Vista Build 5231 UNBAREABLY slow!

2) # No Warez (links) & Cracks.

Help, requests or posts that discuss circumvention. This includes linking to illegally obtained software, movies & music files - posting about it, and suggesting to get it.

Can't help you with pirated software.

Bye

PLEASE, if you have nothing better to add then ?BETA?, or ?Pirated leaked beta?, or any sarcastic comments of that such, THINK, your really not contributing to the topic so find somewhere else to spam

586681668[/snapback]

PIRAAAAAAAAAAATEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Freedom77 obviously doesn't understand that people who get it illegally aren't really interested in sending in beta reports, so they aren't contributing at all to the development process.

@doctorfire: I agree with you.

What I think you should do is try to find exactly what "triggered" your copy to go slow like that. If it's a driver, than roll-back or uninstall it. Try updating your drivers manually through the Device Manager, that helps too.

Good luck !

the problem is the graphics card. You need as a minimum a directx9 card which the fx range is not. The fx range cant do directx 9 properly and so visa errr vista will lag. Just disable themes for now and look at replacing your graphics card with a pci express card 7800 or 6800 should do the job if your preference is nvidia. Also bear in mind the drivers for visa err vista arnt 100% optomized yet so there will be some drivers issues.

It just doesn't support DirectX 9 correctly on Vista, or at all? Because I have no problems playing games that need DirectX 9.0 on Windows XP. So, I thought my GeForce FX 5500 would support it.

586681752[/snapback]

My GeForce FX 5200 runs glass just fine. I don't think it's a graphics card compatibility issue.

Edited by ejsl23

This is getting a bit messy.... I didn't want to start a war. I just noticed this forum had the most about Vista, and had the msot people helping, so I decided I'd take part in the community.

I'll admit that I have Windows Vista as well. Only beta 1, but anyway.

Yes I got it illegally I admit that.

But I don't come to Neowin asking for help. This is not the place for that. There are places you can go to discuss those types of things.

If you've received the betas legitimately and need help or want to discuss things, fine post away in the Vista Beta Place. If you don't have a legitimate copy, go elsewhere for help.

If this doesn't happen on any other versions of vista, then your PCI (Pretty Crappy Inside) Graphix card needs to get trashed for at least an AGP.

It sounds to me like your system is bottlenecking at your GFX card. Try lowering the screen res to 800 x 600 and see if it still is laggy.

The most recent legit copy (5219 i think) is slow on my 3.0GHz 512MB ATI x300 system (PCIe).

PEOPLE instead of posting each time saying ur normal crap about pirate this and illegal that, simply hit the report button and leave it to the mods, instead of flaming topics with your pointless opion of how your an outstanding Neowinian citizen because you whine on to the rest of the board each time someone posts something they shouldn?t

simply report it and ignore it, ITS THAT SIMPLE

and before anyone starts im running a legal copy of XP

NOW, back to the subject at hand! Why Vista Build 5231 is so slow.

PS hes not asking for a WAREZ OR A CRACK SO HE AINT BREAKING THE RULES, had he not said how he got his copy you wouldn?t of felt the need to post crap

Whats wrong with pirating a beta copy of a beta??? ok technically its illegal, but to be honest if i was bill gates it would do more good than bad, more people testing it.. the only reason they don't make it public is because then it would have to be a proper, perfect demo. because more people would be intrigged to try it, the people who downlod this from "warez" sites, they obviously are interested enough to find and download it.

586681680[/snapback]

That is NOT the only reason it is not public.

Here are a few:

1) Before any build is released to the public or shown in a public demo, it is reviewed to ensure that all intellectual property revealed isproperly protected>. By leaking these builds, Microsoft's intellectual property is endangered.

2) Before being released to the public, certain features or functions may be removed/disabled to protect Microsoft trade secrets. Leaking builds without this treatment may give an edge to competitors.

3) Before being released to the public, work is done to ensure that the build gives as accurate of a representation of the final product as possible. If a build leaks out from some random lab that's experimenting with some DRM-based research, that isn't ever planned to actually be released, it could cause a media fiasco and give a false impressino of Microsoft's intentions as a company.

4) It's illegal.

There are other reasons. If you install a leaked build and it hoses your system, are you going to be angry at Microsoft? Maybe you'd realize that it was your mistake, but not everybody.

How many people have used or seen unreleased builds and formed disfavorable opinions of Vista based on incorrect information?

If this build is running poorly for you, I'd suggest that it's as good a reason as any to go back to a legally obtained, finished and supported operating system.

Edited by threedaysdwn

Here is a report from CPU-Z on my system:

Name #~ Intel Pentium 4

Code Name #~Northwood

Specification #~Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.20GHz

Family / Model / Stepping #~F 2 4

Extended Family / Model #~0 0

Brand ID #~9

Package #~mPGA-478

Core Stepping #~B0

Technology #~0.13 ?

