Computer Based System..

Hey guys, just looking to hear everyones opinions on home entertainment systems based arounds PCs?

I was thinking having a server and ripping dvds and music to it and then having some kind of software on all of my Windows PC's thats let the user quickly sift through the content available and play it over the network.

With the Xbox 360 coming out I was thinking it would be great to be able to play music and videos on the TV in the lounge room as well, but apparently that requires Windows Media Center edition for the server?

So if anyone already has a similar setup in place what are you running? How are you storing your DVD's (just ripping them or do you convert them to DivX?) and any advice the limitations etc? Recommended Server Specs, client software, stuff like that.

I was thinking the Xbox + 4 PC's on the network, but all of them accessing the stuff is slim but never the less support all 5 guys at once would be cool.

Hopefully this is the best place to ask. But the Xbox isn't released here till March so its not exactly something I'll be organising tomorrow. :p

Thanks inadvance. :)

to my knowledge, Windows Media Center is the way to go or so I've heard. I'm partial to it was an OS, maybe because I haven't had any hands-on with it nor done any research. I have mines running windows XP just fine, I pop in a CD and the autoplay runs, my optical out from my audigy 2zs plat works just fine with my optical in receiver. I have an ethernet line dropped behind my media LCD TV and Media Rack which will let me browse the web on a 40" HDTV LCD lol, im perfectly happy running XP Pro on my media center controller. It's fully networked with my other 3 computers so I have sharing enabled. Winamp plays my music and visuals on my LCD for me when guest are over. All in all I'm happy without using Media Center however I'd recommend reading up on it, it sounds promising!