DIY OHP vs LCD DLP Projector

At first when I saw a guide on how to do the Over head projector with an lcd I figured $300? or less yea I will do it and now I have a 15" LCD 1024x768 in my garage and I am trying to cancel my order of a 3m 9700 projector and I will be taking back my 15" to walmart

OHP Pros: bulbs cost $10

around $300 to build

OHP Cons: Can be loud

Will be bulky with a lot of leaking light

bulbs go out every 40-50hrs

The reason is that I found some projectors

Proxima ULTRALIGHT X350

XGA Projector 1024x768

1100 Lumens

and it is a lil over $500 and it is very small and offers same resolution with less hassle.

Cons: Does not support HDTV

Bulbs cost $319

1100 lumens could be brighter

Contrast ratio 500:1

Lamp life 2000hrs

OR

Infocus X1(ScreenPlay 4800)

Cost a lil over $500

Cons: 800x600 native

1100 lumen

Cost $270

Pros: supports HDTV, EDTV

Contrast Ratio 2000:1

Lamp life 4000hrs

And here is my issue now, how can Infocus X1 support HDTV and the rest when its resolution is too low to support a 1080x768 resolution? Given not even Proxima supports the inputs for HDTV but it also has additional resolution....guess I have to ask myself is it worth using my comp on 1024x768? and projecting higher res movies playing off of it or skip the hassle and just do it straight from the actual hardware(dvd player, game consoles). That and even my capture card will downgrade any high resolution video sources.

I expect to use it some for my comp but mostly for games and videos. Considering that most of what I watch is lower than both it does not really matter, but I would like to go into the next generation of video without taking a hit with the buyng decision of today.

here I wrote it this entire thing to get yalls opinion and I think I have already pretty much just talked myself into the Infocus X1

Edited by Deciever

Forget the X1, get the 4805.

It "supports" HDTV, but does not display it in native res. it downsamples, but still looks superb. I have a 96" widescreen and it is fraking amazing.

go to www.projectorcentral.com for more info

hmm that does seem to meet my requirements, except for the over $600 part....... cheapest I can find it is $670 and if the bulb goes out shortly after I get it, I may end up with a brick for a few months before I can afford to replace it. The cheapest bulb is $300.

....dang by far that is probably the best deal..... I was already looking at spending $300 for the OHP project... not expecting to go up another $670..... and after shipping $700 for sure.....so that is an additional $400 and if the bulb goes out shortly then tack on another $300 maybe $350 for shipping. so that would be $1,050 at max that it could possibly excellate too....

I may just keep my eyes open for a lil while longer, I really don't want to end up paying a grand before it is all over >_<

trance how often do you replace your bulb? aka goes out?

damn it I am so confused, after reading a review saying if your think about saving for a 60" HDTV get a 4805 with a bigger picutre instead and knowing my bank account won't reach that 60" hdtv for a looong while...... maybe I cannot resist....

Edited by Deciever

trance how often do you replace your bulb? aka goes out?

586650296[/snapback]

I have had mine since Jan 2005... my bulb is at 962 hours, and haven't had to replace it. I am running it in econo mode, and with the firmware 1.13 update, it takes the bulb life to 4000 hours. Now, assuming that is a lie and the life is only 3000 hours, the bulb should last me 2.5-3 years.

yes, the bulb is expensive, but considering the size (of the unit and the screen) and quality and the cost of the projector itself, the bulb cost is worth it.

I also built my screen for under $50, and I highly recommend not using the wall, or buying an overpriced screen.

Also, the projector is ceiling mounted, right above my head, and i barely ever hear it. HD widescreen is amazing on it. I even have a 1080i upsampling DVD player and my gawd it is great.

It is better than any store bought big screen TV I have ever seen, and for the cost, you can't go wrong.

If you would like to know more, I will do my best to answer...

thanks a lot, after much debate with my wallet and bank account I think I can make this happen =)

So what did you use to build what you project on and at what deminsions have you projected it? at the specs I read 108"(9 feet) is the biggest it projects, but does image qaulity take a big hit at some point of making it too big?

Also it'd be great to show off at lan parties. And very portable vs the equivilant tv.

Edited by Deciever

thanks a lot, after much debate with my wallet and bank account I think I can make this happen =)

So what did you use to build what you project on and at what deminsions have you projected it? at the specs I read 108"(9 feet) is the biggest it projects, but does image qaulity take a big hit at some point of making it too big?

