Post YOUR Camera reviews!

Ok well hopefully this doesn't get locked - but I felt that it may help people looking to purchase cameras (SLR/DSLR/Compact - any!). So if you could post a review in the same format as mine (or add your own bit of flare to it) it would be much appreciated by me, and i'm sure many others too!

N.B. If a camera has already been done it does not matter - different people, different opinions keep posting them! :) .

Right - so here i go.

Review: Canon EOS 350D Digital Rebel XT

What I knew before I bought:

When I went to a camera store rather close by to where I live, I'd been influenced by a colleague at work to definately take a look at the Canon EOS 350D. He's what I'd call an extreme amateur photographer! Now the reason I say this is because I'd like to point out that I knew someone who was a bit of a Canon fanboy - however when I went to look at/get my camera my mind was originally set on the Nikon D70.

I knew that Canon was probably the most popular brand, and the cheaper of the two. However this made me think that the Nikon D70 would be better, as I was following the "you pay, for what you get" method. Alas I couldn't have been any wronger :p.

First Impressions:

When I held the light-weight (540grams incl. battery + CF card), and small body. I think I instantly fell in love with the camera. The main reason is because, I have small hands - so for me the Nikon D70 was a rather bulky thing I couldn't place my hands just right on.

Another feature that had me oohed and aahed by the camera was the simple yet highly configurable options accessed through the Menu. I was able to change the ISO, the Format I was shooting in, view histograms of my pictures etc. instantly without reading the manual.

However there was one thing I wasn't really comfortable with, and that was the weight of the camera. In my opinion it's a "bit" too light. For example if you try to attach a large Lens to it, you tend to feel it tipping forward. Whether you're holding it, or have it on a stand - so for this reason you'd have to buy two tripods, a Lens Supporter and a Camera tripod. However this is only for large tele-photo lenses.

The kit lens (18-55mm f1/.8) that came with the camera, wasn't bad - but it's not exactly the best. It's a great lens for just a normal walk-about touristy shot picture, however if you are "serious" about your photography you may want to look into getting either the body by itself, or the kit lens + another. I would highly recommend the latter, as the kit lens is a good spur of the moment lens.

After the first week:

After my first week with the Camera, I had no regrets. I was extremely happy with the choice I'd made, and was still learning the amazing new features on the camera. Reading the manual with this (and any camera I assume), is a must! After having read the manual my pictures thoroughly improved and I felt more confident when going out to a certain location to take pictures, knowing that I wouldn't have a large bad shot to good shot ratio.

However I think at this point, I was really wanting a new lens - however I have still to get it after 3-4 months with my Canon EOS 350D, due to the fact that glass is expensive.

Sample Images:

And He Played

Jewellery Market (Soft Light Lens Filter)

Stand Tall (Soft Light Filter + Sepia Tone )

Architecture Above (Soft Light Filter)

Beyond Natures Fence

Day Break

Summary:

+Good Points:

+ Small and compact

+ Easy enough to use out of the box (however I recommend you read the manual ;)).

+ Superb picture quality (8.2MP)

+ Can shoot in RAW / JPG either seperately or both together

+ Supports high resolution pictures.

-Negative Points:

- A "tad" too light

- No kit bag included

+/- Point:

+/- Kit lens is good, but not ok at the same time .

Personal Rating:

8.5-9/10.

Links:

DPReview - Review

Canon EOS350D - Official Canon Site.

Hope this helped anyone looking to buy a DSLR.

Ian.

Edited by MI6Labs

good thing but first of all, Canon Rebel XT can be compared with Nikon D50 and not the D70 nor D70s

Perhaps, Canon 20D can be compared with Nikon D70(s or not)

The reason why I boughe D50 instead of canon Rebel XT was the size of the body. Both camera compared, the picture is the same and features to features is the same too. The only think is that D50 is using SD card which are cheaper here where I live. I dont know if this is globally worldwide.

my 2 cents

• 2 months later...

ok my very short review of panasonic FZ5

very light and compact great for those with small hand or wanted a lightweight P&S camera with decent amount of mode. 12x zoom was execellent with the mega OIS. 1x macro mode was very clear at a range of 5CM+ claimed by most review website, would be even greater if it have the ability of canon powershot S2 super macro mode at 0CM. Image quality was very good and sharp at 80-200ISO, but at 400ISO its a headache, so i wouldn't recommand for those who like to take wedding or night shot without a tripod. Battery life decent enough to last you through a 512MB card using high quality JPEG and at maximum resolution.

