• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Best Buy liers?

bangbang023    31

Yes, LCD backlights can be replaced. It's something you'd definitely want someone with experience to do, though.

ahfunaki    0

I did not know you worked at Best Buy bang...

I wonder how many people here do...

Anyways, I am cheap and bought the 27" Insignia HDTV ( couldn't beat the $200 price tag, and was sure to get the PSP on it ) but I am very happy with the quality of the HD picture...

^ has nothing to do with this thread...

XIII    27

My experience is: don't buy from best buy, there is still lots of other stores to choose from

Wakeman214    0

yeah, I work @ BestBuy also and if you have a problem 9 times out of 10 it's the salesperson not a storewide problem, I personally LOVE BestBuy and shopped there all the time so I decided to work there, if you have a problem, do what I do... ask politely for another salesperson and ask them to compare a couple of the TVs you like, not the ones they like :yes:

Acro84    0

Alot of good opinions here. I don't plan on taking it back after hearing everybody here. The TV I baught was a 30", which is good enough for me. It's only 150lb so I can easily tag it along with me as long as I have an extra hand with me. The other HDTV I wanted to buy was 250lb and it was only 4 inches bigger *shrugs* and didn't have 16:9.

SourDieseL NYC    0

I'd listen to bangbang, now if I could only fold him up and put him in my pocket when I go to make my purchases hehe

I don't want to downplay how far CRT's have came along, I'd say they would be the best bang for buck if you have space to place the unit and a decent viewing distance. Now I don't know much about the technology behind LCDs and plasmas, I just know that on a case by case basis, plasma's are losing hence the rapid downward spiral in prices.

I looked back 5yrs from where I am at now and honestly considered looking at plasmas and LCDs but 8K+ in price quickly deterred me from even entering that section of the store.

If you have the space, the liquidable funds, and wall real estate, I'd say go for flatpanels (plasma or lcd).

Deciever    0

supposedly DLP backlight last 80,000hrs which is as long as if not longer than most backlights in a plasma tv. The DLP mirrors themselves have been tested for what I think was 1 trillion rotations which equals 20 years and none of the mirrors had failure or broken hinges and color and such does not fade over time and your blacks are commonly blacker with DLP vs LCD or Plasma.

imo projection is what I like and mine is a DLP projector, yea I will have to invest a few hundred in a lamp every few years but that is an investment I am willing to make. The lamp in projectors though commonly last 2,000-4,000hrs. mine is the latter

bangbang023    31
supposedly DLP backlight last 80,000hrs which is as long as if not longer than most backlights in a plasma tv. The DLP mirrors themselves have been tested for what I think was 1 trillion rotations which equals 20 years and none of the mirrors had failure or broken hinges and color and such does not fade over time and your blacks are commonly blacker with DLP vs LCD or Plasma.

imo projection is what I like and mine is a DLP projector, yea I will have to invest a few hundred in a lamp every few years but that is an investment I am willing to make. The lamp in projectors though commonly last 2,000-4,000hrs. mine is the latter

586704098[/snapback]

There is no backlight in DLP. It's a bulb and the bulb lasts 6,000 to 8,000 hours. They cost anywhere from $200 to $400 to replace.

+Human.Online    8,608

Wow, BangBang, you seem to know your stuff. Over here I was buying my first plasma and no sales guys could even be bothered to help. We have 3 major chain stores (Dixons, Comet and Curries - who I NOW know to stay away from). They seriously couldn't be arsed, and tried to sell me models without wanting to demo.

All the TVs were being run off a shared Coax cable (UHF modulated ~DVD output), When I asked to see it over component, they looked blankly at me. I explained, and one guy even said "You seriously think I'm gonna move a DVD player here and plug it in?". Um, yes, cos I'm spending ????.

Eventually I went to a store called Richar Sounds who not only got me a good deal but were so helpful and seemed to enjoy telling me about the differences, educating without patronising, and were really keen to show the difference between types of cable, etc. They got my money and I got my plasma!

Acro84    0
Wow, BangBang, you seem to know your stuff.  Over here I was buying my first plasma and no sales guys could even be bothered to help.  We have 3 major chain stores (Dixons, Comet and Curries - who I NOW know to stay away from).  They seriously couldn't be arsed, and tried to sell me models without wanting to demo.

All the TVs were being run off a shared Coax cable (UHF modulated ~DVD output),  When I asked to see it over component, they looked blankly at me.  I explained, and one guy even said "You seriously think I'm gonna move a DVD player here and plug it in?".  Um, yes, cos I'm spending ????.

