Microsoft and Intel Back HD DVD

They can't just not support Blueray, that's like. Not supporting iTunes because Apple made it. It's a PC component, a disk drive. They can't refuse to support it.

586587783[/snapback]

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD both require a boatload of DRM software. It'll be a headache of joe-schmoes if Microsoft doesnt inlcude Blu-Ray's share of DRM and the joe-schmoe wants to watch a Blu-Ray movie. Just an example situation, I'm not saying they will do it but they could do it.

I undertand why MS is backing HD, not because it's superior (I think both have they pros and cons), they are backing to mess with PS3, wich I think is a low punch because they are not even bundling HD-DVD with the Xbox360.

But intel..

I undertand why MS is backing HD, not because it's superior (I think both have they pros and cons), they are backing to mess with PS3, wich I think is a low punch because they are not even bundling HD-DVD with the Xbox360.

But intel..

586587915[/snapback]

Initially that may look the only reason but it might be just one of many reasons.

The economics of the next-generation DVD formats

That's an opinion piece and he offers no sources for his information. Read the discussion on the topic, they offer some good points.

586587981[/snapback]

Yes it is an opinion piece, doesnt mean he is pulling those figures out of thin air. The opinion part applies to the could/might/may/should parts only. :)

As for the discussion, so far I havent read every post but to sum it up its mostly ****ed off blu-ray supporters attacking the author. :/

Yes it is an opinion piece, doesnt mean he is pulling those figures out of thin air. The opinion part applies to the could/might/may/should parts only. :)

As for the discussion, so far I havent read every post but to sum it up its mostly ****ed off blu-ray supporters attacking the author. :/

586588004[/snapback]

First I want to apologise for sounding like such an ass in the quote in your post.

I really just want this format war to end and MS and Intel just made it longer. :(

But yeah, as far as for movies, I don't think these new disks are needed that much. For games, I think it is. It's just a chain of purchases companies are pushing to make more money, to quote Occulis Fremeni at Ars;

Me: Gee, I keep hearing about this HD stuff, I guess it's cool, right?

Sony: Yes! Blu-ray will change your life! Fewer discs in box sets!

Me: So, the next boxed set of 24 will be cheaper? Because of fewer discs?

Sony: Er... no. Much, much more expensive, actually.

Microsoft: That's why Sony blows goats. Buy HD-DVD, it's just the same as DVD, only better! And that boxed set of 24 won't be cheaper, but it won't be as expensive as the Blu-ray one.

Me: Oh... not quite as expensive is better, I suppose. Now, I have to buy a new player; can I buy one that will support both Blu-ray and HD-DVD?

Panasonic: No. You get to gamble. But HD will change your life!

Me: I have to buy two different players?

Panasonic: Just pick one, it will probably work... um, yeah. And you'll need to plug it into your network, so that we can spy on you to prevent piracy. If we think you're trying something funny, we'll just nuke your player.

Me: Holy ****!

Panasonic: Exactly.

Me: Fine fine. Now, I can just plug this into my TV, like DVD, right?

Samsung: Ah, about that- you see, your ****ty old TV doesn't play HD content.

Me: WTF!

Samsung: So, throw it away and buy this new, expensive one.

Me: I'm feeling faint...

Monster: Oh, and you'll need some new cables- HD will change your life, but you need all new cables because the old ones won't work.

Me: Blrgg...

Best Buy: Buy the product replacement plan!

Me:

Anyways, to be on topic, good for HD DVD, I hope they make a unifed format. :laugh:

I'm still searching the internet for this 1TB claim for HD-DVD.?

586588032[/snapback]

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000447030408/

http://www.engadget.com/entry/9772446245622191/

I still stick to my opinion that both HD-DVD & Blu-Ray are interim solutions. DVD still has some legs to go that we dont need to push and stick support to any one of those two interim solutions.;))

First I want to apologise for sounding like such an ass in the quote in your post.

586588039[/snapback]

No probs.;))

I say lets buy the Samsung player.:laugh::

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000447030408/

http://www.engadget.com/entry/9772446245622191/

I still stick to my opinion that both HD-DVD & Blu-Ray are interim solutions. DVD still has some legs to go that we dont need to push and stick support to any one of those two interim solutions. ;)

586588057[/snapback]

Wait were you talking about HVD or HD-DVD earlier?

*Edit: Nevermind, I see you were talking about HVD in your earlier post, I thought you said HD-DVD. I was going to say, I never heard HD-DVD holding 1TB.

Isn't someone making a drive that can do HD-DVD and Blue-Ray? I saw that posted a week back here on Neowin if I remember correctly.

It seems like this HD/Blue-Ray DVD thing is like a MPEG4 Codec and now we just need to choose who will make and own the technology.

To be fair, the article was as biased as the comments.

What I don't like is MS motives for ditching Blue Ray, just to mess with PS3, I mean, they are Sony "enemy" but, THEY ARE NOT BUNDLING IT with 360, wich i think it's a messy strategy from MS,

I don't really care; as long as as one version kills the other, because I really don't want to have a "movie war" as in only some movies will be on Blu-Ray/HD-DVD etc. Why can't corporations just get along? :(

Managed Copy: A first for DVDs. Managed Copy is a guaranteed feature within HD DVD that gives consumers the freedom to make copies of their discs to a hard drive or home server, including Media Center PCs using Intel Viiv technology, and enjoy them in every room of the house over their home networks. HD DVD discs also will allow copies of the movie to be played on portable devices.

586586013[/snapback]

Oh no... What will the MPAA do now..? :whistle:

To be fair, the article was as biased as the comments.

What I don't like is MS motives for ditching Blue Ray, just to mess with PS3, I mean, they are Sony "enemy" but, THEY ARE NOT BUNDLING IT with 360, wich i think it's a messy strategy from MS,

586588104[/snapback]

Show me one stitch of evidence that says MS is backing HD-DVD to mess with PS3/Sony

MS has been on the HD-DVD side of the fence for quite some time now they've mentioned it repeatedly when referring to Windows Vista and the future of Media Center, they just finally "officiated" their stance on it.

I know everyone likes to think MS is a huge "evil" corporation, but it does not mean that every decision they make is based solely on screwing another company over.

Show me one stitch of evidence that says MS is backing HD-DVD to mess with PS3/Sony

MS has been on the HD-DVD side of the fence for quite some time now they've mentioned it repeatedly when referring to Windows Vista and the future of Media Center, they just finally "officiated" their stance on it.

I know everyone likes to think MS is a huge "evil" corporation, but it does not mean that every decision they make is based solely on screwing another company over.

586594393[/snapback]

MS was Neutral and so was intel until now, and I don't think MS as an evil corp, and one obvious evidence is the plans for HD-DVD+xbox360, they have stated that several times, what I don't like is that I am buying a 360 this winter (I hope i can get one) and I will not be getting HD-DVD.