Xbox 360 huge powersupply :confirmed:

Aaryn
i don't care,it will be the best next-gen console around anyways

586715635[/snapback]

Yeah I think it will be too, the fanboys will bash it for things like this, the way they bashed the original for size but thats not preventable. I think this is a non issue and people are making a bigger deal than they should

MadFerIt

Wasn't there another walmart display where they showed off a power supply, only it was much smaller? I'm pretty sure that will be the final model. Bit strange that some of the displays are using the more bulkier version.

nicedreams

Of course its big. Look at a PC which basically that is what the XBOX is anyways. The PSU in a PC is pretty big in general and I don't see it being a small PC PSU when you have to push a lot of power to the video card.

My only worry would be heat. Those power bars get pretty damn hot from other appliances I've used that have those.

MiG-

soon we wont need radiators in our houses due to all the heat-kicking electrical appliances.

Less fossil fuels for heat or Computers and Xboxes. :ninja: :rofl:

Gelob
Wasn't there another walmart display where they showed off a power supply, only it was much smaller?  I'm pretty sure that will be the final model.  Bit strange that some of the displays are using the more bulkier version.

586717224[/snapback]

That was proven to be something else, look a few pages back

Tripps

Seriously. The Xbox360 sports a triple core PPC proc, serious power in the GPU, a DVD drive, must be able to power USB (charging your controllers) as well as a hard drive, not to mention cooling fans and all the rest of the internal logic board requirements for power. Ever looked at the size of PC power supplies lately? Now then, it makes sense that it's that big. I for one would rather it be outside the console to cut down on size and more importantly, heat inside the console.

If this thing is that big of a deal, don't buy it. Easy as that.

Matrix XII
You dont have room for a 12x3x3 block? are you that tight on space in your house? do you strap yourself to the ceiling to sleep and eat off the walls?

get over your fanboysim and stop complaining.. seriously. it sa power supply. it will go behind your tv.

586710734[/snapback]

Now that was a great post! (Y)

David3k

dudes! can you not see how much more convenient this is to having a larger main unit? I hope it's a long cable

If i remember correctly, there are external PSU's for some PC cases.

of course, that is only if the chord is long enough...if the x360's power suply chord is too short, well...crap.

shaywood

(BPN) Back Page News - Me not giving a flying funk about the size of a powersupply :confirmed:

~clean

Since i dont look at my PSU dont realy care about the size of it. My laptop one is big but dont stare at it all day ....

Xab

Honestly in the electronics world a big power supply in order to have a small main unit is nothing new, Mac Mini anyone? Maybe it's not big but it's almost half the size of the computer itself, no one seems to complain. This is really water under the bridge, the 360 itself will go in your entertainment center and its power supply will just go back there too, I can't imagine more than a small handful of people actually legitimately having a real issue with this. You'd literally have to be crammed to the brim with stuff, I just can't even see it.

SkyyPunk
(BPN) Back Page News - Me not giving a flying funk about the size of a powersupply :confirmed:

586719296[/snapback]

That's not news :p

And about the wireless issue, microsoft made a statement on it:

I just received an email from Microsoft confirming that they have indeed been having issues with their Xbox 360 kiosks because of wireless interference. Apparently the 360?s wireless system can interfere with a store?s network-based inventory managment system.

They say that a solution was developed within 24 hours of the problem cropping up and that they are in the process of rolling out the fix.

Here?s the company?s official line and a Q&A:

Q: I heard Xbox 360 is interfering with retailer?s inventory system; what?s going on?

A: Our Xbox 360 retail kiosk program rolled out this week and we encountered some minor wireless interference issues that are specific to some retail environments. Since the advent of 2.4 ghz signals, such as those found in next generation consumer electronics like cordless phones, wireless routers and now, Xbox 360, some retailers have discovered that their network-based inventory management systems can be impacted by products using modern wireless signals. While retailers are constantly updating their internal management systems, sometimes new products being introduced into the market can cause this kind of temporary interference. We are working closely with our partners to provide a software solution that mitigates this problem within their retail environments. Adjustments and tweaks to kiosks of any kind are quite common once they?re deployed in a live retail environment and we consider making such adjustments a standard part of the launch process.

Q: How can I be assured that Xbox 360 isn?t going to interfere with other wireless devices in my home?

A: This issue is specific to the equipment used in a few retail environments. Xbox 360, like portable phones, wireless network routers, and Bluetooth devices emit radio frequency operate in the 2.4GHz band. Microsoft has one of the most robust testing programs in the industry and has ensured that Xbox 360 meets all FCC/ETSI requirements and rules for operation in the 2.4GHz band. It is possible that devices that do not comply with FCC/ETSI rules of operation in this band may not properly handle interference from other 2.4GHz sources. Such devices would be extremely rare in a home environment.

Source

georgevella
I'll up that one up:

061ea94b67c0d06aac827670fce3e3.th.jpg

586714993[/snapback]

what galaxy is that?

:-D

Shadrack

reminds me of my Mac Mini. Sure, the computer is small and cute, but the external power supply is about the same size and weight of the Mac Mini. Looks good for advertisements though ;).

Xab
That's not news  :p

And about the wireless issue, microsoft made a statement on it:

Source

586719920[/snapback]

You do have to give Microsoft credit for their excellent communication on the 360. Between all the candid interviews the 360 guys are giving and the constant updates, they are communicating much better than Sony or Nintendo at this point. Even to update a FAQ with this - a minor issue that most people aren't even aware of, is pretty thorough.

Bwizzel-B
I still have doubts as to that is what microsoft will be using. They're display only, we need to see a retail version out of the box.

586710590[/snapback]

Dude, it's less than a month to launch, that is the retail rig in action. You aren't going to shrink a PS like that at all.

flyakite

Yeah it's big, but in reality if it were internal the system would just be that much bigger. Yes of course you can stick it behind your tv, but personally I prefer the internal power supply on the first Xbox.

I hate having all that crap behind my tv. When you have multiple consoles, vcrs, dvd players, stereo systems, etc you can get really cluttered (I'm a neat freak). Or, what if you go to plug it into an outlet a few feet off of the floor, will there be enough cord for the brick to lay on the ground?

Either way it's not really a big deal, but me personally I prefered it when the power supply was internal. If it makes the Xbox 360 a couple inches deeper I don't care? It sits in my entertainment unit anyway, it's not like I'm trying to carry it around in my pocket.

FlibbyFlobby
Yeah it's big, but in reality if it were internal the system would just be that much bigger.  Yes of course you can stick it behind your tv, but personally I prefer the internal power supply on the first Xbox.

I hate having all that crap behind my tv.  When you have multiple consoles, vcrs, dvd players, stereo systems, etc you can get really cluttered (I'm a neat freak).  Or, what if you go to plug it into an outlet a few feet off of the floor, will there be enough cord for the brick to lay on the ground?

Either way it's not really a big deal, but me personally I prefered it when the power supply was internal.  If it makes the Xbox 360 a couple inches deeper I don't care?  It sits in my entertainment unit anyway, it's not like I'm trying to carry it around in my pocket.

586721562[/snapback]

I think alot of the idea behind is probably the temperature of it. I notice my Xbox gets quite warm, I think with the new gen tech an internal PSU would probably be a bad idea for this, as I doubt the cooling techniques used are signicantly different to the Xbox.

AsciiSmoke

They did have that big nightmare of having to replace a load of peoples power cables for safety cut-out ones (mine too) so I can understand them trying to avoid such problems in the future

zachman123

hmm... are we sure the console isn't in the power supply case and the power supply in the 360 case?