Need Help Picking Right LCD TV

malebolgia

Hello all, for over 10 years I've been using a little 13 Inch TV in my room. I've finally reached the point where I need a better TV. :D

However, unlike computers I really don't know much about TVs. So I need some help with picking out a pretty good LCD TV for my room. Since this TV is going to go in my room, space is definitely an issue, but so is what I want from the LCD TV.

I'd like to have:

• Widescreen LCD TV
  • Maximum screen size of 27 Inches, Minimum of something close to 22 Inches
  • TV Tuner
  • Something that displays movies very good (DVD)
  • Displays HD signals form cable box good
  • Price range $500-$1,200

You guys have any recommendations for my wanted features (wishlist)?

bangbang023

23":

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1110265593688

26":

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1110265591363

Turn DNIE on and you get a contrast ratio of 3000:1 (hardware is limited to 1000:1, software does the rest). Combined with a 12ms response time, it's great for gaming and such. Has an ntsc tuner but no atsc. You shouldn't worry about the tuner since you have cable anyway.

sin-ergy

^ I've heard the samsung's aren't that great for gaming. That there's a lot of "ghosting". Not sure though since I've never seen it in action myself.

You might wanna go to avsforum.com ... lotta info about lcd, plasma and all the other ones. :happy:

bangbang023
^ I've heard the samsung's aren't that great for gaming.  That there's a lot of "ghosting".  Not sure though since I've never seen it in action myself. 

You might wanna go to avsforum.com ...  lotta info about lcd, plasma and all the other ones.  :happy:

586589451[/snapback]

They have a 12ms response time. I've seen them in action up to the 40" and there is no ghosting that I could see.

malebolgia
^ I've heard the samsung's aren't that great for gaming.  That there's a lot of "ghosting".  Not sure though since I've never seen it in action myself. 

You might wanna go to avsforum.com ...  lotta info about lcd, plasma and all the other ones.  :happy:

586589451[/snapback]

I guess that means I'm safe (don't play games on my TV anymore) :laugh:

malebolgia

I just got a PM from a fellow Neowin member who suggest that I go with this LCD TV:

Please click here

He claims that it's just as good as the Samsung one, what's your guys opinions on this cheaper LCD TV?

sin-ergy

It's probably best to read reviews and check it out yourself. I, for one, wouldn't trust these lower brands, but that's just me :)

bangbang023

Ughh he IM'ed me last night about it. It's not a good set. Go and look at it yourself. The ghosting was eveident even on a scene with guys jogging slowly around a track. The colors are washed out. It's no where near the Samsung.

bangbang023

Did you read the review of that?

Polaroid TVs cost approximately $400-600 less than similarly sized models from Sharp and Sony, and it's easy to see where they cut corners. Cheap materials, a poor user interface, and a sub-par picture detract from the Polaroid FLM-2601's attractive price.
sin-ergy

Hey bangbang, you work at best buy right? Do they have nice price cuts on boxing day sale? I'm wondering if the sony lcds are gonna drop in price any time soon. I want that the new bravia 40incher but $3500 will put a big dent in my wallet :)

bangbang023
Hey bangbang, you work at best buy right?  Do they have nice price cuts on boxing day sale?  I'm wondering if the sony lcds are gonna drop in price any time soon.  I want that the new bravia 40incher but $3500 will put a big dent in my wallet :)

586596642[/snapback]

They should, yes. There's usually not a big difference on the more expensive stuff, though.

malebolgia

I went to Best Buy yesterday, and I must say that Samsung LCD TV got my attention pretty fast. :happy:

Edit: Now I just need to decide on whether or not to get the extended warranty that Best Buy offers.

bangbang023
I went to Best Buy yesterday, and I must say that Samsung LCD TV got my attention pretty fast. :happy:

Edit: Now I just need to decide on whether or not to get the extended warranty that Best Buy offers.

586601295[/snapback]

Well its a good time to consider it since they just moved to a price tier based system. On the 23 inch, it should be around $130, instead of the $200 it used to be. The 32" just came down, for the service, from $400 to $250.

Martog

For that price range, you can't go wrong at all with the Samsung LCD TV's with DNIE, I love my 26"! The only other brand I considered was the Sharp Aquos, and I decided the Samsung was the set to go for, don't let imitations fool you! :D

sin-ergy

I'm still debating whether or not to buy a tv online or in store. I can save up to $700 buying one online but...there are certains risks. Ugh. decisions decisions.

Martog
I'm still debating whether or not to buy a tv online or in store.  I can save up to $700 buying one online but...there are certains risks.  Ugh.  decisions decisions.

586615157[/snapback]

I bought my Samsung from Amazon.com, I say that's a pretty safe purchase right there. :)

sin-ergy
I bought my Samsung from Amazon.com, I say that's a pretty safe purchase right there. :)

586625066[/snapback]

I would probably gobble that right up from Amazon, if only it wasn't listed at MSRP :no:

blowMeNeo

(removed, accidental double post. dont ask me why it happened)

sin-ergy

^ Not a whole lot of selections. Doesn't carry the new sony bravia line. Thanks for the link tho ;)