Giant squid photographed for first time

TOKYO (AP) -- The giant squid can be found in books and in myths, but for the first time, a team of Japanese scientists has captured on film one of the most mysterious creatures of the deep sea in its natural habitat.

The team led by Tsunemi Kubodera, from the National Science Museum in Tokyo, tracked the 26-foot long Architeuthis as it attacked prey nearly 3,000 feet deep off the coast of Japan's Bonin islands.

Link

Wow, and to think were still looking at alot more to explore in our very own oceans.

Thi is truely a massive animal, and to think the last real time a giant squid was mentioned was in Jules Verne's novel 20,000 leagues under the sea (great book btw).

Seems just like the rocket, he was right all along, 200years ago!. Man i love good science fiction.

I wonder what caused it to get to such a size, what evolutionary steps had taken place?

succeeding of genes over the eons? succesful hunting techniques? I dunno, it is said

No one knows exactly where the giant squid typically live, but there are a number of clues. Their bodies have been found floating or washed ashore in many places around the world, and in the past two decades they've come up in deep-sea trawls with hauls of fish. In New Zealand waters, they are found where their enemy, the sperm whale hunts.

Edited by ripgut

Damn, nice! This was a cool mystery.. sound a few documenteries on the discovery channel and how a lot of marine biologists were in search of them for years and years but no one could find a living one.

that is really cool, another great scientific achievement I think. though it would be pretty scary seeing an alive one up close because they seem really fast and aggressive from the video. GJ to the Japanese scientist guy! :)

This is amazing. The ocean I think could be such a great thing to start building colonies, forget the moon ;). Honestly though, the way water is made up the heat in it escapes much more slowly, so if ever we were faced with a new Ice Age a la Day after tomorrow, and we had working underwater colonies we could be safe. Of course there are the complications of actually making safe working underwater habitats. But there is so much we could do.

Sorry about the rambling... but yeah, I hope more is discovered in the ocean before I am gone.

Thread Cleand a bit

This is amazing. The ocean I think could be such a great thing to start building colonies, forget the moon ;). Honestly though, the way water is made up the heat in it escapes much more slowly, so if ever we were faced with a new Ice Age a la Day after tomorrow, and we had working underwater colonies we could be safe. Of course there are the complications of actually making safe working underwater habitats. But there is so much we could do.

Sorry about the rambling... but yeah, I hope more is discovered in the ocean before I am gone.

Thread Cleand a bit

586591321[/snapback]

but there are three factors in which i see that would prevent a colonization of our seas.

1.) Pressure- the deeper one goes the higher the pressure is

2.) Underwater quakes - creating heavy under water waves, sure they mostly effect the surface water, as the wave of energy travel upside, But i don't doubt that it will have an effect on the colonies below the surface.

3.) Predators, waste, and energy consumption - Well predators is kinda far fetched but the impact we will have on the ecosystem now, imagine what will happen if we did colonize the oceans, Where is our waste gonna go, Do we have studies under way to effectively recycle waste into, lets say energy in an underwater environment? Electricity, under water turbines in a sealed dome, or sphere, cranking out electricity? This also brings up fresh water, are we gonna somehow use the ocean water, and clean it for our own uses?

To me the moon just might be more expensive, but the long term gains will be better, and will play a role in preserving our little globe from further destruction that we have contributed too already. both spots have there pros and cons though.

Edited by ripgut

also if you where to bulid like a big dome in the sea where would the water that has just been displaced go?

would that be another reason why we can't bulid under water or would we just simply move the water in to big holdings and just ship it to third word countries