The switch? Would you recommend it?

Originally posted by mick0142

1) i am comfortable with it

2) at this point the 2 OS's are becoming more and more interchangable.... so why change

3) upgradability

4) i like modding my case, and if i got a mac, i would get the kind where the monitor is attached to the swively thing... not much modding there

5) steve jobs (just thought that needed to be there :p)

6) my friend jon that pitched mac to me for years, but uses a pc at home

7) that damned one button mouse... i mean my mouse at home has 4 buttons and a wheel

8) games

9) ability to play said games (ties into the multi button mouse issue)

10) 10...10..there has to be a 10, right... hrm... well i guess i will just say the stupid looking iMacs that sold a lot because of the colors and how "cute" they are

lol these are better points to stay with a pc than what most pc users would actually give

@#3) you can upgrade hardware on the powermac/cube i believe (n probably other puters also) but im not too sure

@#4) just get a powermac, theyre cool looking towers ;)

@#5) lol i like that one

@#6) lol tsk tsk tsk, i guess if u switched to a mac, he'dd be like "i have a better puter than uuuuu!" or somethin like that :s

@#7) thats what a logitech/ms mouse is for ;), but there were rumors of a "multi button mouse" coming out soon...

@#8) yep true :(

@#10) if u hate the colors, thats what the powermac quicksilver/ibook/powerbook are for since they arent really colorfull like imacs (n maybe emacs some day)

Ok, I usually don't reply to forums, but I feel I am kinda an expert on this subject because I have so much experience with this topic. You see I have been a die hard fan of Mac all my 10 years in the computer field. The Mac is great and I love Mac OS. It has a ton of advantages over the Wintel platform. But the same thing can be said about the Wintel platform over the Mac. Sure Mac OSX is great and stable, but Windows has come a long way and is pretty user friendly now... lots of game and more of everything becuase more people use them. I love WindowsXP. So you see I am torn between the two.

About 2 years ago I made the reverse switch, from Mac to Wintel, that is. I was dreading it and at the time WindowsME was the new windows OS. I had a lot of learning to do but I can honestly say that I didn't find it as hard as a thought.

I do miss the Mac but my main reason for staying with the PC is the hardware. When you take a hard look at that you have to see the advantages for the Wintel platform really out weight the Mac platform.

Here is an example: I have a 1.5Ghz Athlon with 512MB of ram. If I want to upgrade this machine I can buy a 1.8Ghz CPU for about $200 drop it in and whala!! I have a much faster machine.

On the other hand if I had a 800Mhz G4 that I wanted to upgrade to a 1Ghz it would cost me $250.

Ok, so $50 is not that much, well what if I want to use faster ram.

Well on the PC I can buy a new motherboard that supports DDR for $50-$100.

On the Mac I can't get a new MB.

What if I want to get a faster video card.

Well on the PC I can buy a GF4 with 128MB of ram for $160, on the Mac I can buy a Apple branded GF3 with 64MB of ram for $239.

So at this time I have come to this conclusion. I love MacOSX and I do think it is easier to use. But, I won't swap back to the Mac as long as I am spending my money on the machine until they port the OS to work on Wintel hardware.

Ok enough said, go ahead a flame me if you want but I think I make a pretty valid point without trashing either platform.

Originally posted by Silvorgold

lol these are better points to stay with a pc than what most pc users would actually give

@#3) you can upgrade hardware on the powermac/cube i believe (n probably other puters also) but im not too sure

@#4) just get a powermac, theyre cool looking towers ;)

@#5) lol i like that one

@#6) lol tsk tsk tsk, i guess if u switched to a mac, he'dd be like "i have a better puter than uuuuu!" or somethin like that :s

@#7) thats what a logitech/ms mouse is for ;), but there were rumors of a "multi button mouse" coming out soon...

@#8) yep true :(

@#10) if u hate the colors, thats what the powermac quicksilver/ibook/powerbook are for since they arent really colorfull like imacs (n maybe emacs some day)

you are right, i did forget about the powermac towers... but the colors on the imac... that isn't a deterent for me to buy an imac, that is a deterent for me to buy anything apple :p

but like stated above me, upgrades are way too expensive....

this summer alone i have gone from...:

52x cdrom-->16x DVD($40)

8x4x24 CDRW-->40x12x40($50)

1 40g WD HD--> 2x40g WD HD ($30)

geforece 2 mx400--> geforce 2mx400 AND an ati all in wonder(for dual monitor, line in, line out, tv tuner, and tvout)($30)

1 17"monitor--> 2 17" monitors($80ish.. i haven't actually bought the second monitor yet.. so if anyone knows where to get a cheap one, or is selling theirs to me cheap, the problem is shipping on a monitor is like $50 :p)

now you can't beat cheap upgrades like that... and by the end of summer i am going to put in another 512mb ddr for like $80 or i might only throw 256 in there.. haven't decided

It does amazine me when people say they build their own PC's berate the fact that a Mac comes bundled with a one button mouse. When you buy a mouse for your home built comp, wouldn't you buy a nice mouse like a MS or Logitech Optical mouse with a load of buttons?

