How do you pronounce "BETA"?

AGAIN, Where the HELL are you uk'ers getting this "ER" or "TER" at the end. It's spelt BETA!!!!!!! TA TA TA!!!!!!

jesus christ

586631510[/snapback]

Don't you understand that these "ER" or "TER" are DESCRIBING how its said, how it sounds.

And btw another vote for beater ;)

The people saying "prounounce it like the ENGLISH pronounce it" are ridiculous. It's a Greek letter. Saying "beater" is more ridiculous. Why add a letter that isn't there? It's like when I was in Korea and a Korean girl tried to pronounce my friend Josh's name. "Josh-ie?" It took us forever to get her to stop adding the "ie".

Merriam-Webster's Definition

Edited by Unwonted

greece version, beta

586631584[/snapback]

Exactly, that is the origin of the word after all, the greek letter beta.

Those zany brits and their over-enunciations of vowel.

Have you ever heard some who speaks Queen's English speak Spanish? Side-splitting comedy right there.

It's true.  We in the UK, who speak proper English :), pronounce it "beater" whereas the Americans pronounce it "beyter".

Unlike the word 'Data' which the UK pronounces "Dayter" and the US pronounces "Darta"... unless you're watching ST: TNG.

Just don't confuse this pronunciation with Feta cheese, which is said "fetta".

I'm going back to bed.  This is all too much.

586631498[/snapback]

Huh? What Americans have you been talking to?

AGAIN, Where the HELL are you uk'ers getting this "ER" or "TER" at the end. It's spelt BETA!!!!!!! TA TA TA!!!!!!

jesus christ

586631510[/snapback]

trying to convey pronounciations in text just doesn't work sometimes. because people with pronounce those things differently anyway. to me, there isn't much difference between ter an tah. for example, you could spell better as bettah and i'd say it the same. both are like a "tuh".

i know for example that americans don't rhyme saw and sore, but we do.

the main dfference between the way we say beta is in the first syllable.. bee or bay

trying to convey pronounciations in text just doesn't work sometimes. because people with pronounce those things differently anyway. to me, there isn't much difference between ter an tah. for example, you could spell better as bettah and i'd say it the same. both are like a "tuh".

i know for example that americans don't rhyme saw and sore, but we do.

the main dfference between the way we say beta is in the first syllable.. bee or bay

586631672[/snapback]

so do you say sore like this

ZORRO! LOL sorry i just had to say that

It's true.  We in the UK, who speak proper English :), pronounce it "beater" whereas the Americans pronounce it "beyter".

Unlike the word 'Data' which the UK pronounces "Dayter" and the US pronounces "Darta"... unless you're watching ST: TNG.

Just don't confuse this pronunciation with Feta cheese, which is said "fetta".

I'm going back to bed.  This is all too much.

586631498[/snapback]

Who speak proper English?

Yes, there are those that speak proper English, and there is you. I'm sorry, but if you add the "er" then you're no better than the cockneys who add "R" to Law, Saw to make them Lawr and Sawr. It's highly irritating, not to mention confusing, so please refrain from thinking your way is correct when it's clearly not. Okay? We're good? Thank you.

To clarify things:

English - Bee-tah

American - Bay-tah

I say "Bay-tah" because I also say "Day-ta" and Sony's format was "Bay-ta Max" and movies say "Bay-tah" etc. That's not to say "Bee-tah" is wrong though, so all my British bros are good to go! (In fact, you know you're right, right? :p )

Alot of this A/ER thing come from regional dialect and i dont think its fair to say this is right and you're wrong.

beater

beeta

beta

I would pronounce all those exactly the same, the ter and ta, im sure is pronounced the same by a lot of people.

As for the saw and sore rhyming, well i would say both those words exactly the same!

alpha and beta are both greek letters

they are exactly like A and B in english

the greek way is V TA,as in VEE TA

so i guess the British English one is more accurate compared to the US one

the american way just sounds cooler :p Bayta

Edited by cr3at0r

I'm sorry, but if you add the "er" then you're no better than the cockneys who add "R" to Law, Saw to make them Lawr and Sawr.

586631705[/snapback]

this is the same saw/sore thing.

it's wrong to think we purposely like to add letters like R that aren't there... that's just how we say words ending in aw.... no need to get on your high horse over it!

tbh, the way you say law, to me it sounds like you're adding an r... like, "R" but with an L sound infront. again, this is probably impossible for you to understand because when it comes down to it, we pronounce Rs differently. it's not worth worrying about..

this is the same saw/sore thing.

it's wrong to think we purposely like to add letters like R that aren't there... that's just how we say words ending in aw.... no need to get on your high horse over it!

tbh, the way you say law, to me it sounds like you're adding an r... like, "R" but with an L sound infront. again, this is probably impossible for you to understand because when it comes down to it, we pronounce Rs differently. it's not worth worrying about..

586631727[/snapback]

Who's we? Pikeys?

Because it's only low-class who say "lawr" and "sawr". Everyone else says it how it's supposed to be: "law" and "saw".. L with an aww at the end of it.

The R business is a laughing matter amongst Aristocrats and the like.

For all Americans trying to understand the 'better' thing:

In UK, Better is pronounced Bettuh (say it fast and pronounce the Ts.. no rolling Ts like "water") or if you find it easier - beh-tuh. A lot of the time, the R at the end of a word is made silent (Low-class add the R to other words where it's not needed, but that's a different story). That's how Better = Bettah/Bettuh.