• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Best Buy liers?

Acro84    0

NOTE: You can move this topic if you want, but It had to do with me buying it for my 360, so I posted it here.

Anyway, so I just bought me a CRT HDTV for my 360 about an hour ago and I was asking one of the head honcho?s of Best Buy what he thinks about the KD-30XS955. I was telling him why I personally think CRT is the best in general... The TV I chose clearly had a better picture then several more expensive ones around it. I look around for another 20 minutes making up my mind, then I finally made up my mind of what I want to buy. I told him why I think CRT is the best... he tries to say I'm wrong

I just have a few questions, true or false.

Plasma and LCD have life spans from 15-22 years and CRT's only 5-8?

LCD doesn't burn out, you won't have to buy an extra part costing you $300 down the road?

Plasma has the best picture out of all screens, even CRT?

SHARP is THE best in LCD screens, not Sony? but Sony is the best in CRT?

Was this guy trying to get me to buy an LCD because they cost more? (sure seems like it to me)

I don't know, why was this guy so against CRT? I figured after all the previews I?ve seen and negative feedback about LCD's and Plasma's that they are crap. If CRT's are so good, why would this guy nearly bashing them the way he did? He was about in his 30's. The TV's he was pointing at were clearly over $2,000. I think that's too much and maybe he just wants me to pay for the most expensive one. (isn't that what all salesman try to do?)

I would like some real facts here! I want to know the scientific truth to this.

bangbang023    31

Another "latest is greatest" numbnut. I work at best buy, let me try to break it down.

1. Plamsas (good ones) will give you 10 - 12 years until they reach half bright (aka half life). LCD's generally give you 10 - 15 years before total burn out. CRT's a less predictable and there is no general idea of how long a specific tube will last.

2. LCD does burn out. The backlights have a limited life span and after the previously mentioned 10 - 15 years, it's gone. The $300 part he's referring to is the light bulb on a DLP or LCD Projection TV.

3. A good plasma (Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony) will have a very sharp picture and they can be better than CRT. There are also some very good LCD's that can beat out a CRT. Then again, it's really up to your eyes in each case.

4. Right now, Samsung and Sony have the best panels in their sets and the Sony XBR's are the best complete LCD Tv's followed by the Samsung LNR line.

5. The guy simply seems convinced that CRT technology is gone. As an experienced BB salesman, I can assure you my first HD set will also be a tube.

On a side note, LCD's and Plasma's aren't "crap". Just like there are good and bad CRT's, there are good and bad flat panel sets. You need to look at the individual sets and not the technology as a whole.

FrancoisC    38

Also, don't worry about him trying to sell you the one which cost most or not, we are not paid at commission at BestBuy! Not that I mind, i'm in the "Geek Squad" anyway ;)

sn00pie    2

Aren't Plasma's are alot better than LCDs because don't LCDs have a terrible veiwing angles?

bangbang023    31
From what he said, its not too far from the truth really IMO....

586702492[/snapback]

The salesman?! You have got to be kidding me.

Jeremy1    0
don't LCDs have a terrible veiwing angles?

586702470[/snapback]

Only the crappiest LCDs these days really have a problem with viewing angles.

bangbang023    31
Aren't Plasma's are alot better than LCDs because don't LCDs have a terrible veiwing angles?

586702470[/snapback]

Not all LCD's do. The Sammys and Sony's have software to give a much higer contrast ratio than average sets and that helps the angle greatly.

Acro84    0

I also hear plasma's are better then LCD. I think they both have their ups and downs and the down on a plasma is worse then the down on an LCD, and that is why people say LCD is better... again, I have no proof of that. Anyway, the Sony KD-30XS955, it's Direct View right? I hear nothing but goodness coming from Direct View's. I am going to assume It's Direct View, I never looked into that... please tell me it is. If it's not! I'm going straight back to get my money.

quick    2

From what he said, its not too far from the truth really IMO....

Master Shake    1

I got a 51" Sony HDTV projection not that long ago... I hope it is a good buy. It's SCARY buying these things because you're not really sure what you're going to get and how long the technology is going to last, like with a computer. Now there is going to be 1080p?! what the hell...

bangbang023    31
Hmm no answer to my last post... Now I'm nervous. I guess I'll just have to hang around a bit longer.

586702521[/snapback]

Yes, it's direct view.

Acro84    0

Hmm no answer to my last post... Now I'm nervous. I guess I'll just have to hang around a bit longer.

Jeremy1    0

IMO, CRT HDTVs are only for people who can't afford the good stuff.

quick    2

Well i should clarify, his numbers are off... but the gist of it is not far off

LCDs dont fade colors like CRTs do, they last longer in that sense... most CRT at least cheapers ones die fast and hard.

Sharp are reguarded highly for LCD Flat Panels (from what i hear anyway)

LCD proj do have bulbs that burn out, but i think hes talking about flat panel, and those backlights as you said 10-15 years ain't bad...

CRT's are just about impossible to fix if they die unless you know how to do it yourself if thats even possible... No idea about fixing LCD Flat Panels so i can't say much about that...

Plasma has the best picture out of all screens, even CRT? <-- I don't know much about plasmas, but IMO from what i've seen in the stores they are the worst picture of all types of TV's except the regular smaller CRT tv's.

