[NASA] Moon plans unveiled!

NASA's lunar exploration plan entails the development of reusable 18-foot (5.5-meter) diameter capsule capable of seating six astronauts in all, or a four-person Moon expedition.

Capped with an escape tower, the capsule would launch atop an in-line booster and rendezvous with an Earth Departure Stage and lunar lander in Earth orbit, which themselves would launch atop a separate, heavy-lift rocket. Both launchers will be derived from external tank, shuttle engine and solid rocket booster technology developed for the orbiter program, with power for the CEV to be provided via solar arrays.

"What we're really developing is the shuttle's successor," Griffin said. "The CEV is designed to go to low-Earth orbit."

read more........

Im from USA

My question always was if we got there in 1969 how come we have not been back but only cause another country is about to get there...

Did we even get there the 1st time...??

Im from USA

My question always was if we got there in 1969 how come we have not been back but only cause another country is about to get there...

586549721[/snapback]

Yes we did go there.... Reason why we are goin back is:

One of NASA?s reasons for going back to the Moon is to demonstrate that astronauts can essentially ?live off the land? by using lunar resources to produce potable water, fuel and other valuable commodities. Such capabilities are considered extremely important to human expeditions to Mars which, because of the distances involved, would be much longer missions entailing a minimum of 500 days spent on the planet?s surface.

So it's training for Mars

Edited by ripgut

Once they got a bass on the Moon it's just a matter of time before first man on Mars..which be amazing :D

586550110[/snapback]

I hope I'm still around in time to witness that. It would be amazing to see.

I hope I'm still around in time to witness that. It would be amazing to see.

586550113[/snapback]

Yeah it would be. But other countries like China are just behind the USA in doing something like this. So it's a space race again like it was back in the old days " USA vs Soviets "

586549721[/snapback]

No, as we all know by now, the Apollo program consisted of billion dollars of empty rockets fired into the Sun, and the alleged moon rocks have dozens of universities lying about them in research, and is in reality from the Houston HQ's backyard. :p Even Russia is on this, and that's why they're admitting USA won their space race instead of coming up with claims it was fake.

No, as we all know by now, the Apollo program consisted of billion dollars of empty rockets fired into the Sun, and the alleged moon rocks have dozens of universities lying about them in research, and is in reality from the Houston HQ's backyard.  :p Even Russia is on this, and that's why they're admitting USA won their space race instead of coming up with claims it was fake.

586550138[/snapback]

Please, give it up.

Researchers have identified locations of possible water ice near the lunar poles. The ice could provide drinking water and fuel for return trips

Haha, can you imagine drinking Moon-Water?

I realise that scientifically H2O is H2O, but... I wouldn't like to be the guinea pig!

Richardo don't be silly you know astronauts drink their own pee, they have machines to purify water you know...

586550226[/snapback]

lol, reminds me of a news-clip on the radio. The DJ was reading a scientific update about NASA's filtration system that allowed astronauts Urine to be recycled for drinking water. He then said "well, that's great, but Mexico has had this technology for YEARS, it's called Corona...."

This is very interesting news. If we didn't go to the moon the frist time I hope we actually pull it off this time for real.

Also, I hope that we shoot ourselves out towards Mars during my lifetime. But I doubt it seeing as they "plan" to go up there in 2018. I'll be 33 when that happens. GO NASA GO!

Every time you go get a drink of water from any source, chances are that sometime in the 4 billion year history of earth, some animal or creature absorbed that water and ****ed it out. So nothing to worry about, really.

Im from USA

586549721[/snapback]

well after 69 the vietnam war was starting to get sticky and we were pulling out, so there was that going on. That lasted until about 74. Then only a few years after the cold war started up taking much of the money from NASA, then by the time the cold war ended stuff was too old to use practicly, and there had been major leaps in technology, so the shuttle was developed and made and we were more interested in doing experiements and sending rovers and satellites to other planets then landing on the moon

As for the china thing: what, is chica gonna stack it's people all up on top of each other and get there before us?