Would the world be ready for a alien invasion?

Maybe simply mother nature would fight off the aliens as well.... (wotw, signs)

I mean these aliens might be a little complacent, they forget about bacteria, or might forget water is their nemisis.  Never know mother natures a resilent cookie.

And additionally I dont think IQ or their advancement has anything to do with it, just because they can master hyperspace travel doesnt necessarily mean theyve developed the nuclear weapon etc.  If they are alien chances are they would think completely different to us, and as a result their technology and advancement would take a staggeringly different path to that of ours.

586669064[/snapback]

yup they'd be treat like an interplanatery virus

Maybe simply mother nature would fight off the aliens as well.... (wotw, signs)

I mean these aliens might be a little complacent, they forget about bacteria, or might forget water is their nemisis.  Never know mother natures a resilent cookie.

And additionally I dont think IQ or their advancement has anything to do with it, just because they can master hyperspace travel doesnt necessarily mean theyve developed the nuclear weapon etc.  If they are alien chances are they would think completely different to us, and as a result their technology and advancement would take a staggeringly different path to that of ours.

586669064[/snapback]

i just re-read your post and i have to disagree with some points. first of all, at least base on human history, technology advances incrementally with predictable results. we don't have "dramatic" leaps in the field of sciene and technology. with that said, technology as an entity grows and evolves at a steady rate. on the same scale, it is possible, if not plausible to assume that technology generally works this way.

as for mastering hyperspace travel... for one thing, it is known to us that in order to travel at an impressive velocity, a great deal of energy is required. the amount that we possibly cannot gather and harness right now. if not nuclear energy, the aliens themselves must have energy unknown and more ahead of what we have. given that, the weapons they devise should be without a doubt many times more powerful than what we have.

finally, thinking different than us. we are driven by inner colonialism, it pushes us forward in time and allows competition in order for advancement in sciences and technology. if you think about it, all things improved are base on competition alone. with the case i've set above, if they have the technology to zip around the universe, i am sure throughout their history, it must've been pretty damn competitive. or at least a long long history.

and to want to attack us? (voluntarily) well, it just means that they have reached a point where negotiations are unlikely.

Well thats your view but I still contend along with their other diversities their thought patterns would also be different, hence different technology, different progress, different part of the galaxy, different resource etc etc. You can analyse human history all you want, that doesnt apply to aliens one bit. Furthermore I can speculate that they would progress different and hence have different technology of which might not by that virtue simply be more advanced/destructive than ours. So until they actually get neither of our positions can be vindicated.

This is actually an interesting question. I think it is really a two part question.

First part would be yes, the world would cooperate and function relatively in unison to fight of an alien invasion. Psychologically we'd be ready to put up a united front, and I think the reaction would be swift too. Under such a blatantly world-wide threat, minor differences like skin color and flags would melt away.

Second part, would we have the tech to actually fight a civilization capable of reaching our planet. They would have to be from a planet that is far enough away from us that we were unable to detect the presence of an advanced civilization on it. So they would have tech well beyond what we have in terms of spacefaring. But other than that their weapons, culture and tactics could literally be anything. Maybe they never realized the benefit of have projectile weapons in combat, and wield swords into combat, maybe they have a huge cultural stigma against killing living things and would try to capture us all even as we are still fighting them with deadly force. I mean once you start talking extra-terrestrial all bets are off, nothing is a granted and any assumption is nothing more than pure speculation.

Or maybe they would have already developed a super "humanslayer" weapon that allows them to end the life of any human with no more than a thought. I mean, how would we know?

586666103[/snapback]

I agree with him, I mean, if the world would unite for something like that, we wouldn't have any problems anymore it seems like, because we would be worrying about a constant threat of an alien invasion, which would also help us increase technology, we wouldn't hold a grudge against eachother anymore.

I agree with him, I mean, if the world would unite for something like that, we wouldn't have any problems anymore it seems like, because we would be worrying about a constant threat of an alien invasion, which would also help us increase technology, we wouldn't hold a grudge against eachother anymore.

586689086[/snapback]

I dunno, i think there will still be grudges, politically, religously? Who knows. What is certain though is taht Earth would be more united but not completely united, but then i am not a prophet of the future...

I dunno, i think there will still be grudges, politically, religously? Who knows. What is certain though is taht Earth would be more united but not completely united, but then i am not a prophet of the future...

