[Photographs] Critisism Please.

Question

I don't understand why your upset. I think you can take photos but your ideas are poor and 2nd grade thinking. I'm a graphic designer and I get made reply with my work. It's just part of the game. You got to understand that not everybody is going to like your work and not everybody is going to tell you the truth about your work. Go to www.howdesign.com and post your photos in the forum and they will tell you the truth about your photos. I get **** off when people give me bad thoughts on my work but I can use that to make my work better.

586547559[/snapback]

Dude! Hypocrisy never a strong point for you? I'm really happy with my results, as many of the people viewing the photographs are. It seems only you're upset by my explanations. I can guarantee that critics can pick every single thing wrong with my photos, but it doesn't compare to the truth that I'm getting replies stating how they love my idea.

These were not intended as any form of professional photograph, nor were they as serious as you're implying. Humour is the key to my photography, and I'm deeply saddend that you can't see that. However, I forgive you. I promise. :D

edit: I just clicked. You're a graphic designer. One, whom I imagine can only think in straight lines, perfect typography and pastel colours. I promise you, it's the good graphic designers that leak their art/creative side and make something which would have critics hate them, just as much as having the public eye love them. Take a dump man, because something has waddled up your anus and planted itself firmly. There's no need to be all wound up about a difference of opinion than your own.

Edited by .Atlantis

"hug me" = brilliant

how much you get paid for one of the lancashire post photographs?

586547572[/snapback]

?50 for the set. Kinda awesome really, as it was my first step into Journalism,and> I got paid a nice round sum of money for doing what I enjoy doing. :DD

Dude! Hypocrisy never a strong point for you? I'm really happy with my results, as many of the people viewing the photographs are. It seems only you're upset by my explanations. I can guarantee that critics can pick every single thing wrong with my photos, but it doesn't compare to the truth that I'm getting replies stating how they love my idea.

These were not intended as any form of professional photograph, nor were they as serious as you're implying. Humour is the key to my photography, and I'm deeply saddend that you can't see that. However, I forgive you. I promise.  :D

edit: I just clicked. You're a graphic designer. One, whom I imagine can only think in straight lines, perfect typography and pastel colours. I promise you, it's the good graphic designers that leak their art/creative side and make something which would have critics hate them, just as much as having the public eye love them. Take a dump man, because something has waddled up your anus and planted itself firmly. There's no need to be all wound up about a difference of opinion than your own.

586547715[/snapback]

I gave you my thoughts on the photos. I think your shadowing and the depth of field is really good but the idea is weak. I think the third is best out of the three. But I don't know why your getting **** off about my comments. You wanna to be tell you the truth about your work. I'm sorry if I'm not saying "love it dude" or "They look good to me". If your going to act like this when someone is giving your a bad comment on your work then I think you sure go in to something else. Because you can't take the stomach for it. I'm not going to be your mom or dad and say that it's the best in the word, like most people do here. I get a lot of people that don't like my work but I try to understand why that is and then fix it if it has to be done. It makes a better designer and if you can't do that in photographer then I know your will not go anywhere with your work.

I remember when I posted a poster on here that most people like and just a few that did not like. I ask why and I took that information and make my poster better.

I gave you my thoughts on the photos. I think your shadowing and the depth of field is really good but the idea is weak. I think the third is best out of the three. But I don't know why your getting **** off about my comments. You wanna to be tell you the truth about your work. I'm sorry if I'm not saying "love it dude" or "They look good to me". If your going to act like this when someone is giving your a bad comment on your work then I think you sure go in to something else. Because you can't take the stomach for it. I'm not going to be your mom or dad and say that it's the best in the word, like most people do here. I get a lot of people that don't like my work but I try to understand why that is and then fix it if it has to be done. It makes a better designer and if you can't do that in photographer then I know your will not go anywhere with your work.

I remember when I posted a poster on here that most people like and just a few that did not like. I ask why and I took that information and make my poster better.

586547784[/snapback]

You're not quite understanding where I'm coming from, and to be honest it's now starting to get tiresome. Your critisism was far from... Critisism. It lacked any comments on how to improve my work. You merely slated it as weak. Now, the parts where you did offer detail, I offered detail back, and an explanation of your 'apparant' questions. Another, more worrying thought - is that you believe I'm getting starred off about your comments. I really, really am not. More-so am I annoyed at your general attitude towards all of this, than I am about your empty comments about my weak work.

Please understand I'm all for critisism, but not for blatant shove-off comments because you feel you could do better. I appreciate you putting all this effort into proving me wrong, and all. But it's not helping matters. I don't wish to discuss this any further, and I thank you for your time.

I see that you post it on howdesign.com. I'm glad you took my advise. I'm only trying to help. I could not give you any criticism on the HUG ME images because I did not get the idea behind it. The only thing I can give is weak which means the meaning is not understandable.

I LOVE EM!

GREAT WORK!

I made the first one my desktop background.

there just so much emotion in the first one.

I also love the other 2, but the first is my favorite

nice work!,

~hot

I see that you post it on howdesign.com. I'm glad you took my advise. I'm only trying to help. I could not give you any criticism on the HUG ME images because I did not get the idea behind it. The only thing I can give is weak which means the meaning is not understandable.

586547798[/snapback]

I took your advice on that, as I believed for it to be the only sound piece of advice you gave.

