Purchasing an HDTV

Mag 27" Widescreen LCD HDTV** (RX276)

he Mag RX276 is an amazing television with a great look and amazing features for an overall stunning visual experience. It has a 16:9 aspect ratio, 500:1 contrast ratio, and 500 cd/m2 brightness, which all translates in to a great picture, changing the way you look at television.

480i/480p/720p/1080i

$899.99

Samsung 23" Wide Screen Flat-Panel LCD HDTV** (LNR237)

$1,299.99

The Samsung LN-R237 LCD HDTV is a beautifully slim and light TV that has high quality features for ultimate performance. It comes with HDTV-ready features and lets you enjoy regular TV and display HDTV images from any High-Definition source.

BenQ 20" Flat-Panel LCD EDTV (DV2050)

Aspect Ratio 4:3

Experience superb picture quality with the BenQ DV2050 LCD TV. Due to image enhancement technologies, such as Color Transient Improvement (CTI) for reduced color smear, the BenQ DV2050 delivers a detailed, more true-to-life image. With four different picture preset modes, you can personalize your television for hours of true enjoyment.

480i/480p/720p/1080i

Toshiba 20" Flat Panel LCD HDTV** (20HL85) - Online Only

Released 28 Sep/05. Lift yourself to a new viewing dimension with Toshiba 20" Flat Panel LCD HDTV. It is perfect for someone with a small space but big wishes. It offers high quality images and liquid crystal display. This product is ultra thin and mounts as easily on a wall as on a desk, bureau or kitchen counter!

480i/480p 720p/1080i

I am looking for price + quality

thanks

Edited by Hanif

I'd go with the Samsung. The Toshiba has weak black levels, the Benq isn't HD, and the contrast ration on the Max is very low for a TV.

the BenQ is HD but its aspect ratio sucks (4:3)

ok....I will keep searching bestbuy.ca for any other deals! thanks bangbang

Any more information on your specific priorities when selecting? You looking for a slim, non-bulky display? Or are fixed to a limited price, and that is your first concern, or do you have some money to spend?

Personally, if you are not concerned with it being a little bigger box, there are some very good LCD projection (like the Sony Wega) that are awesome, and a lot bigger screen for the buck. So are you limiting yourself to just those, or are you open to other options?

Any more information on your specific priorities when selecting? You looking for a slim, non-bulky display? Or are fixed to a limited price, and that is your first concern, or do you have some money to spend?

Personally, if you are not concerned with it being a little bigger box, there are some very good LCD projection (like the Sony Wega) that are awesome, and a lot bigger screen for the buck. So are you limiting yourself to just those, or are you open to other options?

586626857[/snapback]

I don't care about the size I am looking for a budjet LCD that has all the features you need for watching DVD movies and playing Xbox 360 at a quality state

Samsung 20" Flat-Panel LCD EDTV

The Samsung LN-R237 LCD HDTV is a beautifully slim and light TV that has high quality features for ultimate performance. It comes with HDTV-ready features and lets you enjoy regular TV and display HDTV images from any High-Definition source.

480i/480p

4:3

Regular Price:

$899.99

On Sale: $699.99

After $200.00 instant savings

* 800 (H) x 600 (V) (SVGA) Pixel Resolution

* Standard Aspect Ratio

* 500:1 Contrast Ratio

* 500 cd/m2 Brightness

* 160?(H)/140?(V) Viewing Angle

* Fast 16 ms Response Time

* Digital Comb Filter

* Dual Purpose Stand/Wall Mount Included

* VESA Compatible (100mm x 100mm)

* Built-in bottom speakers with 3 Watts x 2 audio power.

* MTS/SAP Stereo Sound

* Component Video Input (480i/480p)

* S-video and composite Video input

* PC (RGB) Input

* Product Dimensions (With Stand): 48 (W) x 46 (H) x 22 (D) cm

* Product Warranty: 1 Year Parts & Labour

* Product Weight: 8 kg

does this sound good?

Edited by Hanif

I'm not sure what inputs those televisions have, but make sure that they have enough inputs and enough of the right type. Make sure it has an hdmi input. Do you know what type of output a 360 will have? You don't want to end up with an expensive tv that doesn't have enough or the right kind of inputs.

Also, if you don't mind having a projection screen they have great picture and are a lot cheaper than an lcd monitor.

EDTVs aren't actually HD, are they?

586626908[/snapback]

No, they aren't. ED tv's accept the signal but usually only display the image as 480p.

then I'm not sure If this is in your price range, but you might want to check this out. I have the 55" model, and it is flawless. They do take up a little bit more space than a flat panel, and you can't put them on your wall, but they are a lot cheaper per inch of viewable screen size.

