yum problem in Mandravia 10.2

I've just installed mandravia 10.2 on my laptop in order to get the wireless network card to function, and it's worked like a charm ^.^

I'm trying to get used to the package managment system, yum.

Whenever I try

yum anything

I get the error below

[root@192 david]# yum install mousepad
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
    import yummain
ImportError: Bad magic number in /usr/share/yum/yummain.pyc

Does anyone know of this error and what to do about it? Any help greatly appreciated, thanks

Hey Dave,

FC and RedHat use YUM. Mandriva uses URPMI. Configure it with this link:

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

It is extremely easy to do and works like a charm!

Just choose your distro version, choose the mirrors closest to you, copy the final code to your console (as SU). It will download and update your sources. To update, as SU type "urpmi.update -a" (no quotes) and to download and update packages, use "urpmi --auto-select" (again, no quotes).

Barney

Edited by barneyt

I though Mandriva had urpmi, not yum?

586576653[/snapback]

Apparently it has yum installed o.O I can acess the man page, and it does try to run..

Thanks for the replies, barney. I've got that working fine now.

Are there any other repos that I can I add for urpmi? The ones from that EasyUrpmi site seem a tad limited.. I've been unable to install flux, xfce, feh and a few others that I would have liked to.

Thanks again.

Yes, I did add those repos. I also can't seem to get firefox beyond 1.0.2. The latest version released is 1.0.7 ... This is old enough that I can't add any extensions :angry:

Hmmmm... you might want to do delete the current repos on your list and re-download new ones from Easy URPMI that are different from the ones you chose before. For instance, I used the repos at Rutgers, then decided to use the University of Texas. The packages there were more current......... check the tutorial for the "remove media" command. I hope that this helps.

The command is URPMI removemedia.

Barney

Edited by barneyt

mandriva is both a free and a commercial distro. very much like xandros. you will find updates to everything "linux/mandriva/kde/gnome" in the repos from Easy Urpmi. Things like firefox updates, newer nvidia/ati drivers, latest java, azureus, etc, they're part of the "mandriva club" which is subscription based.

firefox 1.0.7 isn't available in the repositories just yet. with mandriva 2006 coming out soon, the cooker/upstream was frozen around the 20th of september. iso's for 2006 will be available at the beginning of next month. even so, only firefox 1.0.6 is included, any further updates to firefox will be in the 2006 repos once they're on-line.

to remove media from urpmi the command is

urpmi.removemedia -a

hope this helps

Yes, I did add those repos. I also can't seem to get firefox beyond 1.0.2. The latest version released is 1.0.7 ... This is old enough that I can't add any extensions :angry:

586580610[/snapback]

it might say 1.0.2, but the guts of it is actually 1.0.6. I have lots of extensions installed with that version.

post-39595-1127737417_thumb.jpg