Microsoft and Intel Back HD DVD

Microsoft and Intel Back HD DVD as Next-Generation High-Definition DVD Format of Choice

Intel Corporation and Microsoft Corp. announced today that they will join major consumer electronics manufacturers, content providers and other companies as members of the HD DVD Promotion Group. After extensive review, both companies determined that the HD DVD format developed by the DVD Forum meets important criteria and delivers unique advantages, including PC and connected device interoperability and an easy, affordable transition to high definition for consumers.

"There are both challenges and opportunities in the transition to high-definition experiences throughout the home," said Blair Westlake, corporate vice president of the Media/Entertainment & Technology Convergence Group at Microsoft. "And after looking at the core advantages to the PC ecosystem and how it would benefit the consumer, it is clear that HD DVD offers the highest quality, and is the most affordable and highly flexible solution available."

"Our vision with Intel Viiv technology is that digital media content can be enjoyed on these Intel-based PCs and consumer electronics devices in and around the home in an easy and affordable manner," said Brendan Traw, Intel Fellow and chief technology officer of Intel's Digital Home Group. "Intel has determined that HD DVD best meets the needs of consumers and the requirements for the respective consumer electronics, computer and entertainment industries for delivering a high-definition, interactive experience to the home on optical media."

Microsoft and Intel cited the following consumer and industry requirements of any successful next-generation optical format for high definition, which is reflected by what HD DVD delivers today:

Managed Copy: A first for DVDs. Managed Copy is a guaranteed feature within HD DVD that gives consumers the freedom to make copies of their discs to a hard drive or home server, including Media Center PCs using Intel Viiv technology, and enjoy them in every room of the house over their home networks. HD DVD discs also will allow copies of the movie to be played on portable devices.

"Future-proof" compatibility. Using proven HD DVD "hybrid disc" technology, a single disc can store both high-definition and standard- definition versions of a film, allowing consumers to immediately enjoy the standard-definition movies stored on these discs on today's DVD players, while HD movies can be replayed later on the HD DVD platform. This is an opportunity for consumers to buy discs at launch that future proof their collections -- in other words, helping assure customers that the discs they buy will remain viewable in the future.

Proven low-cost, high-volume manufacturing. HD DVD discs use essentially the same manufacturing equipment as existing DVDs, meaning that production of HD DVD can ramp up easily and with lower costs.

Superior capacity. HD DVD-ROM discs will offer dual-layer 30GB discs at launch, compared with BD-ROM discs, which will be limited to 25GB.

Superior interactivity. HD DVD discs will offer greater interactivity using iHD technology, allowing for enhanced content, navigation and value-added functionality for high-definition films. For example, HD DVDs can offer advanced picture-in-picture capability so that other video, such as a director's commentary, could play on top of the movie.

Superior format for notebook PCs. The compatibility of HD DVD with standard DVD facilitates and simplifies development of slim disc drives for integration in notebook PCs, one of the fastest-growing segments of the PC market.

As longtime leaders in the development of new industry specifications, Intel and Microsoft believe a single optical disc format is an ideal solution that would drive rapid consumer adoption. Although the companies have determined that HD DVD is the only viable solution at this time, each remains committed to working toward one format that meets consumer and industry requirements.

Toshiba Corporation is delighted to learn that Intel and Microsoft Corporation have announced their support for HD DVD.

Source: TeamXbox

"Future-proof" compatibility. Using proven HD DVD "hybrid disc" technology, a single disc can store both high-definition and standard- definition versions of a film, allowing consumers to immediately enjoy the standard-definition movies stored on these discs on today's DVD players, while HD movies can be replayed later on the HD DVD platform. This is an opportunity for consumers to buy discs at launch that future proof their collections -- in other words, helping assure customers that the discs they buy will remain viewable in the future.

I personally think this will clinch it for HD-DVD.

Superior capacity. HD DVD-ROM discs will offer dual-layer 30GB discs at launch, compared with BD-ROM discs, which will be limited to 25GB.

586586013[/snapback]

Very lame to compare dual-layer to single-layer. And even then dual-layer HD-DVD is only 5GB more than single-layer Blu-ray.

