Star cracks caused by starquake

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0509...ar_cracked.html

Seems since Nuetron stars are made up of protons, electrons and neutrons making for ahighly unstable star which produces a large magnetic fields causes them to have quakes, which produced cracks in the particular star. Radiation was deteced leaking as well, it also temporarily blinded some satellites.

I'm not totally sure Ripgut, but I think Neutron stars are made up only of Neutrons, hence the name.

586595152[/snapback]

A magnetar's interior is a dense, liquid-like mix of neutrons, protons, and electrons ? making it a terrific conductor of electricity.

Umm, this doesn't seem right to me. Look up the definition of a neutron star and you will see that this definition and the definition of a magnetar in your article do not seem to mesh.

Anyone else shed any light ?

Umm, this doesn't seem right to me. Look up the definition of a neutron star and you will see that this definition and the definition of a magnetar in your article do not seem to mesh.

Anyone else shed any light ?

586595370[/snapback]

Well magnetars seem to of a different form of a neutron star, but nonetheless, a nuetron star:

"Another class of neutron star, known as the magnetar, exists. These have a magnetic field of about 100 gigateslas, strong enough to wipe a credit card from the distance of the Moon. By comparison, Earth's natural magnetic field is about 60 microteslas. A small neodymium based rare earth magnet has a field of about a tesla, and most media used for data storage can be erased with milliteslas.

Magnetars occasionally produce bursts of X-ray emission. About once per decade, a magnetar somewhere in the Galaxy produces a giant flare of gamma-rays. Magnetars have long rotation periods, typically 5 to 12 seconds, because their strong magnetic fields have caused them to brake rapidly" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_star

Here is a great link i found:

Nuetron stars

Also another resource, not related to this discussion but good still:

www.arxiv.org