Rumor: Build 5231 is the October CTP

Rumor: Build 5231 is the October CTP.

Reality: FALSE.

Rob Chambers @ Microsoft publicly talked about Build 5235 being more recent. Besides, if you look at the screenshots, t6he build date was September 19th. There's no way they'd put out a build that old. Expect something around 5237, with a build date on or slightly after September 30th. That's not from any sources, but a very educated guess.

Longhorn Blogs

Rob Chambers didn't say anything about 5231 NOT being the CTP for Oct... what that idiot blogger doesn't realize is that MS wouldn't release a CTP that wasn't tested rigorously. Also realize that there are multiple 5231 builds (like there were multiple 5219 builds), each one having fixes fasttracked in.

Just wait... 5231 will be the CTP. Everyone mark this post and see if I am right.

Rob Chambers didn't say anything about 5231 NOT being the CTP for Oct... what that idiot blogger doesn't realize is that MS wouldn't release a CTP that wasn't tested rigorously. Also realize that there are multiple 5231 builds (like there were multiple 5219 builds), each one having fixes fasttracked in.

Just wait... 5231 will be the CTP. Everyone mark this post and see if I am right.

586659694[/snapback]

Post Marked :shifty:

And if you are wrong? What then?

That makes little or no sense.

Compile = build

5231 = build number

So any newer complie would surley be 5323 or above.

586659737[/snapback]

for IDX builds, there are multiple compiles of the same build, with only bug fixes ported in (no new features).

So, they use the same build number when it is compiled out of the idx branch.

Rob Chambers @ Microsoft publicly talked about Build 5235 being more recent.

He also talked about it being a private build.

Who knows what build MS decide to fix up for a CTP release?

Expect something around 5237

That's not from any sources, but a very educated guess.

Eh, OK.

I think he sure may be right, but he could just as well have not posted that speculative thing.

He has no facts on his hands about what the CTP will be and don't know, so what's his point?

5231, will be the CTP. But probably a newer compile maybe.

586659700[/snapback]

Compile = build

5231 = build number

Compile = build

5231 = build number

:yes:

And like the guy said:

That's not from any sources, but a very educated guess.

That's just his guess. He's pretty much saying he has no clue either but he might be close. So he's not saying he's right at all actually. That's what I get from reading it.

for IDX builds, there are multiple compiles of the same build, with only bug fixes ported in (no new features).

So, they use the same build number when it is compiled out of the idx branch.

586659744[/snapback]

OK, makes it harder for them to track progress though i guess,

"hey john which build did we fix the ubercrash bug 3 in", "well bob erm, build 5321 , but not the first on, the fourth one", "damn john, why didnt we just call it 5325, now ive completely lost how we fixed it"

OK, makes it harder for them to track progress though i guess,

"hey john which build did we fix the ubercrash bug 3 in", "well bob erm, build 5321 , but not the first on, the fourth one", "damn john, why didnt we just call it 5325, now ive completely lost how we fixed it"

586659753[/snapback]

there is a build string. 5231.051004 (as an example) as opposed to 5231.051005.

See what I mean? Again, it only works this way for builds that are being driven for IDX (or in this case CTP - basically anything that is released externally).

there is a build string. 5231.051004 (as an example) as opposed to 5231.051005.

See what I mean? Again, it only works this way for builds that are being driven for IDX (or in this case CTP - basically anything that is released externally).

586659767[/snapback]

ai, i follow you

IDWs are part of the development process. They basically take a snapshot of the code, fork it, then bring it to relative stability, while new features continue to be integrated into the main build. Later the fixes made to the IDW will be integrated back into main.

It's a pretty tried-and-true process. A little birdie told me that 5231 from last Friday will be the October CTP.

No one is going to refer to "ubercrash bug 3." Believe me, there is a process for tracking bugs, fixes, etc. It's very well refined.

Edited by threedaysdwn

If I am wrong... I will never come back here again.

586659726[/snapback]

Well it looks like I may be the one that should show my avatar in these forums again. :p

Was checking the beta newsgroups today and it seems the OEM's received WV 5231 and TechBeta's group are next on the list to get it then MSDN'ers. So it seems WV 5231 is it folks. Should be up on connect.microsoft.com shortly. :unsure:

No offence to Robert but he does have a habit of pulling out random information that's simply untrue and then flaming people (Paul T) who have been in the business before he was even out of nappies.

I didn't think 5231 (the leak) was unstable anyway. I mean, the glass is working a lot better than before, although symantec corp av still doesn't work properly (probably due to kernel changes)

I didn't think 5231 (the leak) was unstable anyway. I mean, the glass is working a lot better than before, although symantec corp av still doesn't work properly (probably due to kernel changes)

586663928[/snapback]

I agree... on top of that, it installs much faster then previous versions. Not sure what Paul Thurrott got, but the copy I have it very stable and usable. :yes:

586663928[/snapback]

ev0| what version of syamantec corp av are you using? I tried V10 and ended up with a BSOD. :ermm:

What video card do you have? I hear that the new build has updated NVidia drivers? I have a 7800GT.

FYI, from the screenshots I saw, the leaked build is older than the CTP.

586664379[/snapback]

(Y) Thanks for the info. Must be close to being released to techbetas now?!

Microsoft can have up to a thousand build numbers. However, if they internally decide to make a certain build a CTP build, it needs to reach IDW status internally (good enough to give out to testers). They also may decide to pluck out certain "features" here and there along the way too - that's a factor. Bottomline, he's a dummy and doesn't know they can have one build number being worked on for a long time.