• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

WinMX & eDonkey: offline, doors closed

Copernic    474

But gone for good?

By Andrew Orlowski in San Francisco

Published Thursday 22nd September 2005 05:42 GMT

The "darknets" were looking a even darker today. WinMX spent the day offline and eDonkey has closed its New York office, Reuters reports. Both P2P file sharing networks WinMX and eDonkey are bearing the brunt of increased pressure on companies who encourage copyright infringement.

While the US Supreme Court's June Grokster ruling was widely misinterpreted in the popular inkies as signaling the death of P2P technology - it actually bounced the major issues back down to the lower courts - the Court nevertheless frowned on companies who encourage infringement.

"We hold that one who distributes a device with the object of promoting its use to infringe copyright, as shown by the clear expression or other affirmative steps taken to foster infringement, is liable for the resulting acts of infringement by third parties," wrote Justice Souter.

Last week the RIAA sent seven letters to the networks, reportedly including BearShare, LimeWire and WinMX. WinMX was offline most of Wednesday, and Reuters also reports that eDonkey's New York office is closed.

Earlier in the week Mashboxx was said to be in talks to acquire Grokster and turn into a non-infringing, legal network. Mashboxx's Wayne Rosso was briefly President at Grokster.

It's clearly too early to say if eDonkey is a dead donkey. But with Mashboxx and "MSPs" gearing up to offer walled garden file sharing, and Ian "Freenet" Clarke promising new, untraceable P2P by the end of the year, the stage is set for the next act.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/22/p2p_networks_darken/

Rudy    457

i was reading about it before seing this thread, very sad :no:

Orange    123

Only a matter of time...

use torrents :whistle:

Vice    1,593

In the end all that will be left are Torrents and IRC. I am seeing sites that host Files for free like rapid share becoming more popular though.

virtualmadden    2

Don't forget that DC++ has remained relatively untouched. Besides some busts not specificaly targeted at Direct Connect, it's stayed out of the news. I feel much safer on DC++ than on torrents, although my downloading has almosted dropped of as I've grown up.

Kelsenellenelvian    0

Emule and limwire are still up for now.

Nexus    0
Only a matter of time...

use torrents :whistle:

586562126[/snapback]

Yes it a matter of time before they shut them down. But before you know it something else will take their places, thats also a matter of time. P2P is to popular regardless of the RIAA's pressure and scare tactics. Look how many have appeared since Napsters demise years ago. The RIAA's tactics and perspective are futile and a waste of time and money.

msntrev    0

not good news, but i dont use WinMX or eDonkey, but i do use the edonkey network.

I knew WinMX, limewire and a few others were being "watched" by authorities.

rapidshare and megaupload etc are getting more popular for a few reasons:

HTTP is often faster

Cant be tracked if you use an anonymous proxy to download

I went off torrents for a while, but now i am using them more and more

Lan88    0

but some files arent available on torrents and can only be found on p2p networks...

Colin-uk    135

Wow, those networks have been going quite a while...

Vice    1,593
but some files arent available on torrents and can only be found on p2p networks...

586562183[/snapback]

That is true, older content is harder to find on Torrents. Due to the nature of the protocol. But I am confident that new P2P's will arise as WinMX / eDonkey / Limewire fall.

The developers need to think Exeem ( I know we all hate this program ) The principle of Exeem is good but there implementation meant that everyone hated it.

What we need is a network where everyone on it shares there upload/download for other peoples files bites for what you want come from someone who does not even have the core files everyone is a node for everyone else, Make it decentralised so it cannot be switched off. And of course Open Source.

