Nikon D70s vs. Canon EOS 20D vs. Digital Rebel XT

Hey,

Yeah...I'm looking for a camera...

What I need are high quality shots, and I'm trying to choose between the Canon EOS 20D, Canon Digital Rebel XT, and the Nikon D70s.

That is pretty much my price range, and those are the only 3 cameras that I have heard good things about.

I am planning on shooting exterior architecture, sports events, and miscellaneous...

I've never really played around with any of them before...but I need to know which one has the best value. I've looked at the comparison charts and reviews on dpreview.com, and I've been to other places, and I can't seem to find which one is the clearest one and worth it for me to buy.

I've heard that the Digital Rebel XT ( 350D ) feels cheap and isn't very durable...whereas the 20D is a little bit more expensive, has good grip, and is basically the bigger brother of the 350D...

The Nikon D70 is what I see a lot of people who experiment and shoot miscellaenous objects use. Lots of still portraits with the 20D...and I've seen the 350D as another thing that people who shoot different things like to use.

If any people can tell me what camera I should get, and will give me the best value...I'd really appreciate it.

http://www.dpreview.com - one of the most respectable digital photography review sites.

Speaking about these three cameras - they are really side-by-side to each other in terms of performance. If I had to pick one, I would choose Nikon, because I already own one (and absolutly love Nikon 5700), it's the least expensive among the three, and it's the most recent one.

Check out the sample photos, see what you like most. Go to the store, spend some time choosing between the three (don't rush), see which one you are most comfortable with, after all it's you who's going to be using it.

in my opinion, the 20d is the best since it makes less noise than the d70, is faster at autofocusing, and the cameras processor is newer and better.

586675930[/snapback]

autofocus..pff

20D also costs 30% extra without any more value.

Earlier this year I was trying to make the same decision, and ended up with the D70.

While the Canons have a higher megapixel count, they use a lot of processing, as well as a stronger aliasing filter and actually ended up resolving less detail than the D70 pics. Canon's cameras are far too menu oriented for my liking, whereas you can change most options on the D70 with just button presses.

The D70 is a much better size/weight of camera for my hands, and felt much better made too. The kit lens is far better with the Nikon. :) The D70 has a far better flash system, and exposes to preserve highlights better than the Canons - I often found canon images to over-expose by default.

While I find the user interface with Nikons to be far superior to what Canon offers, what matters is which one feels right in your hands, and what lenses you want to buy into. With SLRs, you'll be building up a collection of lenses, and changing the body every few years, so you want to make your decision based on that more than anything else.

I had a D70 for a couple of months, but in the end I decided that the additional cost for current generation DSLRs over higher-end P&S cameras wasn't justified, so I bought a Casio EX-Z750 which produces shots that are very similar in quality to them the majority of the time at less than 1/3 of the price. It has most of the common complaints about P&S cameras solved - starts up in 1 second, and has no shutter lag. You have to put a little more work in to get a great shot, but I don't regret my decision one bit. (I do miss bokeh though)

Once the next generation of DSLRs come out I will be looking into buying one again; I had always planned to buy a DSLR and then a very compact P&S for when I just can't carry around a big camera, but have done things the other way around now, as I didn't feel I was getting value for money with current DSLRs.

With SLRs, you'll be building up a collection of lenses, and changing the body every few years, so you want to make your decision based on that more than anything else.

Quoted for truth

You cannot compare a EOS 20D against a D70 or Rebel XT

A 20D is above them both in terms of features, quality, and of course price.

Your attempting to compare 2 entry level SLR's (D70, 350D), versus a pro SLR (20D)

Quoted for truth

586677181[/snapback]

Indeed, buy the most cost-effective camera right now (even try for something used like 350D/XT, perhaps even 10D if you're dying for something more "pro-like"; I assume you are just recently diving into photography).

Use the money saved to purchase the higher quality lenses. And we'll gladly help you out on what to choose...

I bought a Canon 300D (Digital Rebel) off Ebay a couple months ago for $550. It's a great camera. I've played around with the XT which is it's successor. The XT is smaller in the hands (which I don't particularly care for since I have big hands). I use Canon and Nikon lenses on my 300D since I used to own a Nikon FE film camera. I just bought a Nikon to Canon EOS lens mount adapter off ebay for $30. They don't auto focus or auto exposure on the Canon. But I can use them in aperture priority or manual mode just fine.

here are some of my 300D photos

http://www.pbase.com/roxics/portfolio_series

As far as the cheap feel, it's polycarbonate, it's tough stuff even if it feels cheaper.

Edited by roxics

You cannot compare a EOS 20D against a D70 or Rebel XT

A 20D is above them both in terms of features, quality, and of course price.

Your attempting to compare 2 entry level SLR's (D70, 350D), versus a pro SLR (20D)

586679782[/snapback]

The 20D and 350D both use the same image sensor (while the revision is slightly different the images taken by both are exactly the same, the same noiseless images, the same iso sensitivity etc etc) - the only difference is that the 20D is a faster camera with slightly more features and a magnesium alloy body.

The D70/D70s are previous generation cameras with no new technology.

Just compare an iso400 image and you will see why...

The d70s cannot go against the 20d....

The d70s is just the d70 with the new firmware and a new AF/VF system, nothing worth upgrading to if you have a d70 and far from comparable to a 20D

Also the 350D tramples the D50 everywhere (bar price)

Think of it this way.

350D is a 20D minus the metal body and larger buffer. IQ is the same, image sensor is the same and AF speed is the same on the same lens. the 20D is faster though with 2 more AF zones.

The D50 is a cut down D70 full stop and still on a 6mp sensor.

The 20D is a enthsiast level dslr., it is used by professionals and amateurs alike regardless of what anyone says

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, to be honest...I know nothing about photography...I want to be able to pick up one that I can get used to and that is really good.

I am aiming for either the Canon 20D or Digital Rebel XT (350D)....I've heard that the 350D has a really bad body, and that isn't worth it, so I should go for the 20D...

I don't really know...I'm just taking different opinions...

For someone who is new to photography...like..just really basic, which one of the two cameras would you recommend?

i'd go with the Nikon D70... its the best digital camera, i've ever used..

my uncle is a professional, and i've played around with his camera, and it is soo neat..

no noise in the pictures, flash is big and bright, nice bright LCD screen, but the software is a bit sluggish... :huh:

Ok, to be honest...I know nothing about photography...I want to be able to pick up one that I can get used to and that is really good.

I am aiming for either the Canon 20D or Digital Rebel XT (350D)....I've heard that the 350D has a really bad body, and that isn't worth it, so I should go for the 20D...

I don't really know...I'm just taking different opinions...

For someone who is new to photography...like..just really basic, which one of the two cameras would you recommend?

586744324[/snapback]

whoever told you it has a bad body is 100% wrong.

the 300D body was plastic but robust and very heavy duty, the 350d body is double that and has a textured matt finish giving a much better grip and strength. I have had mine almost 6 months now and it has withstood everything

whoever told you it has  a bad body is 100% wrong.

the 300D body was plastic but robust and very heavy duty, the 350d body is double that and has a textured matt finish giving a much better grip and strength. I have had mine almost 6 months now and it has withstood everything

586744500[/snapback]

mrk knows what he is talking about, he had one and is a pro in photography.