Never really looked into CRT HDTV's when i was buying mine, i pretty much wrote them off because of

1. Size - My god those things are redicoulously huge

2. Weight - My god those things weigh 2 tons... trying moving to a 3RD floor apartment with that thing

3. Viewing angles - Horrible imo

4. Glare - You need to watch the TV in a dungeon

5. Power Usage

etc....

So IMO him pushing LCD on you over CRT isn't so bad, hell i would be doing the same thing, or at least DLP.

IK47    0

^ LOL, I got a 26" Toshiba CRT HDTV as an eid gift last year. Costed $599, and came with 1 year of HDTV digital cable. I had to spend $180 for a stand. Thats $897 including taxes. I guess I can't afford the good stuff.

Right now, the prices of TFTs have dropped. It doesn't make sense anymore to buy a CRT, go for the best and get a plasma.

When it comes to displays (TVs, Monitors), always get a brand name (preferably Sony), and the biggest you can afford.

Jeremy1    0
You guys who bash CRT's have not taken the time to look at some really good ones.

586702560[/snapback]

The picture quality is important, but it isn't everything. Size and weight are two important factors that also enter the equation.

bangbang023    31

You guys who bash CRT's have not taken the time to look at some really good ones. They can still provide some of the best images on the market. It's a shame most retail locations have all crts on an SD signal and not HD where applicable.

SnowRanger13    27
I got a 51" Sony HDTV projection not that long ago... I hope it is a good buy.  It's SCARY buying these things because you're not really sure what you're going to get and how long the technology is going to last, like with a computer.  Now there is going to be 1080p?!  what the hell...

586702529[/snapback]

Ya and we wont see any 1080p TV channels for a long time, to much bandwidth. PS3 supports up to 2 1080p TV's hooked up to it but that's overkill, frame rate wont be running great (on most games) and not a lot of games will support 1080p so if you have a 1080i or 780p TV your fine really. I have a Samsung HL-R5064W DLP 50" TV and it's native resolution is 720P (it converts everything to 720p even 1080i). From what I have heard CRTs are pretty good HDTVs and like what was said before the life of CRT is really unknown.

mopper    0
IMO, CRT HDTVs are only for people who can't afford the good stuff.

586702542[/snapback]

i got a crt hdtv as my main gaming display because imo crts are king for gaming. i own 2 plasmas right now and can easily afford more but i decided to go with crt. my xbox games look better on my crt than when i put it on one of my plasmas.

The picture quality is important, but it isn't everything. Size and weight are two important factors that also enter the equation.

imma agree with u my 34 inch widescreen is a huge beast, i need help when i need to move it.

bangbang023    31
^ LOL, I got a 26" Toshiba CRT HDTV as an eid gift last year.  Costed $599, and came with 1 year of HDTV digital cable.  I had to spend $180 for a stand.  Thats $897 including taxes.  I guess I can't afford the good stuff.

Right now, the prices of TFTs have dropped.  It doesn't make sense anymore to buy a CRT, go for the best and get a plasma.

When it comes to displays (TVs, Monitors), always get a brand name (preferably Sony), and the biggest you can afford.

586702554[/snapback]

No, that's the worst way to shop. First of all, LCD is still not good for everything, especially since not every broadcast is in HD and CRT's still kick ass when it comes to handling non-HD signals. Also, bigger is not always better. You need to take into account space, distance from the set, and the proximity of walls to your viewing area.

bangbang023    31
The picture quality is important, but it isn't everything.  Size and weight are two important factors that also enter the equation.

586702565[/snapback]

Without a doubt, but if you cna fit the set, a good CRT (like Sony's SFP tubes) will give you an amazing picture. Plus, as stated a few posts up (god Neowin's slowness makes replying a bitch), the technology still handles non-HD broadcasts the best.

SnowRanger13    27

Hey bangbang023 how come every time my dad go's to best buy he doesn't get someone like you? lol

I always know what I'm looking for I'm in and out. My dad gets drawn into there chat and they usually don't give him the best advice, You seem like you know a good amount.

bangbang023    31
Hey bangbang023 how come every time my dad go's to best buy he doesn't get someone like you? lol

I always know what I'm looking for I'm in and out. My dad gets drawn into there chat and they usually don't give him the best advice, You seem like you know a good amount.

586702578[/snapback]

Unfortunately, not everyone is as passionate about the stuff like I can be. I'm actually trying to get out of the department, though. One manager wants me to take a Supervisor position in another department and I'm considering it.

As for the size of the Sony 34" CRT's, yes, they are very large. It takes three of us at work to get the thing up on it's high shelf.

Master Shake    1

CRTs (good ones) have a great picture, imo. I really love my Sony. The problem as far as I know is size and weight. A 51" crt is HEAVY. I don't have to worry about moving it because the place I'm buying it from moves it for me. :-) The bastards scratched the top of the cabinet last time they moved it though.. but they gave me a 10% discount. The tubes wear out but can be replaced. Can a backlight in a lcd be replaced if it fades/burns out? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I have no idea. CRTs are also a lot cheaper, which is why I bought one.

You know what else is good? Forties that cost a dollar. *glug glug*

bangbang, I'm glad to see someone who cares about this kinda stuff and is honest. I would think people that didn't bull**** customers would do better than the others.

JiveMasterT    0

as a graphic designer, my opinion is that CRTs are where it's at.