Malisk    142

What more can eDonkey do than have this notice?

http://www.edonkey2000.com/copyright.html

How are you supposed to run a P2P network with these regulations? It's like enforcing an ISP to control so no copyrighted material pass their mail or web servers. :p

eDonkey never promoted piracy from what I could see... It's not like they maintain updated lists of "top 100 pirated material" for accessibility or something.

edit: Found more info about this:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-pira...ack=1&cset=true

So eDonkey doesn't seem to be going away, just change either in software or in location where it's distributed (i.e. outside USA):

EDonkey CEO Sam Yagan said his company was "exploring" ways to make money and avoid the wrath of the entertainment industry. He said he did not know whether the next version of EDonkey software would use filters, a payment scheme or other means for cracking down on piracy, but that some fix "is certainly imminent."

bennett    0
But with Mashboxx and "MSPs" gearing up to offer walled garden file sharing, and Ian "Freenet" Clarke promising new, untraceable P2P by the end of the year, the stage is set for the next act.

Muahahahaha just shows you that P2P will never die LOL

Malisk    142

Anonymous P2P generally suffers from horrible speeds though (Freenet users know what I'm talking about), and it's quite hard to avoid that technically.

bangbang023    31

I still don't get what they plan to achieve. One goes down, another pops up in some other country. Limewire? It's part of a damn open source protocol. How do you expect to shut that down? Edonkey? Emule is not only a better app, but will be the means by which the network also survives.

I just don't get why they won't embrace modern distirbution methods and make use of it. iTunes is a clear example that it can work, so why not try?

Buzz99    8
I still don't get what they plan to achieve. One goes down, another pops up in some other country. Limewire? It's part of a damn open source protocol. How do you expect to shut that down? Edonkey? Emule is not only a better app, but will be the means by which the network also survives.

I just don't get why they won't embrace modern distirbution methods and make use of it. iTunes is a clear example that it can work, so why not try?

586562616[/snapback]

Yep

Those RIAA dinosaures are missing the bandwagon. They should better work together with P2P networkers and build something than trying to destroy something they can't understand nor control....

Computer Guru    3

It IS very sad. After all, think of it this way. eDonkey started the whole thing.

That is true, older content is harder to find on Torrents. Due to the nature of the protocol. But I am confident that new P2P's will arise as WinMX / eDonkey / Limewire fall.

The developers need to think Exeem ( I know we all hate this program ) The principle of Exeem is good but there implementation meant that everyone hated it.

What we need is a network where everyone on it shares there upload/download for other peoples files bites for what you want come from someone who does not even have the core files everyone is a node for everyone else, Make it decentralised so it cannot be switched off. And of course Open Source.

586562190[/snapback]

What do you think the the Kad netwrok (promoted by eMule mostly) is all about???

And shareaza (yes, that big bulky, bloated, peice of crap) uses million sof networks, it cannot be stopped

golazo    0

wow winmx has been going on for ages, can't believe it's gone

riahc3    440

I loved WinMX....When everyone was using Kazaa (lite), I was with WinMX; It has great and fast speeds back then.....Now its slow most of the time but still good for rare songs.

Azusa    930

pointless their efforts are pointless they are fighting a loseing war its just an arms race realy and as allways the comunists are ahead lol

Trauma    0
pointless their efforts are pointless they are fighting a loseing war its just an arms race realy and as allways the comunists are ahead lol

586562678[/snapback]

I agree. Fighting windmills... :o

Steffan    91

It sucks that winmx went offline. I used it in the past and I have a friend that's currently using it. She won't be happy about it.

cork1958    1,705

What a coincidence. I just fired up WinMx for the first time in ages looking for just one particular tune. After several attempts at connecting, I said screw it and started surfing the web. Of course one of the first sites I hit is here, and here this topic was. :happy:

Vice    1,593
What do you think the the Kad netwrok (promoted by eMule mostly) is all about???

586562643[/snapback]

Dunno since I have never heard of the Kad network.

AgEnTsMiTh    0

586562616[/snapback]

I agree completely with that statement. They need to accept it and come up with a reasonable pay scheme for distributing digital content. iTunes proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it is viable and people WILL pay.

They will never fully bring it down, scare tactics will not solve the issue and bringing down a few P2P networks will neither. One goes down, another will go up bigger, better, and more private. Where there is a will, there is a way.