Dual-layer Blu-ray is 50GB, almost twice the capacity of dual-layer HD-DVD.

Blu-ray is the superior format plus it sounds cooler.

Very lame to compare dual-layer to single-layer. And even then dual-layer HD-DVD is only 5GB more than single-layer Blu-ray.

Dual-layer Blu-ray is 50GB, almost twice the capacity of dual-layer HD-DVD.

Blu-ray is the superior format.

586586306[/snapback]

The article is from TeamXbox, were you expecting an unbiased opinion? Ugh, the thought of the possiblity of having a 30GB standard instead of having 200GB media makes me sick.

With multi-layering blu-ray will be able to go up to 200GB (8 layers).

TDK already has a 100GB disk:

tdk4.jpg

JVC also has an experimental hybrid DVD\BD disc:

jvc3.jpg

Edited by jmole

The article is from TeamXbox, were you expecting an unbiased opinion?

586586327[/snapback]

Its in the press release/articles from other sources as well. I guess you didnt read the other stories on this topic to realise it. :laugh:

Ugh, the thought of the possiblity of having a 30GB standard instead of having 200GB media makes me sick.

586586327[/snapback]

The thought of the possibility of having a 15GB/25GB per layer standard makes me sick^sick. :x

With multi-layering blu-ray will be able to go up to 200GB (8 layers).

TDK already has a 100GB disk:

JVC also has an experimental hybrid DVD\BD disc:

586586327[/snapback]

With multi-layering HVD will go upto 1TB. There are prototypes of such disks also. :yes:

WOW!!!1TB thats nutz!awsome!!!! :woot:  :woot:  :woot:  :woot:

586586935[/snapback]

w00t!!! :woot: :woot: :woot:

now I have all the space I need to fit... errmm, solitaire? :blink: :rolleyes: :wacko: :pinch: :whistle:

Fuzie

Blu-ray is the superior format plus it sounds cooler. /

Well so was betamax. and various sony tecnoligies like minidisc etc...

Its the price and compatibility that matter to the movie studios and the general public. As I have said many times before in the real world Average Joe does not care about 50gb or 30gb, and if they look almost alike and one is cheaper the cheaper one will win. Got to realise about 90% or so of the people in the world would buy a cheaper product and especially if they do not know or care about GB's and cant really see any differnce between the products with the naked eye in terms of picture quality.

Its not like Bluray is DVD compared to VHS(Hd-DVD)

They will be indentical to look at really.

Well, if Microsoft doesn't put in a HD-DVD in the 360, what good does that do them?

I don't really think this added anything to the HD-DVD side. I mean, what's Intel going to do? Release processors in HD-DVD? What matters is the movie industry.

And another point, HD-DVD is being released AFTER Blueray. Which means they'll probably have dual-layer Blueray disk by then.

Well, if Microsoft doesn't put in a HD-DVD in the 360, what good does that do them?

586587276[/snapback]

Its called leverage. Sony uses PS3 to push Blu-Ray, Microsoft uses Vista to push HD-DVD.

I don't really think this added anything to the HD-DVD side. I mean, what's Intel going to do? Release processors in HD-DVD? What matters is the movie industry.

586587276[/snapback]

Intel is going to bully most of its partners into incorporating HD-DVD drives. Movie Industry matters but since they are pretty much split over the formats, the onus falls on to some other factor.

And another point, HD-DVD is being released AFTER Blueray. Which means they'll probably have dual-layer Blueray disk by then.

586587276[/snapback]

After ? Would mind sharing the link. :)

Its called leverage. Sony uses PS3 to push Blu-Ray, Microsoft uses Vista to push HD-DVD.

Intel is going to bully most of its partners into incorporating HD-DVD drives. Movie Industry matters but since they are pretty much split over the formats, the onus falls on to some other factor.

After ? Would mind sharing the link. :)

586587338[/snapback]

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=96238

I got ahead of myself, it's been delayed to 06, and PS3 is coming out in Spring 06 which is like March~April~May-ish. So unless they delayed HD-DVD less than 3~4 months, the PS3 will be out.

