Theoretical question..

Hi all.

I'm new to this forum, but read neowin on a weekly basis?

Here is my question:

I have windows xp pro installed on my hda. I also have a free NTFS partition on my hdb.

I would like to install there windows vista (build 5231), to dual boot with xp.

I would like to test this system (vista) for couple of days, and after that simply erase it off my hdbDo you think it will be possible to simply format the partition on hdb from windows xp's Disk Management, and then run the FIXMBR from recovery console?b>

I'm asking this because I only got 512MB RAM on my computer, and running Vista from VirtualPC uses 256MB tops, so I want to install Vista as another OS, and use the fully 512MB.

Is there an easy way to install Vista on a physical HD, and get rid of that couple of days later without and problems?

Thank you very much,

Guy.

well wasn't no problem for me when i installed it on another partition. Just format it later from Windows XP then changed the boot.ini to always boot to XP. You can change that in XP under System Properties, Advanced Tab then startup and recovery.

well wasn't no problem for me when i installed it on another partition. Just format it later from Windows XP then changed the boot.ini to always boot to XP. You can change that in XP under System Properties, Advanced Tab then startup and recovery.

Oh, Thank you so very much!!

hmmm.. Just figuring out that I will have to install it with Daemon-Tools (no DVD on my comp). This can cause any problem? (I mean, there is a restart somewhere at the end of the installation...)

Thanks.

I wasn't sure either that I will be able to do that with dameon, so I just copied all the files to an HD, and isntalled from there.

Went great.

Another question: after running "fixntfs.exe -xp" I can't boot to Vista (unless running again "fixntfs.exe -lh".. Is there a way to fix that???