Keynote round-up

Well, I'm watching the keynote, here's some key features. Post them all in this thread.

.Mac

$99 a year charge, $49 for existing users. 100mb space, iCal integration, 15mb mail, IMAP, POP and webmail access. Backup softare, Mcafee virus protection.

Jaguar

$129 upgrade, $20 shipping to new users from today. No mention of existing users free upgrade coupons.

Rendezvous

Very sweet demonstration, they demostrated rendezvous with iTunes first. They had Steve on the dektop and Phil on powerbook, When Phil brought the powerbook out of sleep, his playlists in iTunes appeared in the playlist colum on Steves desktop automatically. He could then live stream the music.

As soon as it was put back to sleep, the music stopped playing.

Bluetooth and Address book

I thought this was pretty cool as well, he had a bluetooth capable phone and computer, he opened Adress book and selected a phone number to dial, the Mac dialed the person automatically. Even better, when the bluetooth phone was rung, it appeared on the Mac and he could send him a SMS message automatically.

iChat

The usual demonstration, messaging, file transfer and rendezvous chat.

iCal

He demonstrated multiple calanders, instant publishing of calenders to the net. Sharing of calanders was also demonstrated. Integration with new iPod as well with the new software.

Quicktime 6

They demonstrated the AAc coding first with AIFF uncompressed audio. Played them simultanously and switched, couldn't tell any audible difference. Same with the Mpeg-2 and Mpeg-4 comparison. Instant on streaming also demonstrated. He streamed a high def music video and it acted like a local file, jumping to varous points int eh video etc.

Sherlock 3

This was quite cool, he demonstrated movie listings where it showe times, previews, posters etc. Also the search function on Yellow pages. He entered "Sushi" and his post code, it came up with a list of restaurants, directions to get there, maps everything.

iTunes 3

Biggest addition is smart playlists, the ability to add rules to playlists like "25 most played songs" and it will automatically add your 25 most played songs. It gets this from the new playcount feature. No mention of AAC encoding built in.

iPod

Holy crap!!!! iPods for windows!!!! Made in conjunction with Musicmatch software. It will sync with that, there will be no iTunes for windows. New sizes for iPod as well 5gb ($299), 10gb ($399) and new 20gb ($499). New accessories for iPods, case, remote etc. Existing users can get teh pack for $30.

NEW APP, iSync

Works with Palm, iPod etc with calanders, contacts, GPRS phones, Bluetooth phones. It will store all data on your computer and sync automatically with whatever you choose, Palm, iPod or phone. Synced with a bluetooth phone live and showed iSync (another generic metal app) and he transferred all the contacts, calenders etc. Then showed that all the information was on his phone and dialled someone.

Chairman of Sony-Ericsson spoke about iSync and future phones by them (albeit in broken English)

More updates as the keynote happens

Originally posted by unspec

There should have been an "official" keynote thread.

:cheeky:

Damn duplication

--

unspec

This is it now :evil:

It's getting a bit boring atm, it was pretty exciting at the start when he was showing off rendezvous chat and printing and stuff, but now it's some bloke from singular communications babbling on.

I think an "iWalk" device is looking unlikely now....

The new iPods sound nice though.

Does anyone else thing the MusicMatch software is the punishment for not hooking one up to a Mac?

--

unspec

damn, those are some sweet announcements.

haha, yeah, musicmatch is not my fave :p

iTunes -> musicmatch.... they must've been smoking something when they thought of that one. it's like going from a porsche to a broken down ford or something.

15 inch to 17 inch display on iMac

--

unspec

:o :o

I can't view the damn thing, I'm so ****ed off, what's happened

More details

Originally posted by Dazzla

Are all models upgraded to GF4mx?

Any other changes to existing models?

nm:

www.apple.com

I believe it's only the 17in with the gf4mx card. Looks like Think Secret was spot on.......lets hope their right about the powermac announcement in august too

It seems like it wasn't a rotating screen lol. Just the astandard arm the 15" one comes with :)

Still, it looks a lot nicer with the widescreen form IMO.

--

unspec

Originally posted by FlyerXL

I believe it's only the 17in with the gf4mx card. Looks like Think Secret was spot on.......lets hope their right about the powermac announcement in august too

Yeah, all apple pages have been updated to reflect the keynote. iMacs, iPods, Jag etc.

Downloading iTunes 3 now, checking out the .Mac stuff as well. I've got 6 iDisk accounts so I'm backing all that up and just keeping the dazzla one. I'll sign up to that in the next few days.

No price announced for the Euopean market for .Mac, it better not be a direct $-? converion or I'm gonna be ****ed.

Yeah, all apple pages have been updated to reflect the keynote. iMacs, iPods, Jag etc.

Downloading iTunes 3 now, checking out the .Mac stuff as well. I've got 6 iDisk accounts so I'm backing all that up and just keeping the dazzla one. I'll sign up to that in the next few days.

No price announced for the Euopean market for .Mac, it better not be a direct $-? converion or I'm gonna be ****ed. >

Dazzla, what do you think of Jaguar being full price?

Originally posted by FlyerXL

Dazzla, what do you think of Jaguar being full price?

Considering the tonnes of new features it's reasonable. $99 would have been better though.

I would be perfectly willing to pay it, but I have upgrade coupons for Jag which I got with my Mac so it wont be full price for me.

And if you think of all the effort gone into this it's immense. All the new technologies being integrated and indeed created like rendezvous. Bluetooth integration, tonnes of new apps, iChat, iCal, iSync etc. There is a hell of an upgrade here, more so then Windows 2000 - Windows XP I would say.

I would be perfectly willing to pay it, but I have upgrade coupons for Jag which I got with my Mac so it wont be full price for me.

Daz, when did you purchase yours? My brother just got his a month ago and I'm not sure I saw a coupon in there...I don't think he'll be happy with $129 this soon.

Hmm, looks like Apple is sort of mimicking Microsoft in that there releasing OS 10.2 at full price. Now will Mac users stop laughing at us PC users when they say that microsoft releases a new OS every year?

It seems like it wasn't a rotating screen lol. Just the astandard arm the 15" one comes with :)

Still, it looks a lot nicer with the widescreen form IMO.

--

unspec

Yeh, I agree, it does make it look alot better :)

Originally posted by havyn

Daz, when did you purchase yours? My brother just got his a month ago and I'm not sure I saw a coupon in there...I don't think he'll be happy with $129 this soon.

I bought mine in April this year. There should be a little welcome pack in a plastic covering, it has setup, etc in it warranty details. There is one sheet which says "important" and has "Apple Software Proof-of-Purchase Coupons" written on it. I have 3.

To upgrade straight to jag (probably $20) it has to say Mac OS X 10.1 on it, not 10.

Although that won't be a problem for your brother cause his is only a month old.