Again, critisism is welcomed, but in a manner which I can understand

Thanks for the comments people!

Okay, Dare I say it stood the test of HowDesign you so hastily told me to submit it to? Because of their renowned harsh critique?

Couldve been a great Pink Floyd album cover. Good design aesthetic to it!

Okay, Dare I say it stood the test of HowDesign you so hastily told me to submit it to? Because of their renowned harsh critique?

586548417[/snapback]

Different people, different tastes kid. You're asking for criticism. I like your second photo, personally I think it's a fine idea but maybe should've tried to darken the surrounding to actually make it look lonely and alone. Not surrounded by walls and light.

As for the first, I agree with ActionPack it's too staged it doesn't really work for me. But about model photography is you only really have one chance to get it right, or else your going to have to pay the model more for a second shoot. I understand that it's yourself but it's an important thing to remember.

And the third you know my opinions on already.

Your work is good for an amateur photographer as most of us here, including myself are. However it's not going to really cut it, in the world of proffesional photography. I agee with actionpack also on buying some books of famous photographers, it can really bring out creativeness.

All in all 4-5/10.

Kind Regards,

Ian.

Different people, different tastes kid. You're asking for criticism. I like your second photo, personally I think it's a fine idea but maybe should've tried to darken the surrounding to actually make it look lonely and alone. Not surrounded by walls and light.

586548446[/snapback]

Okay, scrap what I just wrote. I have something more to say. I did a bit more extensive research into the wonderful mind of M16Labs. As his critique should be respected so much - due to his vast photographically experienced nature, and love for the subject.

I took a look at your photographs, mate. With what, I immediately percieved as shock. I mean, the amount of verbal diorea you came out with about the quality of my images, yet yours are half of, if not a quater of what I imagined this pure 'untouchable' artist to be. I'm so surprised that the quality of your images are just mediocre.

Before, I felt bad about actually arguing against your critisism but now, I feel they lacked any sufficial evidence, or positive persona that could justify a worth image. I've come to this conclusion based upon your own work...

I'll end with an apology, as I know it's going to offend you, but I truely do believe I have to say what I've said.

Edited by .Atlantis

all are great for different reasons..

the third one is my favourite!

post some more ! :)

586549565[/snapback]

Wish I could mate! Only had this camera for a week, They're the only decent shots so far :)

How are you with a film SLR? as im just starting A-Level photography. I was wondering if you had any tips?

586549586[/snapback]

Film SLR? I'm doing Digital Photography mate. Sorry. I have a Canon EOS 20D, I chose this particular college over another majorly due to the fact they did digital and not film.

I wish I could help you :( really sorry.

Mixed feelings here, as a photographer and as a designer, here we go:

About technique, I really like them, it surprises me that in the first photo (the black and white one) you manage a superb handle in the focus. (Please, tell me is manual).

The saturation in the other two is nice. Can I ask you what EV levels did you use? In the "hug me" one I think its around -2.0.

The colors are great again, you have a nice eye in color combination, again "hug me" is my favorite in this part.

About the concept: I will be honest. Your concepts are not really for me, but I do understand your intention and I think your portrayed it in a very effective way.

About originality: Take my advise! Never pay attetion to whiever says your works are not original because originality, in its pure form, doesnt exist anymore.

A "Your work is not original" critic is the most useless in the creative department. A lot of ideas have been done in a way or another. The important thig is that your ideas came from your head and that represents you or your views.

Nice strating photos. Keep the good work.

Edit: Your photos wants me to show my work again on neowin. I stoped because I followed zedaxax's advise.

I enjoyed viewing your work sanctified, and to be honest, I was waiting for you to add your piece to my photography, as I know you can give a clear, balanced and decicive opinion.

I never shoot in any mode other than manual, and my lens was having trouble focusing at such close distance (it's a 50mm f/1.8 Prime) so I had to do manual focus anywho.

Exposure levels I'm not sure, I always shoot in RAW, so I adjust that later in Photoshop.

Thanks for the comments :)

edit: And I for one would love to see you start posting your photography back on Neowin.

Film SLR? I'm doing Digital Photography mate. Sorry. I have a Canon EOS 20D, I chose this particular college over another majorly due to the fact they did digital and not film.

I wish I could help you  :( really sorry.

586549590[/snapback]

ok thanks alot. My college does both :)

Exposure levels I'm not sure, I always shoot in RAW, so I adjust that later in Photoshop.

586549702[/snapback]

Try to understand your camera better. Photoshop is always a nice tool, but doing levels, white point saturation, focus and other adjustments in camera always makes things more natural (and believe me, they look better) and , by time, easier.

What kind of tripod are you using?

Try to understand your camera better. Photoshop is always a nice tool, but doing levels, white point saturation, focus and other adjustments in camera always makes things more natural (and believe me, they look better) and , by time, easier.

What kind of tripod are you using?

586549730[/snapback]

Oh I have a completely opposite opinion. Allowing my camera to do the post processing of my vital information is near suicide. I like to tinker with MINIMAL amount of data loss. I admit, I'm a data freak. I can't too much information to be lost during processing. Majority of the reason being, I like doing big prints. - And the camera post processing is far from perfect.

I don't use a tripod, I blew ?1,500 on a Canon EOS 20D, a Speedlite 580EX, 50mm f/1.8 Prime lens and accessories (CF Card, Bag etc). So no budget for one!