Also it'd be great to show off at lan parties. And very portable vs the equivilant tv.

586650353[/snapback]

I made a 96" diagonal widescreen wooden frame from 3X1 pine. make sure you use a diagonal brace.

I chose this size for a number of reasons... perfect size for my wall, and because in the 16:9 format that made the vertical size of the frame about 44".

Now, go to any fabric store, and as for "blackout cloth". You should find the 4" (48") rolls. Get 9 ft" of it. And then stretch the fabric over the screen like a painters canvas (google how to do this, it is very specific). I suggest getting a powered staple gun, makes life much easier.

The blackout cloth is basically the stuff as in profressional screens, but much cheaper and cheaper to replace if it tears.

Then just affix the screen to the wall. You *can* put a black velvet border around the edge, but I didn't bother. Looks superb without it.

My sis payed 7 grand for a 70" widescreen, and she said hers doesn't even compare to mine. And if I ever have to move, it is very simple... I can always build a new screen (so cheap) and just grab the projector.

I also have a 7.1 sound setup... and lemme tell you, XBOX (360) looks amazing.

What about the 750 ANSI lumens, isn't that lighting very low for a projector? I thought for a projector to be even watchable under light you had to atleast have 1000 if not 1500 lumen?

I believe that is my last question before making the purchase

I will admit, if you have lots of light in the room, that will be a major issue. It is best to be in a light controlled room. However, I even have a floor lamp going in the background (at night) and it is very bright. I can watch during the day as long as the blinds are drawn. The smaller you make the image the better the lumen will be utilized.

However, to counter all of this, I challenge that the use of a setup like this should not be as a regular TV to watch all the time, but for movies/gaming/HD where you want the ambience.

It can handle some light in the room, but not full on day brightness. But there are very few projectors that can handle full on day brightness anyways, and the ones you find will be well over 7 grand.

well thanks for all the info, it really did help, even though it did hurt my shallow pockets. I originally only wanted to spend $300 for a DIY then it escalated to $525 for a real one due to ease of use(no need for my computers capture card) and portability and a lot less noise. Then you convinced me to go to the 4805 which rings in $700 + $50 inflated UPS ground. But it is BRAND new with a 1 year warranty through manufacturer. I have to admit I do not fully trust the merchant I am purchasing it from but I am willing to risk it and I called them to verify they are not sticking me with a refurbish which I was going to get from somewhere else for $670 with $34 shipping overnight. So I am paying $41 more to get it brand new however if the price difference was greater than say $60-80 I probably would have stuck with the refurbished.

Do you have any screenshots of yours and anyone elses? I am having a hard time finding them. I found one yesterday but I do not remember where it was.

Do NOT purchase anything from http://www.worldclassplasmas.com/ they will inflate your low cost items shipping to make up for any price difference between other online retailers and most importantly they are passing off REFURBISHED units as BRAND NEW. Like brand new maybe but they are most definitly not BRAND NEW nor factory sealed.

STAY AWAY with a 100^10 foot rod.

So I canceled that brand new $700 projector 4805 with $50 shipping and another $50 for shipping insurance(hidden cost, their site omits but then they call you to verify everything and then they try and rip you off personally over the phone).(shipping insurance does not cost that much for a $150 motherboard it only cost me $5 so I would expect $20 maybe $30). So then the price ballooned to $802 and he said "well these units were sent back to the manufacturer from closeout sells and were inspected and put in a box called Recertified but they are brand new, not refurbished" lol umm yea right. If the boxes were never open to begin with at the store infocus is not going to open them up to play doctor. It would cost them more money to RE-inspect their goods then selling it back to the consumer, than it would taking them back on a warranty basis.

On top of everything else worldclasplasma tv asked if I wanted a $249 warranty and I said no I am sure then he said well would you be interested if I could sell it to you for less? and I said no but he told me anyways which was $199 and said and this thing will even cover the bulb if it goes out (mind you this is like 2 year warranty) chances are the bulb will go out right after 2 years and no warranty in their right mind will cover a part that is meant and they KNOW will go out. And he said the bulbs costs around $149 and I told him umm no sir for this unit it cost around $300.....He said oh well that is retail price. After all that and mainly the $100 shipping cost for UPS ground 7-10 days that sent me over the edge and told him if this was the case(shipping and brand new refurbished BS) Cancel my order and that was that.

