Opera 8.50 - Free!

Not everybody read the frontpage. Okay, I didn't do a search, but I did look in this forum for a thread with a title that had to do with this. Also I had a look in the Opera forum and none there either as far as I could see the closest to it was "Big Opera update coming 9/20"

What's the big deal anyways, did it hurt your eyes to see this thread?

586552478[/snapback]

Thread #1

Thread #2

You're not hurting my eyes with this unnecessary thread but you're just taking more space in Neowin DB...

Just because it's free isn't enough of a reason for me to switch from Firefox. With the help of about 5 extensions and a few userchrome tweaks, Firefox is the perfect browser (for me).

This is cool news though.

I LOVE the default basic UI of Opera. Thats how it should have been. Took me >10 min to get it the way I liked it before. Sort of like FireFox by default. I use both quite hapily but FireFox more though.

Thread #1 Eeehrmm... missed that one.

Thread #2 Give me an error message (Sorry, the link that brought you to this page seems to be out of date or broken.) so I assume that it was deleted. And I believe that this one will to if the mods think it is necessary.

You're not hurting my eyes with this unnecessary thread but you're just taking more space in Neowin DB...

586552556[/snapback]

I'm sure this thread will make Neowin croak and rollover from lack of server space. :rolleyes:

Still the worst browser in my opinion. I hate having to design for yet another layout engine, especially one as weird as Opera's. And they didn't even support AJAX until 8.01, right?

Non-standard UI (N) Horrible layout engine (N) No extensions (N)

I'm definitely sticking with Firefox.

Not really. The 8.x interface is greatly simplified. At least on Windows.

586552363[/snapback]

I liked the the interface last spotted in the 7.23 release a lot more. The whole layout seems weird to me.

The fact is they didn't have to do it. The fact that they are doing it shows considerate-ness(?) on their part.

586552434[/snapback]

That's why I wrote down the "it's the right thing to do"-part...

Still the worst browser in my opinion. I hate having to design for yet another layout engine, especially one as weird as Opera's. And they didn't even support AJAX until 8.01, right?

586553026[/snapback]

someone give that man a beer and some nachos ;)

586553026[/snapback]

Non-standard UI: Opera comes with a "Native" skin if you use Windows. It's actually what I use.

"Horrible" layout engine: Their layout engine is actually one of the most, if not the most, standards compliant engines out there.

No extensions: Fair enough :p Though to be fair, a lot of the things you can do with extensions are either already in Opera or still possible somehow.

AJAX: I don't think they supported XMLHttpRequest until 7.60 betas, yeah. It isn't a standard, what do you expect? ;)