Physical location by IP address

NSA Granted Patent: Can Now Locate Anyone on Internet

I figured they could do this since the Arpanet but now they have a patent for it.

United States Patent 6,947,978

Method for geolocating logical network addresses

Abstract

Method for geolocating logical network addresses on electronically switched dynamic communications networks, such as the Internet, using the time latency of communications to and from the logical network address to determine its location. Minimum round-trip communications latency is measured between numerous stations on the network and known network addressed equipment to form a network latency topology map. Minimum round-trip communications latency is also measured between the stations and the logical network address to be geolocated. The resulting set of minimum round-trip communications latencies is then correlated with the network latency topology map to determine the location of the network address to be geolocated.

so then just spoof your IP, or hijack somebody elses pc in another country to do your activities

not that i would ever condone such things :whistle:

so then just spoof your IP, or hijack somebody elses pc in another country to do your activities

not that i would ever condone such things :whistle:

586613523[/snapback]

I believe it does not matter if it is spoofed or not as it takes into account of any extra hopps.

People please be careful in to how much detail you go describing how to conduct illict activities. Neowin is not a hacker/cracker/criminal website.

Nobody is crossing the line yet, but just be careful what you post.

they do know that latency isn't something that is set in stone, right?

you start downloading a big file, latency on your other links (established by other programs) starts going up (happening to me on IRC, i start a few torrents up, latency shoots up to around 150 seconds :pinch: )

they do know that latency isn't something that is set in stone, right?

you start downloading a big file, latency on your other links (established by other programs) starts going up (happening to me on IRC, i start a few torrents up, latency shoots up to around 150 seconds :pinch: )

586630245[/snapback]

What they are referring to doesn't work that way. All your doing is creating a delay in the sending/receiving of syn/ack packets thereby increasing the latency at your machine only. Sending a small packet with decreasing TTL's could still be used to determine the actual average latency between your computer and the next connecting device, versus the inflated latency you see due to congesting your up/downstream

No surprise to me. I can locate most of my buddies on my list according to their IPs.

IP addresses are allocated among ISPs, if most of us can upload our IP with our location to certain managed database this can be done just by running an app which will query it.

Method for geolocating logical network addresses on electronically switched dynamic communications networks, such as the Internet, using the time latency of [...snip...]

topology map to determine the location of the network address to be geolocated.

All too complicated for me :blush:

Would I be right in thinking they basically send a packet to the target, time how long it takes to go there and back, then use that to work out how much cable it's gone down, then find where in the world it is?