[ REVIEWS ] F.E.A.R

It's kind of short - completed it within about 8hours on hard. However, the game itself is great - I'm not usually a fan of single player FPS, but I just couldn't stop playing it.

I know this game runs off a totally different engine then Half-Life 2... but.

Anyone else seeing the Half-Life 2 type of bug, where everytime you turn a corner it freezes for a second or two, like it is loading the textures. It's annoying and takes away from the fun of the game. It does this at 800x600 also, with AF and AA turned off.

My specs are

P4 3.2GHZ Prescott

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

Kingston Hyper X 2x512 2-2-2-6 DDR400 1GB Total

Sapphire X850 XT PE 256mb AGP 8X

2x WD 120GB 8mb Cache IDE in Raid Stripe.

Soundblaster Audigy MP3

I am running all updates, newest Catalyst drivers, newest and beta audio drivers, neither make a diff, DirectX is up to date, closed all programs running in background.

Guildwars runs fine at 1280x1024, 4xAA/AF

Battlefield runs fine at same settings.

Sniper Elite runs fine at same setting.

Any ideas or anyone else seeing this?

Picked up my copy this afternoon at a local Best Buy. Apparently most of them got their shipments, and the stores out here always put them out on the shelves early. I've only just started playing it, but i'm not as impressed as the reviewers are. Hopefully the story does something for me, as the graphics aren't all that great.

I know this game runs off a totally different engine then Half-Life 2... but.

Anyone else seeing the Half-Life 2 type of bug, where everytime you turn a corner it freezes for a second or two, like it is loading the textures. It's annoying and takes away from the fun of the game. It does this at 800x600 also, with AF and AA turned off.

My specs are

P4 3.2GHZ Prescott

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

Kingston Hyper X 2x512 2-2-2-6 DDR400 1GB Total

Sapphire X850 XT PE 256mb AGP 8X

2x WD 120GB 8mb Cache IDE in Raid Stripe.

Soundblaster Audigy MP3

I am running all updates, newest Catalyst drivers, newest and beta audio drivers, neither make a diff, DirectX is up to date, closed all programs running in background.

Guildwars runs fine at 1280x1024, 4xAA/AF

Battlefield runs fine at same settings.

Sniper Elite runs fine at same setting.

Any ideas or anyone else seeing this?

586679994[/snapback]

You need more RAM

looks like Gabe Newell... :rolleyes:

hl2gabe.jpg

was happily playing the game for a good hour and it crashed :(

but what i have played so far is nice.. keep seeing little sections from the demo and i'm thinking "ok around this corner is the part with the small room" then i turn the corner and its different and filled with marines...

only downside so far is that your just fighting the same thing over and over, which i think pretty much continues thoughout the game

Some of the particle fx are absolutely incredible! The explosions are unreal in slow-motion. Also you gotta see the heat fx and blur on the missiles the mech enemies shoot at you.

fear82gn.jpg

fear99wt.jpg

fear101qs.jpg

fear110qk.jpg

fear128ft.jpg

fear132ij.jpg

Who is that obese guy supposed to be and why is he holding a cactus?

586682156[/snapback]

a secret character who throws chips at you and uses a cactus as a secondary :laugh:

a secret character who throws chips at you and uses a cactus as a secondary  :laugh:

586682274[/snapback]

That is hilarious. I take it then that he is an enemy.

For some reason these screenshots of the characters in F.E.A.R. remind me of the characters from Max Payne 2.

i got this game today as well. i must say its bloody amazing! definately best fps game so far this year.

all those cool effects, atmosphere, enemy ai, storyline is so great. too bad i have to run everything on medium.:(

It was like 100kb at the usenet store. pre thanks giving sale?:ninja::

586683247[/snapback]

fo' real?

im wit dat. gotta get it quik

Usenet rocks. Any paid usenet server suggestions? My isps one suuucks

fo' real?

im wit dat. gotta get it quik

Usenet rocks.  Any paid usenet server suggestions?  My isps one suuucks

586683394[/snapback]

I use my isp's :laugh: