Svideo or Component?

if your tv is HD use component. if not it doesn't really matter too much. but as long as the component input is there you might as well use it. s-video sucks in comparison to component cables.

nexus you must be thinking of composite not component.

use component then for sure, and enable progressive scan on your dvd player if possible.

586649166[/snapback]

indeed, I am going to do that today when I go and get some movies set up and all that jazz.

btw, could I use the composite cables for now until I get some real component cables tuesday?

yeah you can, but it's not going to look too good. also, you can't enable progressive scan until you have the component cables.

586649195[/snapback]

ok I'll stick to Svideo for now.

btw, could I use the composite cables for now until I get some real component cables tuesday?

NO! You must not! If you do, you will infect your TV with the dreaded :o C.VIRUS_TV.

DON'T DO IT, MAN! :no:

indeed, I am going to do that today when I go and get some movies set up and all that jazz.

586649182[/snapback]

It won't look as good, but it's not going to blow up if you use composite until you get the component cables :p

it is a hitachi 51" HDTV, I dont know if its 720 or 1080 though

Mostly likely 720. There is barely any 1080 sets on the market now, the most prevailent are the Sony's which just are starting to trickle out and cost a whole bunch.

yeah you can, but it's not going to look too good. also, you can't enable progressive scan until you have the component cables.

You CAN enable it, and it actually helps even if it's hooked up on a crappy TV set with composite cables when you do DVD backups or (cough) copied movies and it starts to stutter or get stuck. It helps read ahead and buffer more probably because without it on, even if it does nothing to the video quality, it keeps my movies from getting stuck and unwatchable.

But ya, it won't do nothing to the quality unless you have the component cables.

NO!? You must not!? If you do, you will infect your TV with the dreade:o:o?  C.VIRUS_TV.

DON'T DO IT, MAN!:no::no:

586649197[/snapback]

Is this a failed attempt at teh funnay?