How do you pronounce "BETA"?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Beta

bey-tuh or, especially Brit., bee-

Basically British people like myself would say Beeta, we hold onto the e for a second longer, americans would pronounce it as Bay-ta, Be becomes Ba in american english.

It really depends on how your language has evolved, and its more to do with regional dialect as everyone pronounces certain words or combinations slightly differently, personally i dont think it should matter how you pronounce it as long as the meaning and context in with which you say it are correct.

Totally pointless question really as there is no definitive way to say any word.

Haven't bothered to read the whole thread because frankly there was far too much high-horsery going on, but it's clear a lot of people do not understand the principle of the use of written phonetics. People do not add the "R"s when they pronounce the word, it just makes it easier for us to sound out in our head when we read the phonetical version as typed on screen. I hope that clears things up.

/me get's off his own high horse.

Anyway, when discussing pre-release software, I'm a beater tester, when reading the Greek alphabet phonetically, it's Bayta.

I'm very confused why American's pronounce two very different word structures the same (beta and data both have long AY sounds in the American English when they clearly shouldn't).

bay-tuh

Same, I learned how to say it through my math courses :p And as it Beta is a Latin letter. It's the second Letter, so I assume when something goes into beta they are in the second stages of their project. Trillian Astra Alpha...I suppose they are still in the first stages? o.O Or just wanted to be different from everyone else lol.

Why don't you try it? It clearly states both pronounciations (US or Brit) are correct.

It solves nothing.

I say 'Bay-Tuh'. Never in my life have I heard "Bee-tuh" until today. UK thing. I understand.

I don't like it when people think the world revolves around the UK or US. The only place the world revolves around is the sun.

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source

be?ta (bā'tə, bē'-) Pronunciation Key

n.

1. The second letter of the Greek alphabet. See Table at alphabet.

2. The second item in a series or system of classification.

3. A mathematical measure of the sensitivity of rates of return on a portfolio or a given stock compared with rates of return on the market as a whole. A beta of 1.0 indicates that an asset closely follows the market; a beta greater than 1.0 indicates greater volatility than the market.

4. Physics

1. A beta particle.

2. A beta ray.

3. The second position from a designated carbon atom in an organic molecule at which an atom or a radical may be substituted.

4. An isomeric variation of a chemical compound. Used in combination: beta-estradiol.

5. Chemistry

1. The second position from a designated carbon atom in an organic molecule at which an atom or a radical may be substituted.

2. An isomeric variation of a chemical compound. Used in combination: beta-estradiol.

6.Computer Science>A beta version>.

Maybe you should read the second entry genius.

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source

be?ta (bā'tə, bē'-) Pronunciation Key

<<snip>>

Maybe you should read the second entry genius.

Or maybe you should pay more close attention. The second entry is from theAmerican> Heritage Dictionary.

Any other source on that page tells you clearly that both "Bay-tuh" and "Bee-tuh" are correct.

Genuis.

where do you people get the 'r' from??

Remember, people in the UK pronounce "er" differently.

In the US, we see "rrr", in the UK, they see "uhh"

• 6 years later...