• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

P&S underwater camera recommendations

Sjokkel    8

I've been in to photography for a while now. I'm using a canon 20D at the moment and i love it.

I just recently moved from Belgium to Curacao to work here. Since i'm a diver and diving here each weekend i'm really missing an underwater camera.

I could buy a housing for my 20D but that would turn out pretty costly and be too big to take with me on each dive. I just want a small camera to take with me just in case we spot something nice.

Can anybody recommend me a nice CF P&S camera & housing for my diving photography?

thx

antsy    9

How about a Nikonos they can be had for cheap off ebay.

Sjokkel    8
How about a Nikonos they can be had for cheap off ebay.

586579037[/snapback]

I would like a digital one, preferably using CF cards since i have plenty of those. Having normal film developped here can be a pain in the ass and can be pretty expensive. For somewhat 500 USD i can buy a canon a95 and a canon underwater housing but i don't know if that would be a good camera to get. Visibility here is good and there is enough light to make shots without a big strobe.

antsy    9

You could get a digital one but they are not cheap or they are of digital compact quility, and probably wont use CF cards. maybe a housing for your existing camera would be a better idea.

Sjokkel    8
You could get a digital one but they are not cheap or they are of digital compact quility, and probably wont use CF cards. maybe a housing for your existing camera would be a better idea.

586581167[/snapback]

I've been thinking about that but it would be just too bulky to carry with me on each dive, and if i'm focussing on the photography all the time i would be letting out on my buddies all the time.

I need a compact P&S digital camera with housing that i can easily attach to my BCD somewhere and use when i see something nice.

The 20D in a compact Ikelite housing would still be too bulky to take with me on each dive. Maybe i just need both... 1 for regular dives and another for photography dives but i would need to save a little extra money then :pinch: . Last time a couple of whalesharks passed the reef here and next time i would like to catch that on camera.

former1    27

Sony Cybershot DSC-P10, in an underwater housing. My ex-girlfriend had one, and it worked rather well :) . Think they're cheap now to, so highly recommended (Y). Also a + point is, it can record underwater movies.