Supported Instructions Sets #~MMX, SSE, SSE2

CPU Clock Speed #~2192.8 MHz

Clock multiplier #~x 22.0

Front Side Bus Frequency #~99.7 MHz

Bus Speed #~398.7 MHz

L1 Data Cache #~8 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size

L1 Trace Cache #~12 K?ops, 8-way set associative

L2 Cache #~512 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size

L2 Speed #~2192.8 MHz (Full)

L2 Location #~On Chip

L2 Data Prefetch Logic #~yes

L2 Bus Width #~256 bits

Mainboard and chipset

Motherboard manufacturer #~Dell Computer Corporation

Motherboard model #~07W080, A00

BIOS vendor #~Mitac International

BIOS revision #~A02

BIOS release date #~03/24/2003

Chipset #~Intel i845GL rev. B1

Southbridge #~Intel 82801DB (ICH4) rev. 02

Memory

DRAM Type #~DDR-SDRAM

DRAM Size #~1024 MBytes

DRAM Frequency #~132.9 MHz

FSB:DRAM #~3:4

CAS# Latency #~2.0 clocks

RAS# to CAS# #~3 clocks

RAS# Precharge #~3 clocks

Cycle Time (TRAS) #~6 clocks

DRAM Idle Timer #~16 clocks

# of memory modules #~2

Module 0 #~Infineon DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 512 MBytes

Module 1 #~Infineon DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 512 MBytes

Software

Windows version #~Microsoft Windows NT6.0 Professional (Build 5231)

DirectX version #~9.0c

good thing you didn't give your "friends" email and address, if you aren't a qualified

beta tester, then you are not suppose to be running it.

It's still B-E-T-A.....not ready.....duh...

:alien:

Actually, it isn't. No, I MYSELF didn't get it legally, but my friend who is an MVP for Microsoft, got it from them legally.

586681565[/snapback]

PEOPLE instead of posting each time saying ur normal crap about pirate this and illegal that, simply hit the report button and leave it to the mods, instead of flaming topics with your pointless opion of how your an outstanding Neowinian citizen because you whine on to the rest of the board each time someone posts something they shouldn?t

simply report it and ignore it, ITS THAT SIMPLE

and before anyone starts im running a legal copy of XP

NOW, back to the subject at hand! Why Vista Build 5231 is so slow.

586681853[/snapback]

It's slow because it's an unreleased unsupported interim pre-BETA build. That's the best answer you're going to get out of me.

I didn't report it because I'm not sure if it's a Neowin policy issue or not. However, I think it's important for people here to understand that leaking and spreading these buildcan hurt Microsoftb>. Maybe you don't care, but I sure do.

the problem is the graphics card. You need as a minimum a directx9 card which the fx range is not. The fx range cant do directx 9 properly and so visa errr vista will lag. Just disable themes for now and look at replacing your graphics card with a pci express card 7800 or 6800 should do the job if your preference is nvidia. Also bear in mind the drivers for visa err vista arnt 100% optomized yet so there will be some drivers issues.

586681722[/snapback]

That's not true - the FX range does support DX9 (PS 2.0) just fine. It's not terribly speedy in games, but I doubt that it's the cause of the slowdown in this case.

A fresh reinstallation might help your purpose.

Before doing that, you might try uninstalling all the driver, especially the Broadcom driver and the graphic card driver then use Driver cleaner pro to clean their traces before reinstalling them.

To those neowinians who attacked him, remember what neowinians should do: "help first, ask later". If you don't want to help him or just want to make fun of him, please get out of the thread. You are not welcomed here.

To admins: those are what I want to say, if you want to ban me and my account for what I said above, please go ahead and do it. I did what I feel right.

That's not true - the FX range does support DX9 (PS 2.0) just fine. It's not terribly speedy in games, but I doubt that it's the cause of the slowdown in this case.

586681921[/snapback]

I agree with you.

Yes, when I initially installed, it sayed Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 in the Display Properties; now it says Default Monitor.

586681813[/snapback]

By looking at that info, clearly you don't have the right drivers installed for your graphics card. But don't expect to find drivers that will work though. Nvidia's Vista drivers are still only in alpha, so chances are they will not work at all on some configurations.

If the only reason why you need a copy of Vista is to develop your applications, then couldn't you just use the Windows Vista SDK and WinFX SDK on WindowsXP? I'm not sure if that is possible, but if it does work then you will have access to all of the Vista APIs without the need for a copy of Vista Beta. If your friend has a legit copy of Vista Beta, then he should have access to legit copies of the SDKs too.

Thankyou, baihumon, and others who are sticking up for me. I don't understand why you are making such a big deal out of it. Are you losing money over me wanting to develop applications for Vista? No. Microsoft isn't either; so just drop it. It's not like im going to be spreading this to anyone. I am trying this BETA to see if its the platform to move to for it's big release, or to just stick with my LEGAL copy of Windows XP, and continue developing for it.

So why exactly are you running a leaked version of 5231?

What technology are you developing for on Vista that you can't develop for on XP? Avalon? Indigo? .NET 2? All of those are available on XP.

most likely a stray memory leak. Do a reinstall and just use the drivers Vista "ships" with, not downloaded. After you get finished checking out vista, just reinstall XP, simple as that. You don't need net or OpenGl support with Vista, for gaming, use XP!