• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

iCal? What the hell?

Recommended Posts

Dazzla    5

http://mac.com/1/mac_newfeatures.html

A lot of this sort of stuff wil be coming out in the next day or so.

Calendar Publishing

Mac OS X version 10.2 includes iCal, a calendar that lets you create work, personal, and group calendars using separate or integrated views. With .Mac it's easy to publish a calendar to the Internet for your family, your community group, or yourself. Other iCal users can download your calendar and they can even subscribe for automatic updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DigitalDJ    0

basically they are ripping off MSN Services..MSN Callendar, MSN Messenger, MSN Photos..but the look better ;)

do AOL own Mac or sumthing? if they dont..maybe i think theyll get taken over

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BroChaos    1

hey why not? the more software the better, i think. macworld starts today, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dazzla    5
Originally posted by BroChaos

hey why not? the more software the better, i think. macworld starts today, right?

Yep, and indeed the more software the better. Apple will get teh $50 dollars out of me cause it's a not a bad deal, but if they don't add anything worthwhile, they won't be getting $100 out of me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bling3k12    1

i'd rather use a service by apple than one by MSN... i hate all of MSN's services... all slow and full of freakin advertisements...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bling3k12    1

plus, iCal is a full application... not just an internet service like MSN Calendar... they can sync it with the .mac service so you can use it on the web if you would like...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tesseract    0

well they do put an "i" in front of everything now don't they?

what's next? changing the name of their OS to iOS?...hehehe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DigitalDJ    0
Originally posted by codyg11

well they do put an "i" in front of everything now don't they?

what's next? changing the name of their OS to iOS?...hehehe

LOL...its weird...Compaq's Pocket PC is an 'i'Paq..i thaught it was Mac wen somebody mensioned it to me...but hey ...compaq is practically gone...its takenover by HP now :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
superrcat    0
Originally posted by DigitalDJ

basically they are ripping off MSN Services..MSN Callendar, MSN Messenger, MSN Photos..but the look better ;)

do AOL own Mac or sumthing? if they dont..maybe i think theyll get taken over

They are not ripping off anything. It is not an online service, it is a program you install that imports data from various calendar sources. You can post your information online if you have a .mac membership or a WebDAV server.

You can't compare iCal to that POS MSN Calendar. MSN Calendar is only web based and has nothing related with iCal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paulstorm    1

Interesting! Looks cool. We'll see how it runs.

I think you can easily compare .mac to MSN 8. Both provide a slew of similar services (more storage space, photo space, email anti-viral scanner etc), and take advantage of the power (in microsoft terms: "richness") of a desktop machine.

The MSN 8 Calendar blows the web-based version away. I like it better than Outlook's calendar application.

Apple has had the iDisk service in place for awhile...while the MSN Communications team is still working on their unified storage platform. Still got another year to wait for Microsoft's hard drive in the sky to be released.

At any rate, it looks like the .mac service ($99/yr) will be cheaper than a year-long MSN 8 BYOA subscription.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sailgreg    0
Originally posted by superrcat

They are not ripping off anything. It is not an online service, it is a program you install that imports data from various calendar sources. You can post your information online if you have a .mac membership or a WebDAV server.

You can't compare iCal to that POS MSN Calendar. MSN Calendar is only web based and has nothing related with iCal.

Yeah, all the MSN Stuff Sucks really bad :)

I only use MSN Mesenger Because it is better then AIM :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wickedkitten    12
Originally posted by DigitalDJ

basically they are ripping off MSN Services..MSN Callendar, MSN Messenger, MSN Photos..but the look better ;)

do AOL own Mac or sumthing? if they dont..maybe i think theyll get taken over

when msn calendar syncs with bluetooth devices let me know alright?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paulstorm    1
Originally posted by Wickedkitten

when msn calendar syncs with bluetooth devices let me know alright?

Do Bluetooth-enabled Pocket PCs count?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
atomoverride    0

Dont you guys think its kinda funny that first micrsoft is all .NET then mac comes along and says .MAC ?? It does seem like they are coping micrsoft. Makes you think....at the very least.

And now in their switch ads they have some doped up girl doing ads?

indexellenover07162002.jpg Kinda makes you think.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
superrcat    0
Originally posted by Trade Wind

Do Bluetooth-enabled Pocket PCs count?

Why spend the money and time including Pocket PCs when Palms are used by 87% of the US market?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wickedkitten    12
Originally posted by Trade Wind

Do Bluetooth-enabled Pocket PCs count?

If they synced instead of importing sure, since they import instead of syncing no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
atomoverride    0
Originally posted by superrcat

Why spend the money and time including Pocket PCs when Palms are used by 87% of the US market?

I dont know where you get your numbers, but I use pocketpc ever since my palm3c couldnt cut it and was slow as hell. I like an OS that upgrades ever so offen not once every 3 years. I like all the ADD ons availble for pocketpc. I like doing instant messaging via my pocketpc, can palm do that? and even if it could its too damn slow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
superrcat    0
Originally posted by atomoverride

Dont you guys think its kinda funny that first micrsoft is all .NET then mac comes along and says .MAC ?? It does seem like they are coping micrsoft. Makes you think....at the very least.

And now in their switch ads they have some doped up girl doing ads?

indexellenover07162002.jpg Kinda makes you think.....

What makes you think even more is Microsoft, with 95% market share of Desktop PCs announced .NET Services 2 years ago and has little to nothing tangible to show for it.

And a company with 5% market share delivers something at their announcement of .mac and has many tangible services available TODAY, not.."in the future"

Kinda makes you think...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
superrcat    0
Originally posted by atomoverride

I dont know where you get your numbers, but I use pocketpc ever since my palm3c couldnt cut it and was slow as hell. I like an OS that upgrades ever so offen not once every 3 years. I like all the ADD ons availble for pocketpc. I like doing instant messaging via my pocketpc, can palm do that? and even if it could its too damn slow.

http://www.palmos.com/about/news/2002/051302.html

Yeah, Instant messaging is on the Palm (AIM). ADD ons? Try 13,000 applications for Palm OS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.