Reverse-Out Colours in Illustrator CS2

Question

Daedalus

Hi guys,

I'm doing a basic logo for a University report in Illustrator CS2 which I have never used before.

The logo is Black & White and I want any text on the white section to be black and any on the black section to be white. Some letters partially cover both the black and white sections (i.e. some characters will need to be part black and part white).

Is there any easy way of accomplishing this?

Thanks in advance. I can post a sample if necessary.

4 answers to this question

DrBroccoli

You could do two identical text layers and make one black and the other white, then erase where needed too. Or if you want both colors to change, make a selection then invert colors.

Pox

not sure about illustrator, but in fireworks, i get the logo as a (nice) raster, add the text on top, convert the text to a path and then to a marquee, and invert colors on that marquee.

crashdummy

use pathfinder

overlap the black text on the black section.. and use cutout (or whatever its called). Hit Merge and your done..

Daedalus

Thanks for the replies guys!

I don't suppose I could get a slightly more detailed guide from someone or perhaps a link to a relevant website for either Illustrator or Fireworks? I've never used either before and I'm clueless about the tools.

Here's a quick mock-up of what I'm trying to accomplish. As you can see, some of the letters will need to be both black & white.

24-7-Logo.png

Thanks again.