586689164[/snapback]

Completely united is a bit reaching in my estimation too. I mean heck I don't care for half of the people that live on my street, but if there were a criminal prowling the neighborhood preying on all of us, I'm certianly more inclined to aid them especially if it helps me too.

if they have the technology to "get" here i bet they can pwn us *period

586657680[/snapback]

:D

Aliens > Humans > Monkeys > CS Cheaters

586660454[/snapback]

:laugh:

I think an invasion could actually be beneficial.  Short of a global environmental threat, or the threat of nuclear holocaust, an Invasion would unite the earth in a common goal against a common and univerally agreeded upon threat, and at the end of which would allow us to progress to the next platue of global cooperation and interconnectivity.

Additionally I am confident the Aliens will find their graves on this planet.  Humans are like a virus, and as such we'd tear through the aliens like the bird flu through an ethiopian.

586661812[/snapback]

You watch too many movies...

But I don't know man, I don't think we would stand a chance...

My question is, why the hell would they want to blow us up? If they can make it all the way here, then we're obviously no threat to them, and also, wouldn't they want to study us first? Form diplomatic relations? C'mon, it's not like Bush is leading the alien armada.

Without a hitch..... that is the wonderful aspect of this happening, the world would have no choice but to unite.

586666171[/snapback]

'Cept North Korea...

Absolutely not. An alien invasion would mean an invasion from a civilization so far away that we cannot detect it, and they have the capability of travelling that distince meaning, A)There transportation and mobility technology (and most certainly weapons) are far superior. B) They can get to us, but we can't get to them. This means they would constantly on the offensive and we would never be able to counter attack, so they could just sit around and take pot shots at us as they please. So if this were somehow to happen, nope.

i think that we can defend ourselves fairly well for a period of time, as the above poser said, we would have no offensive so unless we could get to them we would eventually lose. the other thing we would have to be prepared for is that they will be able to shield, i would guess using a magnetic field (keep them from getting blasted by meteros and space crap) and that would send our weapons every which way

i think that we can defend ourselves fairly well for a period of time, as the above poser said, we would have no offensive so unless we could get to them we would eventually lose. the other thing we would have to be prepared for is that they will be able to shield, i would guess using a magnetic field (keep them from getting blasted by meteros and space crap) and that would send our weapons every which way

586711829[/snapback]

Hah :laugh:

In order to get here, an alien race would almost certainly have the technology to travel faster than the speed of light. Being able to engineer an unstoppable biological threat would be cake, hell, we're not far off from something like that ourselves. If another race wanted to wipe us out for good, their biggest challenge would be deciding on what the most entertaining way would be to kill everyone.

My question is, why the hell would they want to blow us up? If they can make it all the way here, then we're obviously no threat to them, and also, wouldn't they want to study us first? Form diplomatic relations? C'mon, it's not like Bush is leading the alien armada.

586700842[/snapback]

Keep in mind that, to us, what's right and wrong doesn't leave the earth. An alien race may just be after resources, and the quickest way to get such would be to wipe out any existing life on a planet.

• 2 weeks later...

We would be *u**ed... The only smart thing to do would to spread a disease, such as smallpox into them. It may take out half the earths population, but it would take out their whole population. It would spread so rapidly, that there doctors would not be ready, and most likely there immune systems unable to defend against it.

lol I dont think the Aliens we might come across in real-life (?) would be as easily defeated as H.G.Wells interpretation of them, or as easily taken down as a simple computer virus and a nuke aka Indepence day.

Im pretty confident that if they are an advanced race, they would proabably have quarantine management procedures to stop the virus spreading through their own population.

nobody is going to invade nobody... only beings like us here in the earth have the little mind to think about an alien invasion....

as somebody said, if they have the tech to "get" here they would pwn us period... but people from other planets cant come here to "pwn" us cause they are more evolved than us "morally" talking, therfore, they DO NOT think in star wars episodes or such things that only "US" and less evolved people from other planets do...

keep waiting for an alien invasion, as others keep waiting for Jesus to come in a cloud and rescue all us.... and you will keep waiting forever :)

I'd like to add:

1. Since they've had to make lightyear's worth of travel to reach earth, there would no doubt be a system of command and politics. What happens if some aliens dissent after witnessing a massacre? (What if a battallion commander alien sees a small child and feels pity/remorse [also, if the alien is all tentacled up and does not like humans, what if a peaceful starfish or octopus gets caught in battle?])

2. Humankind isn't ready to accept an alien race as existing :x Heck, some people can't even accept different skin colour! We'll unite to kill - not to be peaceful :(

3. Imagine the diseases we'd face? We can't cure aids, and some alien pathogen is now introduced? It'd be smallpox all over again! (Poor alien, he would feel so bad for giving Timmy cephalo-myla-toxicornary disease)