There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

Looking for a DSLR

I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on entry level DSLR's. I've been playing around with an old Pentax SLR of my parents and really started to like the feel. Price really isn't an issue right now, i'm just looking for something that isn't going to overwhelm me too much.

I have a canon Digital Rebel (the 300D) and its great so far. I'm sure you can pick one up for a good price and buy some nice lenses with the money you save.

Canon EOS350D :)

I've used the Nikon D70 a lot and my friends EOS 300D and whilst I feel the D70 takes much better pics than the 300D, the 350D is meant to be MUCH better.. and cheaper!

Another vote for the Canon 350D here. I personally prefer the picture quality of the Canon 350D, than that of the Nikon D70 (Nikons competition for the 350D). Also the 350D comes with an extra 2M.P. for the same price so can't complain.

However - if you have big hands, then you may not like the 350D as it's so amazingly small and lightweight. However if you hike alot, then it truly is a blessing as it's so light :p.

Erm i'd recommend checking dpreview.com and just purchasing one or two DSLR photography magazines, and read some reviews :).

Hope I helped,

Ian.

Thanks guys. I've actually been looking at the 350D and comparing it to the 300D. While I'm starting off, i'm probably not going to need ALL the features that the 350D has, but instead of buying another camera down the road, I might as well have the features now.

I think i'll run down the street and grab a photography magazine today, thanks MI6.

Well, the hunt continues. More suggestions guys!

Edit: Also, what websites would you guys suggest buying a camera from? If not, is there any particular store that I should start looking for? There's a few around my town, but I never really stopped in and had a look around.

Edited by dmeags

Well I would recommend the D70. As I've said before in other topics, my site can be viewed as a sample gallery (link in sig, Shattered Abstracts). The D70 is a very easy to use camera if you just want it for point and shoot, but when you feel like challenging yourself a bit, there is a very large range of manual settings you can adjest to your heart's content. And of course you can't forget the very high quality kit lens.

Before you just buy anything, go to the store and hold some of these cameras. You don't want to end up buying something thats going to be uncomforable. Remember, just because its small doesn't mean it will fit in your pocket, don't forget how big lenses are. I owned a 350D and returned it because of the size.

try nikon. the nikon d70s/d50 are great.

i am a fan of konica-minolta, the dynax7 is just great... sharpness, quality... everythings great. ;)

since i am not a fan of canon, the 350D is not a cam for me, but still pretty good.

oh and look for a "kit". otherwise you only get the body, with no lenses. ---> photography may be... impossible. :Ds

D70 gets my vote

infact we've got two of those bodies

the kit lens that comes with D70 is awesome.

the one that comes with 20D with IS is poor in comparison (which i have played with a little bit) i assume the IS lens tha tcomes with 20D is same as 350D these days

also operation wise, 300D (i havn't used the 350D) feels slow and sluggish and kind of difficult to adjust apature and shutter at same time ( only has one jog dial)

but im not sure if 350D has changed those :)

happy shooting

I'm really leaning towards the 350D now that I've read up on it some more and actually got down to a store to get my hands on one. Unfortunately, the purchase won't be made until around Christmas time :( Thanks for the input.

• 4 months later...

This is easy... Nikon D70s, or the D50 (simpler). Avoid Konica/Minolta... they announced today that they are getting out of the Photo Business. Selling out to SONY... Good advice above, a trip to a local dealer and hold one. I have shot with Nikons my entire career , so for me Nikon is a no brainer. Good luck... :yes:

post-66008-1140475211_thumb.jpg