Don't worry though trance I re-ordered it as refurbished from a reputable place that will ship it to me over night and all for the mere total of $709. (and shipping overnight was only $34 UPS vs $24 for 7-10 days)

There are very few online places I trust, and that place wasn't one of them.

I promise, you won't be disappointed.

Oh, and don't forget to download the 1.13 firmware, if it doesn't have it already. it helps the ability to sync 1080i over component better.

well to update this thread, I will have the 4805 in tomorrow. I ordered from perstigecamera.com and it was $670 refurbished but yes there was a catch. They weren't much better than worldclassplasma.com but I was just fed up with it and didn't want to go through the hassle of goin else where and redoing this a 3rd time.

1) they need you to call them to authorize the order

1R) ok I can deal with that

2) They try and up sale when you call them to authorize(why do you think their prices are so low?)

2R) When I said I wanted no ceiling mount I meant it but the guy hammered me on it for like 10 minutes and caused me to be late to my college algebra class

3) They will try and sell you a 3 to 5 year warranty

3R) $179.99 for 3yrs and additional $80 for 5, he claims also that the warranty will cover the bulb TWO times if it goes out, and I asked even if it meets 3,000-4,000 life expentancy and he said yes. Also claimed the $300 bulb cost $500(at least he was smarter than worldclassplasma who said $150). On top of that he says if I have any problems with it someone will come out to my house for free to fix it. Labor and parts for 3 years. So I said ok

4) Your total comes to $940........

4)wtf, so I told him to take off the 3 year but then he haggles with me and says since I am a 1st time customer he could go ahead and give me 4yrs(I had mentioned with the amount I use it, it will prossibly last 3 yrs anyways), still hesitant....and finally said ok to it

4R2) Also I asked him to run everything down for me and their prices because I knew that sounded like to much even with that and to find out they tacked on an additional $68 for shipping insurance.

Overall I am dissatisfied by them but even if I was to order from somewhere else with a more reasonable shipping price the price of the product would also be higher to make up the price difference.

I called them back just now because I notice on their site they say they have mack warranties and he did not say I purchased a mack warranty because if he did I would have said no due to the fact those warranties DO NOT have to be purchased at the time of purchase only within 30 days nor do they have to be purchased by the same company you are buying your product. He however lead me to believe it HAD to be purchased right then and there and DID NOT tell me it was a mack warranty, so I will have to call them tomorrow to talk to the guy that sold it to me. I found the same mack warranty from else where for $129.99 vs their $179.99. Basicly I may tell them that I will not accept the package when it comes in unless you charge me the correct price.

At least the projector should make me happy.

Edited by Deciever

Man, I am so sorry you had such a hard time of it. When I got mine, I got it brand new from ebay (in jan mind you) for 800+30 shipping. Then I built my own mount. No need to haggle, just pay the amount. That whole calling to authorize is such BS.

These are the times you don't want to have the personal touch, cause it feels like you have had your ass beaten with a cricket bat.

Anyways, it will be worth it.

Remember, if nothing goes wrong in the first year, it is unlikely anything will, but clean out the filter often just to prolong the life. And remember, people are going to be seriously jealous of the size and clarity and no glare from reflection, and... an almost zero footprint.

When you are mounting it, make sure it is unzoomed when you are measuring for the best spot.

Man, I am so sorry you had such a hard time of it. When I got mine, I got it brand new from ebay (in jan mind you) for 800+30 shipping. Then I built my own mount. No need to haggle, just pay the amount. That whole calling to authorize is such BS.

These are the times you don't want to have the personal touch, cause it feels like you have had your ass beaten with a cricket bat.

Anyways, it will be worth it.

Remember, if nothing goes wrong in the first year, it is unlikely anything will, but clean out the filter often just to prolong the life. And remember, people are going to be seriously jealous of the size and clarity and no glare from reflection, and... an almost zero footprint.

When you are mounting it, make sure it is unzoomed when you are measuring for the best spot.

586658603[/snapback]

dang I just noticed on ebay too that it can be had brand new for $700 with $30 shipping -.- damn it

Are you sure yours was really brand new? lol I just could not find anything but refurbished for around that price

Also I figure that shipping insurance was a rip I mean it was kinda high, but I have had that put on computer parts before, but what do the sellers on ebay say about shipping insurance? what if the item did get damaged in shipping?

I now wish I could just cancel that order and go through ebay but at this point I am supose to have it tomorrow -.- and I really was in the mood to argue this morning because I was in a hurry this morning....

