40" BRAVIA

sounds good but its not true HD....only 720p

586668214[/snapback]

Um? lol

You make it sound like they are the same thing.

Sony sources its panels from S-LCD (Plant opened by Sony and Samsong) and Hitachi, but the image processor in Bravia is all Sony.

Its that Sony image processor is what makes it stand out above the rest.

586679604[/snapback]

He was talking about the build of the units and I guess we are both wrong in our points since we both go on about things that affect the picture quality. The image processor has nothing to do with the sturdiness of the externals.

And, to be fair, comparing this Sony to a midranged Samsung is unfair, no matter what. Compare the Samsung 238's to the Sony a10's and you will see just how similar the sets really are. The XBR's are very nice sets, without a doubt, but yoo do pay a lot for the name on the front of it.

Well to be fair to everyone in this thread, I stated in my first post that I this review wasn't your typical paper spec review. I'm not reviewing the manufacturing and or internals of the TV, simply an opinion based on sensory stimuli. I'm sure everyone will have something to say about some brand name, some more than others, just that we all have preferences and even if sticking by a branding is what you prefer, then so be it.

I hope there is some information here that can aide you in considering this model. Afterall, isn't that what reviews are for? Not necessarily saying you MUST buy this TV, just not overlook it when comparing models.

Can you tell us more about the SD signal? How does it look and compare with CRT?

How is the black level? Can you see what's going on in really dark movies or games?

Can you tell us more about the SD signal?  How does it look and compare with CRT? 

How is the black level?  Can you see what's going on in really dark movies or games?

586689779[/snapback]

I know from personal experience with the set that the black levels are phenomenal. The only set I've seen to outdo it is a Pioneer plasma.

586668214[/snapback]

720P is true HD. 1080i is just another HD format. LCDs are almost always 720P. CRTs are usually 1080i. That's just how it is.

586668214[/snapback]

(jumping on bandwagon)

Yeah, 720P looks like total crap!

Actually, more lines are on the screen in 720p then 1080i

Looks nice, good review. You left out the price. How much did it cost you?

586692314[/snapback]

The retail is $3599 which lets most resellers offer up at $3100-3300 as their sales pitch. I got mine for $2800 =T heh...no its not hot either...registered with sony and all.

I also thought I'd pose a question to some since it seems that bangbang and others have much more working knowledge than I do. My dilemma is, 40" on a stand currently is WAYYY too big at 7ft. Not that I'm complaining, but I want to wall mount. My problem, apartments in NYC do not have studs however the wall in which I plan on mounting to is plaster over brick.

Now I'm looking at raising it say about 8-9ft from the floor with maybe an 11-14 degree tilt. I am looking specifically at the Sanus VMDDb wallmount. I have 0 experience with this so I'm imaging I'd want this as secure was possible. The weight and size limitation of the TV fit to spec for the mount, my only concern is going into Brick. Of course I'd imagine it being much more stronger, do you have any recommendations as to the application in which I apply to the mount?

I was considering going through with a 5/8" bit and maybe popping in some aluminum anchors into the brick. I'm pretty apprehensive about elevating it that high, any suggestions?

Wall mounting is one thing I'm not too sure of. Honestly, you may be better calling a local contracter and asking them. They would know about the strength of the walls and all much better than I would.

586668214[/snapback]

Actually, 720p IS true HD. HD is comprised of several formats that are all considered HD. These include 480p, 720i, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p.

720p and 1080i are roughly comparable formats (obviously one being interlaced, one progressive). 1080p is at the top of the food chain, but nothing can output at that format currently ('cept maybe a media center pc). Only problem is that even the 1080p sets, the HDMI chipset inside isn't even capable of dispalying true native 1080p. The signal is actually up-converted to 1080p.

So basically, either wait to get a next gen HDMI chipset for true 1080p (and pay through the yin yang) or save money now and buy either a 1080i or 720p set. :-P

Ahh technology!

Sharp just came out (21st Oct) with the G series full spec hivision series. They sell it in Japan but I'm not sure about other countries.

The model numbers are LC-65GE1, LC-57GE1, LC-45GE1 and LC-37GE1 and its resolution is 1920 x 1080.

Sharp just came out (21st Oct) with the G series full spec hivision series.  They sell it in Japan but I'm not sure about other countries.

The model numbers are LC-65GE1, LC-57GE1, LC-45GE1 and LC-37GE1 and its resolution is 1920 x 1080.

586708079[/snapback]

There is a 45 inch model in the states capable of 1080p also, but since nothing is in 1080p yet, it is generally not needed.

Good buy! I almost ended up buying this set, I couldn't find anything better but then I saw this amazing Pioneer 43' plasma. If I had no other choice I would go with Sony Bravia.

Congrats on the buy.

has anyone used the 32 inch bravia?  I was thinking about getting this for the bedroom.

