page file allocation?

i have 1 and a half MB in percentage (150%) from my Ram Menory in a drive away from my OS drive... i think that's the correct way to do it but i'm not sure... anyone ?

Really depends on what software your going to use. For the most optimal page file it should be in its own FAT16 partition away from system files. I have mine set to 400 min & max in a 500 meg FAT16 partition & a dynamic page file (windows default) on my boot drive. Even better if you have two HDDs one static page file on each drive & a dynamic page file on your boot drive.

My Computer Management

Originally posted by TwoZigzagColt45

Really depends on what software your going to use. For the most optimal page file it should be in its own FAT16 partition away from system files. I have mine set to 400 min & max in a 500 meg FAT16 partition & a dynamic page file (windows default) on my boot drive. Even better if you have two HDDs one static page file on each drive & a dynamic page file on your boot drive.

My Computer Management

FAT16?? Mind explaining why that's better than using fat32 or ntfs? (your post intrigued me, so I want to know more, hence my asking)

FAT16 is the least compressed and is accessed quicker

FAT32 has more compression and is slower to access

NTFS is slower still, it is a very complex filing system & is excellent at compressing files the only reason it can keep up with FAT32 is because of its dynamic nature (MFT meta data files) this kind of filing structure will only hinder the page file.

so you just set a 400 mb.min/max for progarm page file on a 500 mb. fat partition. and

use default size for system cache on boot/system ntfs partition.

please, corr me if i'm wrong.

Thanks,

Originally posted by TwoZigzagColt45

My Computer Management

TwoZigzagColt45: Your last sentence intrigues me. I have two HDD's and one static page file on each. If I am reading your last sentence, I come up with three page files!(one static on each and a dynamic one on the boot drive?). My surmise is that you mean two page files, one static on the "slave drive" and a dynamic one on the boot/OS drive. My experience has demonstrated that if I use this configuration, the dynamic page file is not defragmented as well (I use Diskeeper). Please clarify.

:p Yes I have three page files 2 x 400meg fixed 1 on each HDD in its own FAT16 partition & 256meg windows managed on the boot drive.

the dynamic page file is not defragmented as well
try this; defrag your page file http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware...agedefrag.shtml increase this page file to a stupid size say 2gig now the page file will be allocated a new place on the disc in more open space then resize back to its original size & it should keep its new location on the disc.

windows uses a percentage of ram to work out the page file: in a 256meg system this can be set to low(382meg initial size), resulting in a performance hit when all the page file is used. Increase your minimum to say 500meg(custom) & then let windows manage it - the initial size will stay at the size you have set.

sorry I was over simplifying I meant in relation to the cluster size NTFS is able store larger files in less space

Still wrong, FAT clusters or NTFS clusters, no difference. A cluster is just the place on disk where a packet of data is in. If it's a 4kb FAT32 cluster or a 4kb NTFS cluster, no difference.

that sounds reasonable. generally if you have more than 256MB of ram you would want to have a page file roughly of half the size of the amount of your physical memory. ;)

please tell us how your system performs after you apply the changes. :)

Originally posted by codyg11

please tell us how your system performs after you apply the changes. :)

well i'm only gonna upgrade tomorrow, i have 256right now

gonna have more memory and processor power hehe :) but i will sure tell

The default, or recommended, paging file size is equal to 1.5 times the total amount of RAM.

if i have 512 that means i would have to have a 700 and something page file... god dammit i only have a 6.4GB disk

Originally posted by use_imagination

if i have 512 that means i would have to have a 700 and something page file... god dammit i only have a 6.4GB disk

I think that only applies to systems with 256 MB of RAM or less.

Originally posted by codyg11

I think that only applies to systems with 256 MB of RAM or less.

yeah i guess you're right but M$ dosen't specify and only use a generic term :/