Eventually I went to a store called Richar Sounds who not only got me a good deal but were so helpful and seemed to enjoy telling me about the differences, educating without patronising, and were really keen to show the difference between types of cable, etc.  They got my money and I got my plasma!

586704648[/snapback]

Actually, if you've done some heavy research when you bought your first TV, you would be a little more knowledgeable about this the 2nd time around. I figure that's where a few people are now. Bang, etc...

bangbang023    31
Actually, if you've done some heavy research when you bought your first TV,  you would be a little more knowledgeable about this the 2nd time around. I figure that's where a few people are now. Bang, etc...

586705633[/snapback]

Nope, I still have a 19" rca from '98 lol. I just have always taken interest in this stuff and being around it all day gets me intrigued enough to read up about it online or in magazines such as Sound and Vision.

Acro84    0

Ok so I try to hook cable up to this bad boy and find out It only gives me the basic TV channels, why? It's like I don't get cable on this TV at all! It sounds and looks absolutely incredible. I see a slot in the back of the TV that allows a CableCARD... Does this mean I absolutely have no choice but to buy a CableCARD just to see cable TV? I'm already aware of all the downsides of using a CableCARd and I don't want one. I just want to connect my damn cable coord into the back and watch TV, that's it. Maybe the mode is set wrong or It's something simple that I haven't figured out yet... This is really annoying me right now :rolleyes:

I also have a question about High-Definition; I have several DVD's in my house and I was wondering if they all come through in HD? or do I have to buy a special DVD movie that's made in HD? I guess in that case I won't be able to enjoy HD untill I get more HD movies/games.

Is there a way to change the resolution and refresh rate on these TV's? 16:9... or is this all automatic?

EDIT: Another question that crossed my mind... Can I hook a CRT up to my computer and use it as a Monitor? That would be nice. I do know LCD's are probably the best for monitors, but this is what I got and I'm curious.

Edited by Acro84

SmacK    0
Another "latest is greatest" numbnut. I work at best buy, let me try to break it down.

1. Plamsas (good ones) will give you 10 - 12 years until they reach half bright (aka half life). LCD's generally give you 10 - 15 years before total burn out. CRT's a less predictable and there is no general idea of how long a specific tube will last.

2. LCD does burn out. The backlights have a limited life span and after the previously mentioned 10 - 15 years, it's gone. The $300 part he's referring to is the light bulb on a DLP or LCD Projection TV.

3. A good plasma (Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony) will have a very sharp picture and they can be better than CRT. There are also some very good LCD's that can beat out a CRT. Then again, it's really up to your eyes in each case.

4. Right now, Samsung and Sony have the best panels in their sets and the Sony XBR's are the best complete LCD Tv's followed by the Samsung LNR line.

5. The guy simply seems convinced that CRT technology is gone. As an experienced BB salesman, I can assure you my first HD set will also be a tube.

On a side note, LCD's and Plasma's aren't "crap". Just like there are good and bad CRT's, there are good and bad flat panel sets. You need to look at the individual sets and not the technology as a whole.

586702447[/snapback]

Thanks for the information. This is going to help me purchase my next TV when I move to California!

Acro84    0

Another thing came across my mind, what is "ghost-ing"? How would I know if my TV has ghosting? especially on games.

waurbind    0

imo crts are still the best technology out there -they are cheap, produce excelent picture quality, and can last for 20 years or more. in terms of getting the most bang for your buck a crt is the way to go

bangbang023    31
Ok so I try to hook cable up to this bad boy and find out It only gives me the basic TV channels, why? It's like I don't get cable on this TV at all! It sounds and looks absolutely incredible. I see a slot in the back of the TV that allows a CableCARD... Does this mean I absolutely have no choice but to buy a CableCARD just to see cable TV? I'm already aware of all the downsides of using a CableCARd and I don't want one. I just want to connect my damn cable coord into the back and watch TV, that's it. Maybe the mode is set wrong or It's something simple that I haven't figured out yet... This is really annoying me right now  :rolleyes:

I also have a question about High-Definition; I have several DVD's in my house and I was wondering if they all come through in HD? or do I have to buy a special DVD movie that's made in HD? I guess in that case I won't be able to enjoy HD untill I get more HD movies/games.

Is there a way to change the resolution and refresh rate on these TV's? 16:9... or is this all automatic?

EDIT: Another question that crossed my mind... Can I hook a CRT up to my computer and use it as a Monitor? That would be nice. I do know LCD's are probably the best for monitors, but this is what I got and I'm curious.

586707350[/snapback]

You will either need to switch it to "cable" in the antenna selection or simply get a box from your cable company. From the sounds of it, you do not even have digital cable service which means you will not fully be able to enjoy the set you just bought.

