How do you pronounce "BETA"?

I say it 'better'.

I thought it was only americans that pronounced it beater :p

586631459[/snapback]

yeah. sometimes i say bayta while i usually say bet-a

It's true.  We in the UK, who speak proper English :), pronounce it "beater" whereas the Americans pronounce it "beyter".

Unlike the word 'Data' which the UK pronounces "Dayter" and the US pronounces "Darta"... unless you're watching ST: TNG.

Just don't confuse this pronunciation with Feta cheese, which is said "fetta".

I'm going back to bed.  This is all too much.

586631498[/snapback]

Huh? What American pronounces it beyter? We pronounce it bay-tah or bay-tuh. Same with data, we don't add an r to it. We pronounce it either Day-tuh/Day-tah or Dat-uh/Dat-ah.

It's true.  We in the UK, who speak proper English :), pronounce it "beater" whereas the Americans pronounce it "beyter".

Unlike the word 'Data' which the UK pronounces "Dayter" and the US pronounces "Darta"... unless you're watching ST: TNG.

Just don't confuse this pronunciation with Feta cheese, which is said "fetta".

I'm going back to bed.  This is all too much.

586631498[/snapback]

Most Americans don't add "arrr's and rrrr's" where they don't belong in words, that's a northern thing

The people saying "prounounce it like the ENGLISH pronounce it" are ridiculous.  It's a Greek letter.  Saying "beater" is more ridiculous.  Why add a letter that isn't there?  It's like when I was in Korea and a Korean girl tried to pronounce my friend Josh's name.  "Josh-ie?"  It took us forever to get her to stop adding the "ie".

Merriam-Webster's Definition

586631627[/snapback]

Exactly...click the wave at webster.com, that's how I pronounce it

Brit here, i say B - ta

I haven't met anyone who says "Lawr" and i live in east london.

I don't think UK english is any better than US i regard it as in "i speak english, you speak american" as there are some differences on both languages so that's my way of distinguishing them.

I say "Bay-tah" because I also say "Day-ta" and Sony's format was "Bay-ta Max" and movies say "Bay-tah" etc. That's not to say "Bee-tah" is wrong

586631705[/snapback]

I agree. Well put!

:yes:

I'm not english, but I remeber Terry Prattchet writting that "eta beta pi" was pronounced like eat a better pie, so whenever I pronounce it in English I pronounce it as it it osunds in Spanish :laugh:

Some people still dont read. If you're still getting confused why some british are saying "beater", then listen up:

British pronounce the word "beater" like "bee-tuh". The R isn't stressed in English, like it is in American English.

AAAH

I agree. Well put!

:yes:

586632204[/snapback]

Thank you :)