[Review] Thermalright XP-120

THE STUFF ORDERED:

Panaflo 120x38mm Ultra High Speed Fan (FBA12G12U) $20.49

Thermalright XP-120 - Athlon64 & Pentium 4 $57.99

Artic Silver 5 $8.5

Well, all things have an end, and I thought that it was time for my good ol' heatsink to take a break. It wasn?t really cooling my X2 4400 very well.

heatsinkold6jz.th.jpg

Good bye old timer! Ill sure miss ya'!

Alright, about the xp-120....

I must compliment frozencpu.com for two things, 1 better price than the egg, and also great shipping, just on time!

This is the signature thermalright package, a brown box with nothing but the thermalright logo on top

box9qu.th.jpg

First thing you see is a nice little sticker and the instruction guide, directly beneath it the HSF itself, all wrapped in a nice thick coat of foam.

packing10cx.th.jpg

Under the HSF, you find the K8 adapter and the retention brackets for 120mm fan

packing28dz.th.jpg

Here is a list of all the stuff included:

1 XP-120

2 mounting clip

2 Rubber vibration dampeners

2 120mm fan wire clips

1 Thermal paste syringe

1 K8 adapting RM

2 M3 0.5+15mm screws

1 instruction booklet

1 sticker

includedstuff4xq.th.jpg

It is very well packed, I doubt that anything will happen to it if I drop it out the window, but I will leave that experiment for another da;);)

For those of you who thought that the XP-120 was big... you are wrong, IT IS HUGE!!!!

I have never seen such a thing to cool a CPU.

hsftopcompare9cu.th.jpg

There it is compared to the old HSF

It is also pretty high profile

hsfsidecompare1oj.th.jpg

Note that it still has no fan, and it is the height of the stock cooler!

hsfangle6ab.th.jpg

Here is another pic, I have average sized hands, and compare the size, and it is just HUGE in all ways! That is the most shocking thing IMO

Edited by mikeboy

Alright, what is a heatsink without a fan? So I went ahead and ordered one of them Panaflo ones, but I got the biggest one I could find, and I have to say, it was a little bigger than expected :pinch:

fantop3ao.th.jpg

Looks like a regular 120mm fan with an oversized rotor, but when you look at it from another angle...

fanside2sn.th.jpg

You realize that it isn?t as regular as it looks.

What happens when you put together a high HSF and a huge a** fan?

You get something a little like this...

fanhsfmounted2nv.th.jpg

10 cm high tower of pure cooling power!!

I kinda forgot to deselect the fan filter, so I got one... $2 waste:pinch:h: stupid m:no:o:

filter2ol.th.jpg

Add that to the tower and get 11cm of cooling

allmounted1at.th.jpg

Pretty tall huh?

INSTALATION

Well, the instructions from the manual where like those "insert A1 into socket 4C, and one big drawing with plenty to get confused with, I also checked out at their webpage, to see if they had an instruction guide, and they do, a really good one, with lots of pictures for everyone who couldn?t read the instructions.

Installation was pretty simple, change the RM, apply thermal paste, and hook it in, sounds simple enough...

ram4gx.th.jpg[/url:pinch:h:

All I can say is that I had to remove my OCZ Gold VX RAM because the heat spreader was too high! And after hooking the hsf in, I had to squeeze my RAM back in there, under the HSF, that was the only thing I disliked.

But the rest was fairly simple. I forgot to take pics of the installation, so here it is installed

mountedfinal10nc.th.jpg

mountedfinal37vx.th.jpg

mountedfinal24dh.th.jpg

I did not find mayor compatibility problem with my mobo, DFI SLi-D, only one little HSF touches one of the heat pipes, but it does not obstruct installation

contact4fg.th.jpg

Overall, the installation was easy and quick, about 10 minutes, took me a while to decide to take out the RAM....

RESULTS

Compared to my old stock HSF brought with my X2 4400 (not the one in the first pic obviously :p ), there is a small decrease of temps on idle, from 1-2? before I idled at 32-34?, with my XP-120, I have Mozilla notepad msn main screen, 1 conversation (with a guy that is A8N SLi Obsessed!) and file explorer, also add Photoshop, and am getting this temps

tempidle9vq.th.jpg

Compared to my old idle temps

post470651126995263thumb3nh.th.jpg

Since it is such a big fan, all the rest has cooled, and my airflow has at least doubled, the good thing about the 120mm is that you get much more CFM for the same noise, that extra CFM cools the RAM and most of the components, my chipset temp is down to 45?, I feel comfortable with that temp, and my PWN IC dropped almost 5-6? !!

All that is left now, is LOAD, some serious stress testing and prime 95 just to check the temps.

