iPod 30GB Video Review

There is no such thing as scratch-proof material. No matter how careful you are with something, it will always acquire tiny hairline scratches. You just have to deal with it.

Diamond iPods all round then :p

oh i use my ipod every day, still having that sock that came out of the box and my back still is pretty big-scratch-free. also the display is, only one scratch you really notice but only if you look close. :)

i seem to be lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

i wana get a ipod but i save money and it goes into my comp.lmao. So im going to seriously save(......)

Wait till the Zune comes out to see what thats about first because you may like that. :)

• 2 months later...

I think one topic I'd really like to know about it is the new 5th gen's ability to scrub through say a large mix (i.e. a gapless music track) file

i remember a friend of mine telling me about his 2nd gen ipod and how the battery drains quicker when the pod plays back a large file (gapless mix) -especially if u scrub through the file, or say, pause it\stop it resume from the same position again

dont know if this is true anymore for the newer models..

I think one topic I'd really like to know about it is the new 5th gen's ability to scrub through say a large mix (i.e. a gapless music track) file

i remember a friend of mine telling me about his 2nd gen ipod and how the battery drains quicker when the pod plays back a large file (gapless mix) -especially if u scrub through the file, or say, pause it\stop it resume from the same position again

dont know if this is true anymore for the newer models..

Wow, this is an old thread.

The longer the track, the more often the HD will spin up, IIRC, the 30 GB ipod only has a 32 MB buffer. If you start and pause the file a lot too, the backlight will get more use, so I can see the battery taking a hit there, not sure about the affect on buffer memory and the HD spinning up though.

how is the video on the IPOD screen? good to know this stuff so thanks :yes:

For a 2.5" screen, it's not bad, not a feature I use a lot, but nice when you want to watch a movie in bed or or an episode of a tv show between classes. Only bad thing, is that because the HD is spinning all the time, the battery will only last about 2-2.5 hours if only watching movies. It is possible to run videos at 640x480 now, so if you've got the space and right bitrate, even TV out is more than usable.

its ok, not good. videos look better on my zen vision m

All a matter of opinion. What was the point of that post? Honestly, the title of this is iPod 30GB Review, he is obviously interested in the iPod, not the Zen vision m.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my black 30GB iPOD and I'm loving it. Dont know why I waited this long for it. The pod is replacing my previous portable music player was a Sony MZR-70 MiniDisc Player (still in top working condition). Its biggest drawback was recording music in realtime - instead of instant drag and drop (disk mode) (or import via itunes) like the iPOD.

All in all, your comments on this thread and others alike on the 5g 30GB iPod Video was very helpful in buying this product.

2 thumbs up to you all members of Neowin!

Used it for a day..watched southpark and listen to a couple of songs not bad, i thought the screen was going to be bad for watching video but not to bad its really good.

iTunes is awesome best organizer.

• 4 months later...

I currently interested in getting iPod video 30 gigs. So I don't know: get this thing now, or maybe i need to wait for the next gen of iPOd? :unsure:

And, it's really that easily can be scratched as 1 gen nanos?

thanks.