Would My Specs Support It?

Hmm, would my specs support it (apart from RAM):

AMD Duron

1.6 GHZ

256 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

I am thinking of buying the proper version when it comes out... Also, do you reckon there is an option when installing Vista to completely overwrite XP (so no XP files are taking up space), but leave ALL my documents and files well alone? Or is it impossible considerig some of the files won't work on Vista as they are made for XP?

Edited by Non Stop

Ok, about the XP taking up space well it's called a clean boot but that wipes EVERYTHING on the partition you installing to. You boot from the DVD and then format the partition you wanna install on then install ... Your "My Documents" should be on a seperate partition anyways.. any smart computer user would know that. If the OS dies then your docs would be gone too. Create a 10GB partition for Vista and the rest of your drive for data... Simple as that. So each time you format you'd format the 10GB partition ONLY but your documents would be on drive "D" or whatever you call it. No loss of data that way.

If you run it from within Windows and do a "clean install" well it'll basically packup your Windows folder to a folder called "Windows.OLD" but that's a crappy way to do it in my opinion

And Vista will run on that but who knows how good, by that time you would/should have upgraded your system to alteast an Athlon XP 2400+ or faster... those are like $30 now

To be honest I've never got into doing partitions, I should, but it ain't worth the risk of me screwing something up.

But, like you said, I'll probably have a whole new system by then...

Hi, i have almost your same system...but with 1giga ddr ram and ok, i can't see the glass effect.... but is ok, this build work good on my AMD system, but remember we talk always about a beta OS and you need to be patient with your new Os Vista cause is not really stable and sometimes you can have problem with your hardware, ok , for me , you never have to reinstall your primary OS "the one you work and live with", cause is a beta.. the, the only choose you can do seriously is to make a partition for Vista "min. 10giga", i hope you enjoy your experience with the beta version and post here your impression ... my of this build is really, good.... i not have have a big or serious problem like i had with 5221, totally incompatibility with my AMD-Nvidia system......, ok good luck!

You misunderstand me, I only plan to get the full functioning Vista OS when it gets released, and when it does, I'll do what Kcinay said via Nero and upload what I need to there. Becuse in all honesty I'll probably want a new hard drive as well as this is only 382 GB, but thanks everyone....