QUOTE(Surrieall @ Sep 27 2005, 17:25)

LOL, HD-DVD is coming out first. If it were just Hd-dvd vs Blu ray without any ps2 or xbox or MS. Hd-dvd will blow bluray out of the water as blu ray is too expensive to produce and the consumers will be severly affected. The only reason blu ray is going to have a good chance is dependant on the success of the PS3.

The thought of the possibility of having a 15GB/25GB per layer standard makes me sick^sick. :x

What's wrong with that?

With multi-layering HVD will go upto 1TB. There are prototypes of such disks also. :yes:
Where are you getting this from?
LOL, HD-DVD is coming out first.

@Hitman2000: Blu-ray is already out in Japan.

Edited by jmole

QUOTE(Surrieall @ Sep 27 2005, 17:25)

LOL, HD-DVD is coming out first. If it were just Hd-dvd vs Blu ray without any ps2 or xbox or MS. Hd-dvd will blow bluray out of the water as blu ray is too expensive to produce and the consumers will be severly affected. The only reason blu ray is going to have a good chance is dependant on the success of the PS3.

586587381[/snapback]

As with any new technology the first generation of products will likely be quite expensive due to low production volumes. However, this shouldn't be a problem for long as there is a wide range of Blu-ray Disc products (players, recorders, drives, writers, media, etc) planned, which should help drive up production volumes and lower overall production costs. Once mass production of components for Blu-ray products begins the prices are expected to fall quickly.

According to the Blu-ray Disc Association, the overall cost of manufacturing Blu-ray Disc media will in the end be no more expensive than producing a DVD. The reduced injection molding costs (one molding machine instead of two, no birefringence problems) offset the additional cost of applying the cover layer and low cost hard-coat, while the techniques used for applying the recording layer remain the same. As production volumes increase the production costs should fall and eventually be comparable to DVDs.

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#3.1

Expensive in the beginning, I've heard a ballpark figure of $5 more at most, but then it'll drop to DVD prices when it gets good.

Plus, Dell and HP support Blueray. That means it'll get out to the common people.

What's wrong with that?

586587397[/snapback]

Right back at you. :)

Where are you getting this from?

586587397[/snapback]

Common sense and some google searching skills. :cool:

Plus, Dell and HP support Blueray. That means it'll get out to the common people.

586587408[/snapback]

Microsoft & Intel pretty much control Dell's offerings. So unless AMD wins their suit against Intel, that situation is looking bleak for Blu-Ray.

Microsoft & Intel pretty much control Dell's offerings. So unless AMD wins their suit against Intel, that situation is looking bleak for Blu-Ray.

586587586[/snapback]

Yea the outlook is looking pretty bleak for blu-ray because of Dell, AMD, and Intel, considering most of the other manufactures who would actually make the players/recorders are on board along with other PC makers:

brand_logos_apple-12957.gif

Yea the outlook is looking pretty bleak for blu-ray because of Dell, AMD, and Intel, considering most of the other manufactures who would actually make the players/recorders are on board along with other PC makers:

586587624[/snapback]

I could as well "show case" the group of companies backing HD-DVD. I was responding to his point of Dell pushing Blu-Ray. If Microsoft doesnt include support for it in Vista, Dell wouldnt do it. Pretty much Intel could also bully Dell like they always do.

As most manufacturers who actually make players/recorders looky looky. :laugh:

I could as well "show case" the group of companies backing HD-DVD. I was responding to his point of Dell pushing Blu-Ray. If Microsoft doesnt include support for it in Vista, Dell wouldnt do it. Pretty much Intel could also bully Dell like they always do.

As most manufacturers who actually make players/recorders looky looky. :laugh:

586587714[/snapback]

Support as in drivers? Or backing Blu-Ray?

I'm not sure about it as is anybody on the topic, its completely upto Microsoft.

586587757[/snapback]

They can't just not support Blueray, that's like. Not supporting iTunes because Apple made it. It's a PC component, a disk drive. They can't refuse to support it.