Colors in space

hey i was just wondering, i never really knew or not but do planets and other objects in space have color, or is it cuase of the camera filters we use, cause i know there are ones like infared, xray, and gamma, and stuff liek that. but i was wondering do planets and stars actually have colors like that or are they a, odd color, like a faded red, or blue, or somethin dark in color. and another part, is, if our sun was a blue star, would our light be blue, instead of yellowish?

Yes they do have colour (british spelling! ;)). You can check out the Nasa JPL site for true colour photos of planets and probably other stuff too.

eg: True Colour Jupiter

A lot of photos of galaxies etc have fake colour, or have been coloured to represent what it would look like. Not sure why they do this. Maybe other wavelengnths are easier to pick up, problems with Redshift etc. Would like to know actually :)

Well, you can't really define a true picture. We see between a certain set of wavelengths of light, because that's what our sun puts out the most of. Many stars will emit much more energy in wavelengths we cannot see, hence why many things have "fake" color added. Nasa often shifts the wavelengths over to our visible specturm to get a better picture.

Well colour is a facet of light. We have colour here on Earth, so naturally there will be an an abundance of colour elsewhere in the Universe too. Mars is not called the red planet by accident. Those images are real.

GJ

Well colour is a facet of light. We have colour here on Earth, so naturally there will be an an abundance of colour elsewhere in the Universe too. Mars is not called the red planet by accident. Those images are real.

GJ

586699644[/snapback]

Sorta ;)

Nasa adds in red for the press photos :laugh:

so if i was in space looking at those jupitar and stuff, theyd be pretty much they colors we see in pictures, just somewhat a dark faded because its not all spiffied up to make it look pretty in books.

Have you ever looked through a telescope?

I would recommend it if you haven't.

You will see all sorts of colours in the night sky.

The universe is certainly not black and white.

GJ

Well the both look pretty colourful to me. The second image is a lot more realistic looking - and there are clearly a lot more colours than just red. The point I was making was I was trying to let this guy know that the universe really is full of colour - as he appeared to imagine that he was somehow living on a Wizard of Oz movie set, where only the world he lived in was in colour - while everything else was in black and white.

Lol it would almost be funny if he lived in Kansas and had aked this - but no such luck there I guess.

Anyway I wonder why Nasa add so much of that horrible red colour to their press photos?. The second image looks much better and much more varied.

I hope they don't do that if they ever get round to sending people there.

GJ

noo i dont think everything is black and white, i was thinking like, since things like the moon if there isnt light on them, if their colors are darker, and harder to see, since it be like looking at night toward them, and i live in pennsylvania so lol.

Like I said, why don't you actually try looking at the sky to find out? Most large towns have an observatory that the public can visit. Or just buy a telescope.

As a hint this is an image of Cygnus (also known as the swan) (which if I am not mistaken is also an image of what you posted) taken with a normal long lens 35mm camera on a 10 minute exposure looking at the same part of the sky. CYGNUS.JPG

No fancy tricks here.

As I said, we are not living in Kansas - so yes the sky really is full of colour. Sometimes scientists use special filters to be able to see light at a certain wavelength as this tells them a lot about the properties of the gas clouds that the light has to pass through before it gets here, but this does not mean that scientists somehow feel compelled to fake all the colours that we commonly see in the night sky. Even with the naked eye, on a good clear night in optimal conditions, it is possible to see more colours in the night sky than it is possible to count.

These kinds of question remind me of a short story I once read by Isaac Asimov called "Nightfall" where he spoke of a civilisation who had never seen the night sky, because the planet they lived on had two suns - so for them it was always perpetual daylight. Then one day one of their suns died and for the first time they learned they were not at the center of everything, as suddenly they could see the millions of other stars just like theirs in the night sky. Essentially the story speaks of the way this particular civilisation was driven mad by realising just how insignificant in the scheme of things they really were - because until they actually looked at the night sky, until they actually experienced a nightfall, they had been happy to live in more or less ignorant bliss, secure in the knowledge that they had been created by God and and had been given dominion over everything that they could see.

That is why i hate big cities and their light pollution so much, because the sad fact is that most people who live in big cities will grow up in utter ignorance of the beauty and magnificence that is the night sky that surrounds each and every one of us - and are never as a result inspired to ponder on the nature of their own existence and our position in the Universe. I often wonder if perhaps Asimov got it right? I mean, what if for one night all of the lights across the entire world were turned off and people were forced to look at the sky? Would our society be inspired by this to take a step back from the brink? Would it help to bring us together? Would it make us cooperate more? Or would society simply fall apart as Asimov predicted?

In any case ultimately we don't have any real excuse, as unlike the characters in Asimov story, we don't have a second sun blocking our view of the night sky. Most of us have cars, so we can always drive to a remote location and look at the stars - even if it is with a simple pair of binoculars.

IMHO a man who has never looked at the night sky and been awe struck by the amazing things he sees there, is a man who has never lived a full and proper life. Spend a night or 3 in the wilderness with just yourself, a camera and a sketchpad and then come back and tell us then if you still think the Universe really was made in black and white.

GJ

Edited by raid517

• 4 weeks later...
Hubble doesn't use film at all. If one was to take a telescope you can see those colors, interstellar objects are not colorless.

586822042[/snapback]

Indeed rigput - although you might not see quite all of the colours that NASA adds.

They do like to over emphasise things a little for the public.

GJ