Windows 2000 hangs on boot....

I have someone's laptop and it will not boot into Windows 2000 Pro. Here is what has happened so far.

Person brings laptop to me. On 1st boot, I get a BSOD (0x7B Inaccessible Boot Device) during the Windows 2000 Professional loading screen; progess bar about 1/2 way across.

I boot using a BartPE CD and run a virus scan using Trend Micro's free Sysclean. It removes TROJ IST BAR variant and that is all. Reboot.

The system gets to the Windows 2000 loading screen and instead of BSODing it runs a chkdsk on the hard drive (good sign I thought). Chkdsk finds many indexing errors and corrects them and lists files that it is recovering (.jpgs, .gifs, etc probably temp internet files) It also mentions that the master file table has a bitmap problem and that it was corrected. Subsequent chkdsks say that there are no errors.

Chkdsk finishes and reboots the system. Now the progress bar on the Windows 2000 loading screen gets all the way to the end and the system just stays there indefinitely until I turn it off.

Tried booting into Safe Mode and it just hangs after the last file is listed (AGP440.sys). Tried Enable Boot Logging from Safe Mode menu but it doesn't appear to write the Ntbtlog.txt file to C:\WinNT (looked for it from BartPE and Knoppix CD) Tried Last Known Good Config, same result. Tried to get to recovery console via Windows 2000 cd but it hangs after typing the install number to log on to and hitting enter. Full OS repair/Fast Repair via the 2000 cd hangs on "Searching for previous versions of Microsoft Windows".

Ran Ad-aware from BartPE and it only found cookies on C:

Anyone have any ideas? I guess I could peek at the registry from BartPE or load a default registry for testing, although Windows 2000 doesn't have system restore so I don't know if I can load a slightly older registry from a backup. It could be a damaged hard disk but I'm not ready to make that declaration yet. Thanks for any ideas.

EDIT: I'm going to try this and I'll try to remember to post back

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

Edited by k22