It would be nice if they have a twist LCD screen like powershot S2. No manual focus was another bottleneck, but i believe most of us could do with auto focus. Movie resolution was really far behind most of the modern camera, but i doubt anyone would really use it as a video camera, cause my 512MB card can last for about 15min only :no:

It a good budget camera for those who started to learn photography. The camera come with a len hood and adapter, mini semi-hard case for camera(which i think doesn't looks great :( ) which will save you some money and trouble looking for it, and with a few filter like CPL, MC, UV lens you can start taking picture. Another think i like very much a bout this camera is that it transfer images to the card at a speed faster than most camera of the same price.(4800kbps claimed by DPreview)

ok my very short review of panasonic FZ5

very light and compact great for those with small hand or wanted a lightweight P&S camera with decent amount of mode. 12x zoom was execellent with the mega OIS. 1x macro mode was very clear at a range of 5CM+ claimed by most review website, would be even greater if it have the ability of canon powershot S2 super macro mode at 0CM. Image quality was very good and sharp at 80-200ISO, but at 400ISO its a headache, so i wouldn't recommand for those who like to take wedding or night shot without a tripod. Battery life decent enough to last you through a 512MB card using high quality JPEG and at maximum resolution.

It would be nice if they have a twist LCD screen like powershot S2. No manual focus was another bottleneck, but i believe most of us could do with auto focus. Movie resolution was really far behind most of the modern camera, but i doubt anyone would really use it as a video camera, cause my 512MB card can last for about 15min only :no:

It a good budget camera for those who started to learn photography. The camera come with a len hood and adapter, mini semi-hard case for camera(which i think doesn't looks great :( ) which will save you some money and trouble looking for it, and with a few filter like CPL, MC, UV lens you can start taking picture. Another think i like very much a bout this camera is that it transfer images to the card at a speed faster than most camera of the same price.(4800kbps claimed by DPreview)

ah a quality review from my friend here. we both own Fz5's :D Mine black his silvers.

What i like about this camera that is really light, the ois is excellent. But it doesnt come with a bundled filters like a protective filter, but thats just a minor thing. I bough a CPL and UV filter soon after.

[...]

Hope this helped anyone looking to buy a DSLR.

Ian.

It did actually, i'm seriously looking into a nice DSLR and this was top of my list, followed predictably by the D50.

I will 'try before i buy' but i still have plenty of saving to do.

May I ask how much you got it for?

It did actually, i'm seriously looking into a nice DSLR and this was top of my list, followed predictably by the D50.

I will 'try before i buy' but i still have plenty of saving to do.

May I ask how much you got it for?

I got mine for 800Eur-. and two 1GB Compact Flash cards for 50eur-. each (they were cheap when I bought it :) ).

If you ever take a trip down to holland =P I highly recommend you visit www.foka.nl a shop in rotterdam, the people there are great! And are serious with their photography :]

#EDIT: Direct Link: http://www.foka.nl/pages/detail_v2/s1/1001...0000001820.aspx (it's cheap now damn! ;P).

My Nikon D50 review

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=409071

main points (but read the review)

Pros:

Size/Weight

Value

ISO performance (better then D70s and Canon 350D)

Quality of Pics

Excelent feel to the camera

Clear, sharp display LCD

Cons:

Only 6MP, can be a letdown for 8x10" large prints if you crop a lot like me

No Depth of Field Preview

Cannot use Aperature ring on lens to control aperature (across entire Nikon line)

No Info LCD backlight

No included free software for RAW (NEF)