Yeah, same here, that's why I use my MS Intelimouse optical with 5 buttons on my Mac, same operation as on windows...

alls i am saying, is what the hell were they thinking when they made a one button mouse... go back about 10 years to an old sun systems sparc 5.... even those had 3 button mice!!!

and more that that.. (cause i agree that you can get away without right clicking....) after having used advanced mice for quite a while.. when i do tech support on an old comp, i just can't get along with out the scroll wheel.. that thing is the greatest mouse innovation since the ball that told your computer where it was....

so, no.. the one button mouse wouldn't ever actually stop me from buying a mac :p

and like mac or not, you have to agree that those clear speakers are awesome.. and the fact that a lot most of the perephirals get plugged into the monitor (i am not sure of the specifics of this, being a pc user :D)

HeHe.. I still don't understand the thing with Mac's one button mouse.. how much can you do with it? especially in games. The right button gives you more options.

Originally posted by Kenno

Can't the Mac makes the mouse at least with 2 minium buttons? Or they can't see the advantages of the right mouse click? :p

The OS has right-click functionality, but when you use the one-button mice, you hold down CTRL and click.

Before you people make yourself look stupid by saying crap like "Lol, one mouse button? Hahaha" either actually use a mac or do some research.

I use my intellimouse on my Mac with 5 buttons and a scroll wheel, same as on my PC.

Amazing huh? :rolleyes:

Nope, it's not amazing! And I guess those who say "Lol, one mouse buttong? hahaha" must be wondering why in the world Mac thinks that one mouse button is sufficient enough. Or is it to hard to add another button?

(I'm refering to the mouse with ony one button that come bundled with emac/imac. )

However, it would be very amazing if we can find a pc mouse with one button! ;)

eh, why not get the best from both worlds?

That's what I'd like to do, but since I'm saving up for a car it's impossible for me right now. :(

Nope, it's not amazing! And I guess those who say "Lol, one mouse buttong? hahaha" must be wondering why in the world Mac thinks that one mouse button is sufficient enough. Or is it to hard to add another button?

(I'm refering to the mouse with ony one button that come bundled with emac/imac. )

It's the way Apple thinks.

The keyborad is 100+ extra buttons.

If you add another button to the mouse each time you want to do something slightly different then you'd end up with a mini keypad on it.

Easier to modify the function of the click with the keyboard IMO.

If you use Photoshop on a PC a lot you will probably get why I'm saying.

Plus, if you're customising and building your own, you buy the best controller for your needs, so get a trackball/tablet/multi-button mouse you want and plug it in.

Just because the 1 button works well for the majority of people Apple sell to, does not make it stupid. You are not required to use it.

If it offends you that much, sell it on Ebay.

--

unspec

Well, prepare to be amazed, this is the last mouse I used on my windows XP laptop:

mouse.jpg

:rolleyes:

The reason Apple continues to ship only a one button mouse it very simple. I is all because of Jobs. He feels that the one but mouse shows how simple the Mac is to use so he makes the rest of the Mac community suffer with one button or go out and buy there own multi-button mouse.

Just another fact to make my point that the Mac hardware is too expensive. The first thing you have to do when you buy a Mac is get a new mouse. That is if you are a power user.

It is expensive, not too expensive.

Your "fact";

so he makes the rest of the Mac community suffer with one button or go out and buy there own multi-button mouse

is personal opinion. Many people, including myself think the standard mouse is perfect - I don't suffer from a lack of any funcionality or convenience.

Apple is making a profit selling systems with 1 button mice at a high price. If they were "too expensive" they would not be making said profit.

Also I think your definition of a power user is a former windows user that want to work in a windows style on a non-windows machine.

--

unspec

Well, unspec if you read my first post you would know that I am not as you say...

"a former windows user that want to work in a windows style on a non-windows machine"

I am a former and present Macintosh user and supporter who just go feed up with paying much higher prices for hardware that is the same or sometimes even lesser quaility. Plus I am not a rich man or I would have the most expensive Macintosh built every six months.

If you are such a long term Mac user then surely you realise how easy using a 1 button mouse + keyboard modifiers is.

That is the Mac way of doing things, perhaps it doesn't sit well with you but that does not make it wrong.

--

unspec

Originally posted by DigitalDJ

macs r for ppl that format alot..everythings preinstall with Mac OS X :D:D:D lololol

wow... ur dumb... or just sarcastic. I've got a home built PC that i format every 2+ weeks b/c of problems. for example... today i formatted.