Sony Wega 42"

ah...good thing you told me bangbang...I guess the best deal here is the SamSung LNR237

when looking for an HDTV LCD...make sure it is 16:3 right?

hows this?

Insignia 26" Wide Screen Flat-Panel LCD HDTV** (LCDTV26)

Insignia's IS-LCDTV26 26" Widescreen LCD TV is loaded with value-filled features. This TV gives you high definition DVI input, plus 2 high definition component video inputs, allowing you to take advantage of virtually any high def source. Experience home theatre at it finest.

720p, 1080i, 480p/480i

Aspect Ratio 16:9

BestBuy's price: $999.95

Quantity Remaining: 2

Astar 27" Wide Screen Flat-Panel LCD HDTV** (LTV-2701)

The Astar LTV-2701 is manufactured to a higher standard uniting great design and advanced technology. It exhibits an aluminum frame, built-in stereo speakers, classic easy touch buttons, and sophisticated style. Not to mention, it delivers a consistently brilliant image for a unique television experience.

720p/1080i

Aspect Ratio 16:9

Wait, I screwed up.

The Samsung LNR238w are the good ones from Samsung. The 37's are mid ranged, at best. Sorry, I was doing too much at once.

The Insignia sucks, terribly. I work at Best Buy, so I know.

Does a HDTV have to have a HDMI input. Wouldnt a DVI with HDCP be enough for the HDTV signal?

Does a HDTV have to have a HDMI input. Wouldnt a DVI with HDCP be enough for the HDTV signal?

586626984[/snapback]

I think hdmi basically is dvi with audio (?)

It would be able to carry hdtv

You should definitely listen to bangbang. He probably knows what these TVs look like since he is around them all day. Just find one that LOOKS NICE and has the features you will want in the future.

Doh...ok please recommend me a cheap affordable HDTV LCD from www.bestbuy.ca

I would appreciate it

Panasonic 19" Flat-Panel LCD HDTV** (TC19LX50)

Regular Price:

$1,199.99

On Sale: $999.99

After $200.00 instant savings

The Panasonic TC19LX50 LCD TV is perfect for the bedroom, office or kitchen. It features advanced LCD AI Image processing and a Progressive Scan, High Definition Panel to deliver accurate, vivid images even during fast motion. This HDTV ready LCD TV is fully equipped to display high definition images at full resolution.

Purchase service plan

* LCD AI Active Light Control And Active Gamma/Contrast Control Allows For Adjustment In Settings In Real Time

* Full Digital Processing Optimizes Picture Performance By Selecting The Appropriate Circuit Based On Video Signal

* Stereo Sound with DBX Stereo Decoder

* **Requires HDTV Source

1080i/720p

16:9

What about this, bangbang? thank you again

I think hdmi basically is dvi with audio (?)

It would be able to carry hdtv

You should definitely listen to bangbang.  He probably knows what these TVs look like since he is around them all day.  Just find one that LOOKS NICE and has the features you will want in the future.

586626995[/snapback]

Everyone's opinions count and mine are not better than anyone else's. I am, obviously, more than glad to offer my experience when needed, but there are sets that I haven't seen in person that I can only judge based on the tech specs.

Right now, the the LNRxx8w's from Samung and the a10's and xbr's from Sony are the best on the market. Ever since Samsung and Sony opened the factory together, they have started to crank out some awesome LCD tech. Sharp makes good sets also, but none in that size range. They start well at the 26" mark.

Ok, after some research, the Samsung you saw is basically a model down from the 8w. The 7w, is actually a pretty good set as it shares the same software, including the DNIe. I think it would be your best choice.

So, after causing way too much confusion and rushing my posts, these are my final suggestions, in order:

1. http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.a...838&catid=23243

2. http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.a...207&catid=23243

3. http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.a...579&catid=23243

Thanks for you're fast reply! Does BestBuy have a purchase service plan associated with the SamSung LCD TV, in particular? I would like to make monthly payments with no interest, can you tell me how that works? I appreciate you're help, bangbang023!

Thanks for you're fast reply! Does BestBuy have a purchase service plan associated with the SamSung LCD TV, in particular? I would like to make monthly payments with no interest, can you tell me how that works? I appreciate you're help, bangbang023!

586627059[/snapback]

I know, right now, my store is doing monthly payments with no interest (using a best buy credit card) on all TV's $499 and up until January 2008. We originally had it at 18 months, but decided to better compete with Circuit City. They should have something going on in your area. Check out the weekly ad available on the website (you need your postal code so Ican't check for you) and see what it says.