installs are based on the install key.

5219.11.jpg

5219.12.jpg

5219.2.jpg

5219.3.jpg

5219.4.jpg

5219.7.jpg

mce.jpg

music.jpg

solitare.jpg

Love the way Media Center is looking so far. Gotta love solitaire. However one thing I've noticed in the screenshots of this build around - Explorer windows have no title caption! This also applies to Windows Internet Explorer too...

Safe docs is already included in 5112, nice screenshots though, especially the Media Center screenies.

586524527[/snapback]

Yea they are. Good to see Media Center is being worked on and it looks promising.

MCE looks pants...doesn't look different shell wise at all :(

586524550[/snapback]

hmm i guess no one is going to disagree with creamy.... lol

586524633[/snapback]

Looks aight :p

586524550[/snapback]

What are you talking about? It's taking shap. What u want to see a the finished product in the first public beta. :blink:

Bah. No sidebar, damn MSFT!! :p

Now, what about performance? Is there an increase on overall performance over Beta 1? I know they are far away from the "optimization" phase of the OS and I know you mentioned more drivers support, which for me is one of the reasons I would poke around with this version, but mostly curious about that, if there's any changes whatsoever in terms of speed between builds :)

586524550[/snapback]

creamhackered, I am an Amerian. Could you (or someone else here) explain to me what "looks pants" means?

hmm i guess no one is going to disagree with creamy.... lol

586524633[/snapback]

why ? I and a few others would.. its not like he's the omega / leetest person in the world.. I have my own opinions and i'm sure other people do to.

*bows before the oh mighty cream*

:blink:

586524550[/snapback]

I have waited all my life for this moment...... IT'S A BETA! :D

But on a serious note i think it's looking great. (but no not a massive change).

will we be able to get this build off msdn or not? is it only for people that went to PDC?

if not i might have to get it by other means :) (if i can that is i havent tried..yet)

I have waited all my life for this moment...... IT'S A BETA!  :D

But on a serious note i think it's looking great. (but no not a massive change).

586525045[/snapback]

Beta 2 ( Or Pre Beta 2 ), You won't see as many changes now if it were beta 1.