• 25 30
    • 30 - 35
    • 35 - 40
    • 40 - 45
    • 45-59
    • 50+

Just ciurous, I can say mine from the GUI setup to the reboot is 10 mins

after saying mine takes 10 mins, someone was quoted as saying

Lol, you are plain, plum, blatantly outright lying. sorry.

I install windows almost every day - so i know how long it takes. In fact I just installed Windows XP on a 3800+ machine with a 52X CDRW (which is still the fastest you can get) drive and it took 45~ minutes. So unless you are running some kind of alien unreleased technology, what you are describing is both absurd and impossible.

so I thought, Poll time!

Edited by warwagon

Just ciurous, I can say mine from the GUI setup to the reboot is 10 mins

after saying mine takes 10 mins, someone was quoted as saying

so I thought, Poll time!

586644669[/snapback]

Heh I'm not gonna be quite as rude as the other guy - but i dont actually believe you either... seems pretty intense you can do a full windows install in 10mins... wanna make a video of that? :)

my system disks are 10kRPM Raptors on both machines and both machines are full SATA systems... so... maybe I just suck... I'm gonna time myself next time... interesting :)

I've noticed that xp install time can vary greatly, but there are 2 things you can do to greatly decrease the install time. First, you can copy the install files to a separate partition than you plan to install windows to (or the same one if you don't format it) and run the install from the hard drive. Secondly, you can use nLite to greatly reduce the amount of crap that comes with windows that you never use. Generally a full XP install from a CD takes an average of 30 min, varying slightly on the system configuration, but I rarely do that anymore. I tend to install windows frequently and with all the crap weeded out it takes less than 10 minutes.

note: the fastest way to speed up an install without getting rid of things you might actually need is to just get rid of all the excess drivers for things you don't need. Copying drivers that are essentially useless in most cases take the most time, I think. I keep some wireless drivers because I use bluetooth and I keep the scsi drivers for daemon tools, pretty much everything else goes.

At least 30 minutes.

But after installation, I will do a lot of tuning, such as removing themes, background pictures...etc, and install SPs, patches, software...

Whole installation takes me at least 3 to 4 hours.

No idea how long mine takes but my Windows drive is a pair of 15,000 rpm SCSI drives in RAID0. It definitely isn't 0-7 minutes, that much I do know. Maybe next time I reinstall I'll keep rough tabs on it but I would estimate somewhere in the region of 10 to 15 minutes.

Edit: Just seen that you mention from the GUI setup as opposed to the DOS-based setup so I've got even less of an idea now :) It's not long anyway, not that I sit and watch it.