Prime95:

The processor remained cooler than I expected it to, with the stock, the processor would jump to 42-45? on torture tests on Prime95, now it stays between 36-38?

primeload6et.jpg

Then I closed Prime and immediately I saw the temps drop!

rightafterprime9be.th.jpg

CONCLUSION:

This is great HSF, it is easy to install, it has the great advantage of using a 120mm fan, and it looks like a space ship, so it is a great gift for kids of all;)ges ;)

I highly recommend this HSF

PROS:

-120mm fan (make just as much noise as my stock fan)

-great results

-cools the other components

-it is light weight compared to HSF's it's size

CONS:

-the size makes it a bit difficult to install

All that is left to say now is....

THIS COMPONENT IS

sellocopy3vm.jpg

Hope this review h:Dped :D

Also frozencpu is getting a good review fr:p me :p

nice review!! only thing is that u called it Thermaltake instead of Thermalright a copule of times :D good work, and congrats on a new heatsink WITH POWER muahaha

nice review!! only thing is that u called it Thermaltake instead of Thermalright a copule of times :D good work, and congrats on a new heatsink WITH POWER muahaha

586543887[/snapback]

arrgh! thermaltake is my case, sorry about that correcting... :pinch:

edit: there we go all ready now, sorry about that thermalright, and thanks for pointing it out godfather :D

I guess themps will drop even more once the AS5 sets in

thats ok lol! im still considering this Heatsink or a Scythe Ninja http://www.scythe.co.jp/en/cooler/SCNJ1000.htm maybe ill go with the ninja cause of me going space causious that its tall, not wide. but the XP-120 still owns, id get one if the other is out of stock :D :D

psst :rofl: i can still see thermal take in this line "This is the signature thermalright package, a brown box with nothing but the thermaltake logo on top"

alright, there we go, no more thermaltakes on my thermalright review :p

I would get that one, passive coolig will never be as good as active cooling, maybe it is quiet, but I go for performance over looks (sound in this case), if anything I would consider xp-120 or xp90c, but if I had to choose again, I would do the same thing, xp-120 is great

yep very nice XP-120 gives superb performance in all areas. but i have found the ninja very cheap here in Aus compared to the XP-120, and i want to have some money left to get the Gigabyte Aurora 3d to accompany. i only want hte ninja now so when i upgrade (hopefully *fingers crossed* to a setup like ur's) i can still use the HS :p heh and either way ive got my antec 120mm to spare if i get the case also, so i can put it on either HS too :cool:

Well, I finished a second test, battlefield 2 at full settings while surfing the web, and got temps similar to prime95, a bit higher

CPU: 38?

Chipset: 52?

PWM IC: 43?

pretty good huh?

this hsf rules, post you feedback on it

actually the scythe n-1000 (i think thats what its called) is apparently the king of heatsinks...

and the SI-120 is also better than the XP-120 :p

however xp-120 is still one huge honkin piece of cooling machine

actually the scythe n-1000 (i think thats what its called) is apparently the king of heatsinks...

and the SI-120 is also better than the XP-120 :p

however xp-120 is still one huge honkin piece of cooling machine

586546570[/snapback]

about that, the SI series depend only on the heatpipes, the xp 120 has those heatpipes, but it aldo has fins that run from, the bottom to the big fins, thus providing more contact area, I also considered the SI 120 and SI 90 before my purchase, but I decided to get the xp 120 because of the added fins.

if you guys are worrying about the size the of XP-120 then i would sugest getting the XP-90C which cools slightly better than xp-120 and uses a 92mm fan

586547247[/snapback]

the scythe and XP-90C are the best heatsinks out there IMO. The xp-90c packs the punch of thermalright's 120series, while having an easy installation, the 120mm coolers are a major pain in the ass to put in, and ive heard way too many stories about people having the 120's bump into their ram (in fact my cousin had to suffer 15% restocking at newegg because his corsair ram was too tall, my fault for recommending the tall stuff though). The scythe is supposedly sorta easy to put in, but the absolutely awesome cooling makes up for it, especially if you equip to nice papst or panaflo 120mms on them... *drool*

there is a review, that helped me decide which one to buy, I was between the xp90c and the xp120, and the review showed that both of them had very similar results, because what it lacks in size, it makes up with copper, so the 90c ain't a bad HSF, but it didnt make the same result as the xp-120, it trolled behind it 1? on idle and around 2? on load, so the diff aint much, bet the xp 120 is better in a case with nice airflow

and yes, it blocks the first pci slot of my mobo, but it does warn you of it in the webpage

• 3 months later...

I have to add, all the rumors about the Artic Silver 5 working better once it sit for some time, time does make it work better, my temps have been increasingly lowering, I get now idle of 29? C. A 2 degree jump from when I first installed it.

untitled15ht.th.jpg

I bought the ThermalTAKE Big Typhoon from Newegg a while back, and in some of its reviews its performed on par and bested the XP-120! It is pretty massive too, makes heavy use of Heatpipes and has a 120mm fan on it as well. Plus its only 16db