"adjusting" a clutch?

My car isnt new (1993) and when i bought it the clutch was very worn out, but still drivable, now this hasnt changed much (i mean its not like the clutch is going to get better because i drive better than the previous owner lol). Now i was thinking of changing it but since it cost quite a lot of money i never did it, my friend told me i could get it "adjusted" and it would make it a bit better and make it last a bit longer. is that true??

Adjust it,your friend was right. you might get a few more miles.

if it burns up just replace it, sooner or later you will have to anyway.

586565782[/snapback]

Good point. Personally, I wouldn't bother with adjusting it. I'd just wait until I had to get a new one. If you feel like tinkering with it, you could adjust it but you run the risk of not helping anything at all or possibly making it worse.

Either way, as morebaker said, you'll have to replace it eventually.

OK, first of all, it is never "stupid" to adjust a clutch that is out of adustment. Secondly, it depends on the car and what type of clutch linkage it has. If it has hydraulic linkage, it isn't likely adustable since hydraulic clutches adjust automatically. If it has a cable or linkage, it still could be automatically adjusting. Depends on the car. If it isn't automatic, then a too tight adjustment can prevent full engagement and cause slipping. If the clutch is worn, this will only make it wear faster. How do you know the clutch is worn out Rudy? Does it slip?

Adjust it,your friend was right. you might get a few more miles.

if it burns up just replace it, sooner or later you will have to anyway.

586565782[/snapback]

sounds good,

to everyone else:

i know i will have to replace it at one point but what's the point of replacing it while it still works? thats why i want to extend my clutch's life

OK, first of all, it is never "stupid" to adjust a clutch that is out of adustment. Secondly, it depends on the car and what type of clutch linkage it has. If it has hydraulic linkage, it isn't likely adustable since hydraulic clutches adust automatically. If it has a cable or linkage, it still could be automatically adjusting. Depends on the car. If it isn't automatic, then a too tight adjustment can prevent full engagement and cause slipping. If the clutch is worn, this will only make it wear faster. How do you know the clutch is worn out Rudy? Does it slip?

586565795[/snapback]

im not too knowabledgable about car but i know the car has a hard time going in 3rd and reverse

oh and its a Honda Civic 93, i dont know but i dont "THINK" its hydraulic

If it's hard to get into gear, that means it isn't dissengaging. That could definatelly be an adustment problem. Does the pedal have much free play at the top? (Can you push it quite a ways before it does anything?)

If it's hard to get into gear, that means it isn't dissengaging. That could definatelly be an adustment problem. Does the pedal have much free play at the top? (Can you push it quite a ways before it does anything?)

586565816[/snapback]

yes and its quite "soft" (i tried a civic 2000 same model and the clutch was really hard to press compared to mine :unsure: )

There could be something wrong with the cluch or the cable might be stretching. They usually get harder to push when wearing out though. I think most Civics have cables. Its probably worth trying to adust it tighter. It's usually by the transmission. Just don't adust it so tight that there isn't any free play. You need to have some.

There could be something wrong with the cluch or the cable might be stretching. They usually get harder to push when wearing out though. I think most Civics have cables. Its probably worth trying to adust it tighter. It's usually by the transmission. Just don't adust it so tight that there isn't any free play. You need to have some.

586565877[/snapback]

i'll have a look at it, thank you :yes: :yes:

586565877[/snapback]

ph o dod forget to mention that my clutch also make a noise when i press on it, but i think that's the pedal itself, i need to look at that too

OK, first of all, it is never "stupid" to adjust a clutch that is out of adustment. Secondly, it depends on the car and what type of clutch linkage it has. If it has hydraulic linkage, it isn't likely adustable since hydraulic clutches adjust automatically. If it has a cable or linkage, it still could be automatically adjusting. Depends on the car. If it isn't automatic, then a too tight adjustment can prevent full engagement and cause slipping. If the clutch is worn, this will only make it wear faster. How do you know the clutch is worn out Rudy? Does it slip?

586565795[/snapback]

he was talking like its worn, if you adjust to cater to this worn clutch you wiill have to readjust it to the new clutch, possibly not getting it right causing it to not grab or wear it faster than it should, he should leave it alone and just get a new clutch.

What you say could happen, but you virtually alway have to adjust a new clutch after you install it anyway. That wouldn't be a good reason not to adjust the old one. Also, if his clutch is worn out, he should get a new one, but I don't know if it is worn out unless I look at it. Maybe it is just out of adustment or has a frayed cable. I don't know.

when you start out in low gears, like 0-10 miles an hr in first gear does your car shake at all or shudder , it will be noticable when your torque is higher and your speed is low in lower gears?

What you say could happen, but you virtually alway have to adjust a new clutch after you install it anyway. That wouldn't be a good reason not to adjust the old one. Also, if his clutch is worn out, he should get a new one, but I don't know if it is worn out unless I look at it. Maybe it is just out of adustment or has a frayed cable. I don't know.

586570643[/snapback]

true but a stock replacement should nearly be in adjustment with any adjustments being minor, its just a situation where people take shortcuts to save a buck but its going to cost you eventually...

when you start out in low gears, like 0-10 miles an hr in first gear does your car shake at all or shudder , it will be noticable when your torque is higher and your speed is low in lower gears?

586573362[/snapback]

no but the car makes a noise in first gear that it doesnt in other gears