Jet Blue FLight 292 in Distress

They reckon the pilot can tap the wheel on the tarmac and pop it round so it's straight. It's been before apparently. Likely case, the nose wheel will snap off, and the nose will scrape along the runway.

Well that's nice of you to make light of it. I'm sure they would really appreciate that heh.

586560710[/snapback]

I bet they'd like to know that there are people out there with a positive attitude, who are confident that they'll be fine.

Give it a rest.

They reckon the pilot can tap the wheel on the tarmac and pop it round so it's straight.  It's been before apparently.  Likely case, the nose wheel will snap off, and the nose will scrape along the runway.

586560721[/snapback]

Well, they just said that the wheel is actually intentionally designed to sheer off. So I guess they'll try to land on the 2 main (back) wheels and the front stub?

They just mentioned how the back gear is locked down but they don't know if the front is locked down or just hanging down. If it isn't locked, it will just collapse and they'll be landing on the nose of the fuselage, basically.

5004527_400X300.jpg

Looks bad.. :no:

586560667[/snapback]

ouch.. i thought it was like an L.

but the wheel is the oposite way.. once that front wheel touches, that plane is gonna spin out of control.

but the wheel is the oposite way.. once that front wheel touches, that plane is gonna spin out of control.

586560740[/snapback]

Um, no. That wheel is going to be under so much force that it will either sheer off or simply collapse. Whatever happens, that wheel will not simply steer the plane around in circles once it lands. That plane will have so much force when it hits the ground, it will go one direction (forward) and that direction only. The question is will the plane roll or explode or whatever. But just think simply about the speeds and the forces involved. That wheel can not simply steer the plane away.

586560740[/snapback]

i doubt it will spit at all. they've said it will either straighten the wheel, or the wheel will break off. i'm sure the plane is too heavy to spin from the front wheel.

CNN expert said he "guaranteed" that it would be a "safe landing." He mentioned that it is not a "crash landing" but it is an "emergency landing." He also mentioned that the front gear was probably locked (as opposed to just hanging down and not being locked in place). They also just showed a very clear close-up shot of the plane flying with the sideways wheel.

EDIT: Same expert just said that, in his opinion, "everybody would survive." It all sounds pretty good (considering the circumstances).

Larry King is really concerned about if the people on the plane are being allowed to watch CNN coverage right now.  :rolleyes:

586560808[/snapback]

yeah no doubt

Larry King is really concerned about if the people on the plane are being allowed to watch CNN coverage right now.  :rolleyes:

586560808[/snapback]

There's no CNN on JetBlue, but there's Fox News and MSNBC :pinch:

I just hope all of them make it safely.