Is the whole point of HDTV...

jamesp

So that you can have like 40'', 60'' screens without losing quality? Say for the average (cheapo) guy who doesn't want (can't afford) anything bigger than a 21'' TV (normal 4 year old TV) blah blah...

You don't get 21'' HDTV's do you?

Is is all about size? I don't think I'd ever have a 42'' TV in my room...so would I ever need a HDTV?

This post is poorly written, I'm hungover, forgive me. :pinch:

Sn00pY

i have a 42" Plasma TV in my bed room.. :)

trust me you'll love it !

Scraggles

I've got a 60" HDTV and I'm extremely disappointed in it. I've noticed some jagged edges here and there that wouldn't normally be there if it wasn't a widescreen. However, it was a gift from my gf, so I can't complain. Personally though, if I bought it, and saw this, I would have returned it the same day.

bring a DVD/Xbox or something to the store before buying the tv you want. If they perform to your expectations, get it.

icecaveman

Big TVs always look bad no matter what technology they use, DVDs for example should not be watched on larger than 32" screens, they look horrible, yet these non-hd screens are popular. I personally would go for a 32" 720p TV, it's much better to have high quality small screen than low quality big screen

bangbang023

No, it's not the point. There are 20" LCD HDTV monitors out there. However, most companies are figuring that, right now, most people who can afford HD are going to be looking at bigger sets, so they aren't putting out too many smaller ones.

bangbang023
That's a shame. I'd much rather have a super crisp 20'' TV than a big 40'' one.

586646753[/snapback]

You'd be surprised how sharp the pictures on flat panel sets 37" and above can be.

jamesp
No, it's not the point. There are 20" LCD HDTV monitors out there. However, most companies are figuring that, right now, most people who can afford HD are going to be looking at bigger sets, so they aren't putting out too many smaller ones.

586646744[/snapback]

That's a shame. I'd much rather have a super crisp 20'' TV than a big 40'' one.

Inertia
Big TVs always look bad no matter what technology they use, DVDs for example should not be watched on larger than 32" screens, they look horrible, yet these non-hd screens are popular. I personally would go for a 32" 720p TV, it's much better to have high quality small screen than low quality big screen

586646730[/snapback]

IMO you have a point, but only if you sit about 1 foot away from your screen, a bigger screen will look worse.

The whole idea of a larger screen is that you can have it in a large room and sit soem distance from it, and therefore more people can enjoy it at once.

A DVD on say a 50" from 2-3 meters looks just as good as it would on a 32" screen from 1 meter. However if you are in a small room and end up close to the screen , a smaller screen is the obvious choice.

Roger H.

you've gotta be kidding me? either your guys tvs aren't calibrated or something. Get ISF to come out (costs about $1000 tho) and properly tune the tv (or get the video essentials disc) and you'll see that puppy shine. Before bigger screens were just that, BIG SCREENS. Now with HDTV you can't watch it on a 20" or 32" and appreciate it. I'm sure you don't see jaggies when you go to the movies. You can't get a 60" and sit 5FT from it, that's not the point. If all you got is 5FT of room then yeah a 20" will work better for ya. You should sit atleast 2X the diagonal distance from the TV. So if you got a 50" you should sit atleast 100"s away which is about 9FT.

And also, watching SD on a HD will only show you how bad the SD channel is. Watch something like DiscoveryHD channel or sports (no not FOX on saturday's cuz that's only SD Widecreen no real HD) and you'll get the full scope. 720P is great and all but watch some 1080i shows and you'll see colors you didn't think existed.

jamesp
You'd be surprised how sharp the pictures on flat panel sets 37" and above can be.

586646758[/snapback]

What TV do you have?

kramitman_87

ok hd tv is about 6 times sharper than standard televsion as well as being a much higher resolution picture. the downfall is that you are going to need to pay more monthly unless you buy a tv with an atsc turner built in. in this case you can just buy an over the air antenna and use that to gain your high definition quality pictures. if your tv does not have an atsc tuner built in then you need to get one from your television provider. also as of right now there are only about 15-20 channels that are simulcasting hd quality pictures but i have been told that by the end of 2006 all channels must be raocasting both hd and non-hd pictures. i hope this kinda helps you out

btw i work at best buy in home theater....so if u have any more questions just ask

mark

+BudMan
You don't get 21'' HDTV's do you?

586646683[/snapback]

Sure you can - there are many models 21 and below that are HDTV-ready.. IE they can accept a HD input..

Normally the smaller sizes do not have the HD tuner builtin.. but that does not mean they can not display a HD picture..

Example;

post-14624-1128867968.png

Most every maker I can think of produces atleast a 17" HD ready models - their might be smaller.. Resolution does not have alot to do with overall screen size.. It has to do with pixels, ie 1080I = 1920x1080, 720i or p = 1280x720, etc.. Sure the picture might look better on a 30" vs a 120" = but the size of the screen really has nothing to do with the resolution its displaying.

HDTV is high-resolution digital television (DTV) vs the normal analog TV your use too.. Your analog TV signal in the U.S. has 525 scan lines for the image.. With HD your talking 720 or 1080 lines.. Big difference in the picture quality!

Roger H.

Well being from best buy i guess you would think that. Mostly best buy sells satalite stuff which yes you gotta pay more for. People with cable companies tho don't have to pay anything extra.. just swap the box. And are there any TVs with an ATSC turner? I thought it was maybe QAM but you'd have to buy a ATSC turner box. I am asking, not stating.

And you have that end of 2006 thing wrong. The FCC has mandated that by the end of 2006 (subject to change, it has about 5 times already) that all transmissions go Digital, nothing about HD. Digital is the only requirement as as most people have cable or satalite already this wont be a big change for say 60% of the population. It's the rest that still receive OTA broadcasts via "Rabbit-ears" or roof mounted antenna's will have to upgrade or get a converter box.

bangbang023
What TV do you have?

586646774[/snapback]

I can't afford them but work with them so I know how good or bad they can be.

ok hd tv is about 6 times sharper than standard televsion as well as being a much higher resolution picture.  the downfall is that you are going to need to pay more monthly unless you buy a tv with an atsc turner built in.  in this case you can just buy an over the air antenna and use that to gain your high definition quality pictures.  if your tv does not have an atsc tuner built in then you need to get one from your television provider.  also as of right now there are only about 15-20 channels that are simulcasting hd quality pictures but i have been told that by the end of 2006 all channels must be raocasting both hd and non-hd pictures.  i hope this kinda helps you out

btw i work at best buy in home theater....so if u have any more questions just ask

mark

586646787[/snapback]

Digital Cable doesn't charge any extra for HD. If I got an HD TV, I could walk down to Cablevisions walk in center, swap out my box and get my HD. You pay for the channels as part of your regualt digital subscrription.

Radium

HDTV = High Definition Television

jamesp
HDTV = High Definition Television

586646839[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the input guys. It can be damn confusing...

bangbang023
HDTV is high-resolution digital television (DTV) vs the normal analog TV your use too.. Your analog TV signal in the U.S. has 525 scan lines for the image.. With HD your talking 720 or 1080 lines.. Big difference in the picture quality!

586646819[/snapback]

Actually, NTSC uses 480 of the available 525 and it's interlaced meaning only 240 active at a time.

Joel
I've got a 60" HDTV and I'm extremely disappointed in it. I've noticed some jagged edges here and there that wouldn't normally be there if it wasn't a widescreen.

586646709[/snapback]

Dial your sharpness down and look again. No joke. The single biggest mistake people make on any television is to crank up the sharpness. Then they get a small ghosting effect and can't figure out why.