586719360[/snapback]

i looked at the 32" and the 40" and i really wished there was something in between, at 36-37" but there isnt. I judged based on the dimensions of my apartment as I live in a studio. My apartment is situated such that my work station, my living room, and my bed area all can face the TV. I plan to mount it 8" up on a brick backed dry wall (no studs - plaster on brick). Some might argue saying that it's dangerous without studs but frankly drilling straight back into brick with aluminum anchors in the brick should be sufficient to hold roughly 38lbs. The 40" unit is about 45lbs w/stand.

Good buy! I almost ended up buying this set, I couldn't find anything better but then I saw this amazing Pioneer 43' plasma. If I had no other choice I would go with Sony Bravia.

Congrats on the buy.

586720063[/snapback]

i considered going plasma but I've heard that they are not future proof. Most electronics these days are not futureproof, just that the rapid downward spiral in prices on plasma TVs made me skeptical. I'm a firm believer in you pay for what you get. If I were to make an investment, I want to make an investment with a reputable brand. I'm not taking anything away from Pioneer or any of the other companies that are currently in the running. Just that the 1-2K price tag on almost all plasma's made me apprehensive in which direction the market is going. Granted in 1-2yrs I'm sure my 3K TV will be probably cost a buyer half of what i paid.

I've also had a few personal bad experiences with plasma TVs. If you read the thread, I was offered a plasma for a fraction of what I paid and had passed it up so that a friend can benefit from this. I literally witnessed one whole row of pixels go within 3months of his purchase. That was the time frame it took me to save up for my TV. And I was sad to say it took him an additional 2-3months to have it warranty replaced.

has anyone used the 32 inch bravia?  I was thinking about getting this for the bedroom.

586719360[/snapback]

Excellent set. Nothing else to really say other than that.

Sort of jumping on the bandwagon (ish) ... I am reliably informed that anyone purchasing an xbox360 at launch will find a discount voucher inside from Samsung, thus enabling a hefty discount on any Samsung HDTV, details as to whether this is a mail in or whatnot are yet to be ironed out .. Remember you seen this here first ...

i looked at the 32" and the 40" and i really wished there was something in between, at 36-37" but there isnt.  I judged based on the dimensions of my apartment as I live in a studio.  My apartment is situated such that my work station, my living room, and my bed area all can face the TV.  I plan to mount it 8" up on a brick backed dry wall (no studs - plaster on brick).  Some might argue saying that it's dangerous without studs but frankly drilling straight back into brick with aluminum anchors in the brick should be sufficient to hold roughly 38lbs.  The 40" unit is about 45lbs w/stand. 

i considered going plasma but I've heard that they are not future proof.  Most electronics these days are not futureproof, just that the rapid downward spiral in prices on plasma TVs made me skeptical.  I'm a firm believer in you pay for what you get.  If I were to make an investment, I want to make an investment with a reputable brand.  I'm not taking anything away from Pioneer or any of the other companies that are currently in the running.  Just that the 1-2K price tag on almost all plasma's made me apprehensive in which direction the market is going.  Granted in 1-2yrs I'm sure my 3K TV will be probably cost a buyer half of what i paid. 

I've also had a few personal bad experiences with plasma TVs.  If you read the thread, I was offered a plasma for a fraction of what I paid and had passed it up so that a friend can benefit from this.  I literally witnessed one whole row of pixels go within 3months of his purchase.  That was the time frame it took me to save up for my TV.  And I was sad to say it took him an additional 2-3months to have it warranty replaced.

586720130[/snapback]

Well money was not really an issue here.. What I wanted is quality, but like you said "you get what you pay for". :cool:

I'm about to pull the trigger on the 32 inch. I guess my concern is that i have a 34 inch sony crt in the living room, and if i am buying one the same size, i am jeopardizing my chances of getting a larger set sometime.

Im in the market for something like this at the moment. I was going to get a projector at first then I realised I didn't need anything that big.

The 32" supports 1080i according to hdtvsoloutions.com where it is the highest rated flat screen < 40".

Im in the market for something like this at the moment. I was going to get a projector at first then I realised I didn't need anything that big.

The 32" supports 1080i according to hdtvsoloutions.com where it is the highest rated flat screen < 40".

586728641[/snapback]

Of course it will support them, it simply converts all signals to its native resolution of 768p.

Oh right ok sorry I'm new to this and don't really understand it...

It's also largely irrelevent since Sky are the only people broadcasting HD in the UK anyway atm.

586728680[/snapback]

I didn't mean it like it sounded, sorry. I just woke from a nap and realized I may have forgotten to call a girl over an hour ago. But, yeah, most sets will support 4801, 280p, 720p, and 1080i, though they will always convert to their native resolution.

Oh right ok sorry I'm new to this and don't really understand it...

It's also largely irrelevent since Sky are the only people broadcasting HD in the UK anyway atm.