• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Ipod 20 Gig!

Timan    558

From Think Secret

Apple to unveil 20GB iPod; updated iTunes

By Nick dePlume, Publisher and Editor in Chief

July 12, 2002 - At his Macworld Expo/New York keynote next Wednesday, Apple CEO Steve Jobs will announce a higher-capacity iPod music player and an update to its iTunes jukebox/burner app.

While next week's keynote address won't feature speed-bumped Power Mac G4s, as reported earlier this week, sources confirmed that an iPod with a 20GB hard drive, priced at $499, will be added to the product line. The original 5GB iPod will be discontinued, while Apple will cut the price of the 10GB model to $399.

The new iPod will ship with an updated version of Apple's music jukebox, iTunes 3, which is expected to be available for free download at Apple's Web site.

Aside from the increased hard drive space, the new iPod will reportedly play audio files encoded in the MPEG-4 Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) format. AAC audio, supported by QuickTime 6 as well as the forthcoming iTunes 3, provides increased sound quality in a more efficient compression package.

We are not exactly sure about all of the new iPod's specifications, but there are a variety of possible changes. Some of the updates we're hearing include a streamlined profile, remote, re-designed scroll wheel, and/or Bluetooth support. However, sources stressed the uncertainty of these details.

Also uncertain are rumors of the release of an iTunes version for Windows. Apple's spokespeople have been coy when discussing bringing the iPod to Windows, but have left the possibility open. "We know the experience won't be as good," Jobs has said publicly, but the company's development of Windows support has been far from secret. It is not known if Apple will charge for a Windows version of iTunes or not, if a version is released next week at all.

At least one third-party is expected to announce support for the new iPod and iTunes. Audible.com, which sells digital audio books on its Web site, will reportedly make an announcement regarding

Dazzla    5

Now the question is, do I now buy a discontinued 5gb iPod and hope a firmware update is all that's needed, or get the lower priced 10gb model :ponder:

phantomAI    0

Sweet, I hope the prices go down lower. Hey I'm willing to get the 5 GB one (I don't have that much MP3s at the moment), I just need to use software to get it on Win. XP.

Silvorgold    1

they might discontinue the 5 gig ipod..there'dd be no reason to discontinue it tho, since they could knock it down a few hundred bux (if they can afford to) and then it'll sell like hot cakes cuz i seriously dont have even 2 gigs of mp3s so it'dd be perrrrrrrrrrrrrfect for me :D

pizza    0
Originally posted by Silvorgold

they might discontinue the 5 gig ipod..there'dd be no reason to discontinue it tho, since they could knock it down a few hundred bux (if they can afford to) and then it'll sell like hot cakes cuz i seriously dont have even 2 gigs of mp3s so it'dd be perrrrrrrrrrrrrfect for me :D

It's only a five gig drive. While this may seem large for MP3's, it is small as hard drives go. Maybe there's a shortage on five gig drives??

SYBOLD    0

you can buy a 5 gig and replace the hd with a 20 gig ;)

Wickedkitten    12

bwahahahah I already said the macworld predictions thread they might upgrade the ipod, true it was only to 20gb but around this time next year prepare for 50!

I wonder if they are going to change the interface for itunes

sailgreg    0

Dang 20gb is alot of MP3's :)

The harddrive in my laptop is only 20gb :)

Silvorgold    1

i'dd love to get a 20 gig ipod, better than carrying 30 backup cds of info (like on my hexpee machine ;)), but 20 gig ipods 2 much for me, im thinking ill get something like an emac or maybe a g4 imac as my "working this summer money thingy"/grad gift, and for xmas a 10 gig ipod

i saw a g4 imac a few months ago at a computer store in the us, but it wasnt turned on, the keyboard/mouse wasnt plugged in the puter, and there was only an ipod hooked up, it was sweet tho

gravel5839    2

i have and ipod and it works great on my pc... use EphPod

BroChaos    1

geeze that is huge. even if it was full quality .wav files, that's still a lot of music.