[help]Router Config

Question

mr_skrilla

I have a wireless router setup for me and my roommate. I was wondering if any of you guys know how to config the router, or software to download to config the router, so that his bandwidth is capped. He is always downloading **** and it is taking up all the freakin bandwidth and I want to discreetly cap his usage :)... He connects up to it wirelessly. thanks

5 answers to this question

Roger H.

hmm.. that's weird, i thought the router would share it evenly based on the request. i'll get back tho when i find some info

mr_skrilla
hmm.. that's weird, i thought the router would share it evenly based on the request. i'll get back tho when i find some info

586612328[/snapback]

the router does share it evenly, but when I am playing games online, download stuff myself then the speed I get is not as high as I would like it to be. I don't download stuff all the time like he does so I just want to be able to enable a cap on his connection when I am downloading stuff to increase the maximum speed I get.

SAXD

You will need a router that implements QoS (quality of service) then. Most SOHO wireless routers do not have QoS features implemented.

You could set up a router such as IPCop, Smoothwall, or Monowall, as they all have QoS capabilities, and add a wireless access point (not a router...) to either your LAN or Wi-Fi interface (IPCop supports 4 interfaces, 1 dedicated for Wi-Fi).

A few basic QoS rules should provide traffic shaping so that you get sufficent bandwidth for your gaming.

alexmandl
I have a wireless router setup for me and my roommate. I was wondering if any of you guys know how to config the router, or software to download to config the router, so that his bandwidth is capped. He is always downloading **** and it is taking up all the freakin bandwidth and I want to discreetly cap his usage :)... He connects up to it wirelessly.  thanks

586612027[/snapback]

Do you the part number of your wireless router?

Sometimes, you may find some alternative firmwares at google. One of them could have a QoS feature.

mr_skrilla

Thanks, I have an old(er) Belkin router... it's nothing special and I really doubt that it implements QoS, i'll check out if there are any firmware updates but I'm not crossing my fingers.

I was looking to get a new router sometime in the near future and that is a feature that I would like (not just for this situation but I have wished I could partition my bandwidth quite a few times before) so I'll check into it. Thanks