• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Olympus Digi Cam Problem

Nashy    1,662

When I turn the flash off, and take a picture, it seems to stall while doing it.

It has a sound when I take a photo, so instead of hearing

*Diiing*

I hear

*dii......ing*

The photo turns out blurry and grose. When the flash is on, its fiine. SOmetimes it works when I play around with the picture type.

Any ideas?

.AlleymaN    0

It is compensating for the low light by taking pictures at longer shutter speed and because human hands cant be rock steady the pictures often come out blurry...If u have any software that can show you the exif info of the picture file you will be able to see what Im talking about....

Nashy    1,662

How can I disable it. Whats the point of taking a pic if it can't be seen?

accesser    2

Crank up the ISO settings,

This will make things look a bit grainy but will stop the blur.

Also try and rest the camera on something like a table, if that?s not possible I often lean up against a wall or corridor holding the cam against the wall to keep it steady.

.Atlantis    0

All posts so far are correct.

It's your camera doing it's job of allowing more light to hit the sensor, so you can actually see an image, instead of just 'black' - This is called 'Exposure time'. With flash enabled, the low-light is temporarily filled with a harsh white light, and the camera see's this and takes the image without a problem - Although you get the rough looking shadows, and harsh overexposed areas. The longer the exposure, the longer it keeps the lens open, and therefore the more chance of catching blurring in your images.

Depending on what camera you have, you can adjust the ISO settings, and the Exposure time. The higher the ISO speed, the more light it allows to enter although the more chance of a grainy image. The lower the exposure time, the better you have to keep the camera still (nice time to invest in a tripod). You can up the exposure aswell as the ISO to balance it out a little, and therefore be able to hold the camera with your hands. Although it is suggest you lean against something, prop the camera, or put it on a tripod

Another little tip for you - Is to put your camera on self timer, this allows you to press the shutter button, and then leave the camera to take it's shot. Otherwise when you press the shutter button, and it takes the photograph straight away, you have chance of shaking the camera, and yet again causing the annoying blur.

Hope this helps,

.Atlantis