As for hooking up your PC. You could probably get a VGA -> comonent cable and try it, but it will still have a very low reffresh rate and will be unreadable because of it.

Ghosting should not occur on a CRT so you do not have to worry about it.

IK47    0
No, that's the worst way to shop. First of all, LCD is still not good for everything, especially since not every broadcast is in HD and CRT's still kick ass when it comes to handling non-HD signals. Also, bigger is not always better. You need to take into account space, distance from the set, and the proximity of walls to your viewing area.

586702568[/snapback]

I agree with you when you say that CRTs have advantages over LCDs. However there are still reasons not to buy a CRT. I would personally still not recommend anyone to buy a CRT.

First of all, there is the aesthetic appeal which comes with TFTs that CRTs don't have. My CRT looks so odd in my bedroom, as it sticks out 75cm from the wall. If I had held out for one year, I would have been able to afford a similiarily sized LCD from Samsung. If I would have been able to afford a HDTFT a year ago, I would have not bought this HDCRT.

Secondly, the weight of the CRT is a major turnoff. For most people, a TV is not something that moves around much, thus weight is not a major factor to consider. However, as someone who plans to change residence often in the next 4 years, a lightweight LCD would definately benefit me, as I would not have to leave it at home.

Finally, the picture quality of a CRT is not on par with today's LCDs. I have an HDTV box and watch most of my programs in 1080i (or 720p, I can't tell the difference). However, whenever I go to BestBuy, their LCDs look sharper, brighter, and appear to have more contrast. I don't know enough to give you the specs, but as far as I know, LCDs display much better than CRTs.

S7R1K3R    9

who cares why are u gonna buy something and expect to last 10 years? do u use the tv u bought 10 years ago then why worry about it. tv's real lifespan is about 4 - 5 years and after than its outdated by something better. just like a computer. so dont get worked about how long or how bright something is later on. get the best picture now and enjoy it.

Acro84    0
I agree with you when you say that CRTs have advantages over LCDs.? However there are still reasons not to buy a CRT.? I would personally still not recommend anyone to buy a CRT.

First of all, there is the aesthetic appeal which comes with TFTs that CRTs don't have.? My CRT looks so odd in my bedroom, as it sticks out 75cm from the wall.? If I had held out for one year, I would have been able to afford a similiarily sized LCD from Samsung.? If I would have been able to afford a HDTFT a year ago, I would have not bought this HDCRT.

Secondly, the weight of the CRT is a major turnoff.? For most people, a TV is not something that moves around much, thus weight is not a major factor to consider.? However, as someone who plans to change residence often in the next 4 years, a lightweight LCD would definately benefit me, as I would not have to leave it at home.

Finally, the picture quality of a CRT is not on par with today's LCDs.? I have an HDTV? box and watch most of my programs in 1080i (or 720p, I can't tell the difference).? However, whenever I go to BestBuy, their LCDs look sharper, brighter, and appear to have more contrast.? I don't know enough to give you the specs, but as far as I know, LCDs display much better than CRTs.

586721186[/snapback]

I find CTR to have a better picture then an LCD. Colors, blacks, shadings, etc. Unless of course we are talking about a $5,000 Plasma screen. That's my opinion, but all of them look good. I'm watching this TV now in 1080i HD and wow, I can't imagine anything being more clear. I mean how much more clearn can a screen possibly get? I only payed a fraction for this TV and it compares to TV's that are worth 2k and over.

kirk26    0
who cares why are u gonna buy something and expect to last 10 years?  do u use the tv u bought 10 years ago then why worry about it.  tv's real lifespan is about 4 - 5 years and after than its outdated by something better.  just like a computer.  so dont get worked about how long or how bright something is later on.  get the best picture now and enjoy it.

586721234[/snapback]

I had my TV that I bought back in high school for 15 years.

+warwagon    13,205
There is no backlight in DLP. It's a bulb and the bulb lasts 6,000 to 8,000 hours. They cost anywhere from $200 to $400 to replace.

586704584[/snapback]

so if you had the tv on 24 /7 it would only last 1 year?

bangbang023    31
so if you had the tv on 24 /7 it would only last 1 year?

586731968[/snapback]

correct. the bulb is expendable.

Deciever    0

586704584[/snapback]

yea I meant bulb, obviously light is not going to pass through the mirrors, they reflect.

And yes that was my mistake the site or site(s) have typos they say 80,000 when they mean 8,000 and the bulb costs is in the range you say but they have dropped from when they first came which was around $600 a pop.