I guess I should look at it this way $730 through ebay vs $780 through where I went which apparently has ripped me off by $50 and if I get that warranty down to the $119 I saw(not $129 as I said earlier) then I will be ok. However I just can't believe that those are brand new units on ebay oo.

well I called them back and complained about the warranty and told them they sold me a 4 year warranty without 2 lamp replacements that they said it had. The seller denied that and transfered me to customer service. The guy in customer service looked it up and found out I was correct and offered an exchange and I said no way I want a return because I can purchase the warranty for $100 elsewhere(actually $120) then he puts me on hold and comes back and says they can do a $50 discount and I still refused and then brought up the $68 shipping insurance that should have only been $2.80 then he said oh well that is because I over night it(on the site overnight was $34 vs 24 ground) and I said oh so shipping insurance would have costed me $2.80 if I would have choose ground? He then said no sir it is based on the value of the package. I then said yea and UPS only charges .40 cents per a $100. He then said oh well I can go ahead and do a $75 discount on the warranty. I went ahead and took it considering I am now getting the warranty below the cost of the other site $105 but I still have another $68 to take care of.

Unfortunetly I have to go to work so I was not able to finish with them but I will when I get back =). Also I will run this at its best mode and make sure I get enough hours to justify both lamp replacements.

well I called them back and complained about the warranty and told them they sold me a 4 year warranty without 2 lamp replacements that they said it had. The seller denied that and transfered me to customer service. The guy in customer service looked it up and found out I was correct and offered an exchange and I said no way I want a return because I can purchase the warranty for $100 elsewhere(actually $120) then he puts me on hold and comes back and says they can do a $50 discount and I still refused and then brought up the $68 shipping insurance that should have only been $2.80 then he said oh well that is because I over night it(on the site overnight was $34 vs 24 ground) and I said oh so shipping insurance would have costed me $2.80 if I would have choose ground? He then said no sir it is based on the value of the package. I then said yea and UPS only charges .40 cents per a $100. He then said oh well I can go ahead and do a $75 discount on the warranty. I went ahead and took it considering I am now getting the warranty below the cost of the other site $105 but I still have another $68 to take care of.

Unfortunetly I have to go to work so I was not able to finish with them but I will when I get back =). Also I will run this at its best mode and make sure I get enough hours to justify both lamp replacements.

586661227[/snapback]

Absolutely certain that mine was brand new as the bulb usage read zero, as well as the packaging. Glad you were able to get the cost a bit lower.

Absolutely certain that mine was brand new as the bulb usage read zero, as well as the packaging. Glad you were able to get the cost a bit lower.

586662430[/snapback]

me too but due to one of my friends havin some car trouble I will have to wait to call tomorrow before I can complain again about the shipping. I am planning on going by an ups store tomorrow and getting a quote for an 18lb package with shipping insurance from New York to Texas overnight and see what they say. And have them to either sign something or print out some proof of that, then I will call back and present them with it because they say nothing like oh well that is the charge for handling(if that was the case why call it shipping insurance?) Anyways it may be enough for my credit card company to refund me part of that $68 BS.

Also they did say the bulb is brand new in this unit but I will find out shortly, would not be the first time they lied to me.

Well I do have it now and it looks as if it was brand new but I do see on the packaging RE at the end which I assume of course means refurbished or recertified.

All in all though most other online places sell it for around $750 before shipping refurbished so my purchase is kinda even atm give or take $10. Other than ebay which sells new ones for $700....why didn't you freakin mention that earlier? >( j/k lol

however I do wonder if you go the ebay route if mack warranties apply because it seems they only warrant products from particular dealers on their dealer list. Anyways I will keep this thing running on its highest mode so I can atleast get one bulb out before 3 years is over =).

**I do have a question thought**

What video source do you hook up through for best quality DVI? or Component? And do you notice much of a difference?

Edited by Deciever

Awsome!!! AAA quality. I can't believe how good it looks on my grey wall and I have not even hanged up my blackout fabric yet. Whites are very white and blacks are black and the color is so vibrant and this is just from Component, sad to say I do not own any speakers besides the one on my computer lol so I am gonna have to go to walmart for some cheap a$$ speakers to hold me over til december probably. But wow, thanks a lot trance from preventing from making a big mistake and it was most definitly worth it, kinda fun to gripe people out and chew the price down to =), I normally don't think of myself as someone who can do that kinda stuff too well but hey practice makes perfect lol.

Right now I am looking at 50" diagnal due to my shelf needing to come out more. I may have to take down my glass shelf and replace it with a wood one temporarily. But right now I am just thinking 50" looks so small.....and I thought 42" was a lot and I thought well maybe I could afford a 36" flat panel if I wait a lil longer but people have no idea just how small that really is. And chances are the contrast ratio would have sucked for the lowest end flat panel that can be had for less than a $800 or even less than a grand.

I'm sorry I won't be able to, tonight my bro has my 3CCD camera and it would really do it more justice than my dads Pentax. But I will try and get you some pics tomorrow. That and it is only 65" atm cuz it is like in the middle of my room and I need to put a shelf up on my wall so I can get it to around 90" I think, cuz unfortunetly my room is too small to reach 108".

I will say I am partially sucepital to the Rainbow effect, but only when I move my head really fast or blink and move my eyes really fast at the same time. So pretty much it is something I have to try and induce so it actually does not bother me in normal viewing conditions. Which if you move your head real fast or blink and move your eyes real fast you won't be able to focus on a normal video display anyways lol. So basicly I could say only when my eyes get out of focus will it appear. And even then the rainbow effect normally is only noticeable on white colors. A good test would probably be a bright movie vs the matrix though.

In terms of quality it goes DVI>component>>SVID>>>Composite.

The different between DVI and component is negligable.

I'm sorry I didn't mention ebay before.

I highly suggest not going beyond 100" diag for the screen (depending how close you are to the screen), or else the screendoor effect will be bad.

86-96" is the best IMHO.

well due to my room size and wallmount which makes it protrude a foot forward I am only able to get 86 diagnal and 82 widescreen viewable diagnal or actually letter box seems to be the best screen ratio. And that's okay about the ebay thing, cuz well considering I should be cover for 2 lamp replacements over the next three years it was worth the extra $168 or actually extra $138 despite it being refurbished. Just one bulb burn out before the 3 years is up will make me happy lol. and it is supose to have on site service with free parts and labor.

Also I work at a computer shop and I have had to make calls in on a projector that went bad(despite the fact we do not sell projectors and it was not our duty to do it for the school) and I found out just to have a company look at a projector it would cost like over $200 in shipping and diagnostics alone, that is whether they fix it or not, then on top of that you can tack on atleast another $100 in labor and another $300-400 in this case because either the main board was bad or the lcd was, so at least it would have been $600 to repair it if not more. So they ended up trashing it and taking out the lamp and using it in another. Also if memory serves me right this was an infocus projector, probably X1.

oh yea trance have you ever experienced the rainbow effect? oddly enough I have barely even noticed it once today when I tried to induce it by moving my head real fast, but yesterday I was able to induce a good bit more. This does not affect my enjoyment at all I just find it a lil weird and interesting because articles I read said few people are effected by it and I could be one the few, but only when I do it purposely and give it some effort lol.

• 3 weeks later...
I never got any rainbow effect, it helps that it is a 6 segment 4X color wheel

586751639[/snapback]

yea I would not want imagine a 1x or 2x color wheel lol. But the rainbow effect was very minimal that one day I noticed and it has gone away. Maybe it just needed some warming up or to be broke in but I do notice that when I accidently look into the light(hence it is head level) I will see all the colors of rainbow flash before me lol. I wish my bro would have got my video camera back from his parents in law so I could use its picture camera (it is actually quite clear and colorful picture cam despite it being a camcorder, 3CCD chips really help with color and for about $700 aswell it really was a good a buy, most 3CCD cams at the time of last year were at least $1,000 if not well over.)

For long while I was projecting on a grey wall and then last week I bought a temporary white foam like presentation board until I can find a light weight Do-able board or none glossy Tileboard. My dad was like why even brother it already looks great and it is very bright and colorfully and I said I know it is but we don't really know how much better it can get if we don't try it on other things and I must say even a solid white presentation board really enhanced the quality of picture vs my grey wall which already looked great. Later I will paint it with RS-MAXXX mixture, which has a base of some type of reflective pearlescent paint and then I mix Ultra white paint with Deep Base to make a transparent white like color that will go over it. I believe the base needs 2-3 layers or coats and the top layer needs 2 and your supose to wet sand the material first or each layer, I cannot remember. But anyways it really should make this already spectacular projector look even better, particularly and low lite situations. Also I want to paint the reverse side with a drawing I did last year =) for when it is not in use.